Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2)
This topic is about Grey Sister
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Grey Sister [Jan 1, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4608 comments Mod
Jan 1st.

message 2: by Gazi (new) - added it

Gazi Nuzhat | 21 comments I'm in

Solseit | 1460 comments I am in! In fact, I started this morning.
I appreciated so much the recap at the beginning of the book. Absolutely precious.

I am through chapter 10.

I still love how socially awkward Nona is. She is this unique character portrayed in a convincing way - at least well enough to convince me.

The plot is immediately thick. I am disliking the “usual” bully of the class.
I am always waiting for the story to escalate and become more addictive!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm going to be a couple days late. Will try to start this week.

Solseit | 1460 comments I am through chapter 27.
What an amazing ride so far. It takes a while to build momentum yet it is worth it. I am struggling to put the boom down now.

(view spoiler).

I cannot wait to be home and resume reading!!

Solseit | 1460 comments I just blasted my way to the end of the book and I can only say positive things about the book! In fact, this might be one of my all time favorite middle book of a trilogy.
I do not want to voice much more in terms of content - I am curious to see what the rest think about the book!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Solseit wrote: "I just blasted my way to the end of the book and I can only say positive things about the book! In fact, this might be one of my all time favorite middle book of a trilogy.
I do not want to voice ..."

Glad you liked it! I'll likely start it tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

Anni | 5048 comments Haha, I came here and thought I need to scroll down to Lawrence, to add a comment that I will start tonight, but thanks to you Charlie it already popped up in the updates :)

message 10: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5048 comments Oh and I love the recaps Lawrence wrote, a lot more authors should do this, it's so helpful! I'm especially happy because the world was explained again and I guess I missed bits reading the first book, because the world buildung became a lot clearer!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Just started and read the recap, it really was helpful, I'd forgotten loads.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Chapter 1 complete! (view spoiler)

message 13: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5048 comments Charlie wrote: "Chapter 1 complete! [spoilers removed]"

Yes! Her name alone is great! :)

message 14: by Charlie (last edited Jan 11, 2019 02:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm now about 67 pages in and really enjoying it. I'm super intrigued by (view spoiler)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Starting now!

message 16: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5048 comments I'm somewhere in the middle of chapter 14 and so far I enjoy this way more than the first book! My problem with the first one was mainly that the characters stayed a little flat the whole time and they are growing on me a lit more here!

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments So far my favourite character is (view spoiler)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm now about 67 pages in and really enjoying it. I'm super intrigued by [spoilers removed]"

Chapter 8 Yes! (view spoiler)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Chapter 8 (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote:

I keep thinking Nona (view spoiler)

message 21: by Anni (last edited Jan 14, 2019 07:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5048 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote: "Charlie wrote: "I'm now about 67 pages in and really enjoying it. I'm super intrigued by [spoilers removed]"

Chapter 8 Yes!..."

Haha, yes I could totally see them doing so!

Your other spoiler: (view spoiler)

message 22: by Laura Tenfingers (last edited Jan 14, 2019 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments @Anni IKR? chapter 8 (view spoiler)

@Charlie You're probably right. (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I see this thread is gaining traction. I wasn't sure if I was going to skip this one this month, but I think I can squeeze it in. I'll start tonight.

message 24: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5048 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I see this thread is gaining traction. I wasn't sure if I was going to skip this one this month, but I think I can squeeze it in. I'll start tonight."

Yay! :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Glad to have you Diana! I'm reading 3 books at once so i'll be here a while, no rush to catch up :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Chapter 13 complete. (view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Ha! I'm in the same boat. I think I'm reading or listening to 6 books right now. Def a record for me lol.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Haha at one point in Nov I think I was up to 6, it's overwhelming!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I'm somewhere in the middle of chapter 14 and so far I enjoy this way more than the first book! My problem with the first one was mainly that the characters stayed a little flat the whole time and ..."

@Anni I read Nevernight then Red sister straight after last year. This year I finished Godsgrave a few days ago and then started this book. Reading them together I can definitely see similarities, though I love both series.

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Through chapter 18. Definitely enjoying it more than the first book. (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Just read chapter 14, Glass is definitely up to something! I wish I knew what it was!

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Through chapter 22

I don't think I'm the right audience for this book. (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm 169 pages in, we've just had the Shade Trial! (view spoiler)

message 34: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5048 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm 169 pages in, we've just had the Shade Trial! [spoilers removed]"

Yes! (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Charlie wrote: "I'm 169 pages in, we've just had the Shade Trial! [spoilers removed]"

Yes! [spoilers removed]"

I think that too. Great writing, I was pleasantly surprised. I loved the use of (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Page 183 and I'm scared to read any more! (view spoiler)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Charlie wrote: "Page 183 and I'm scared to read any more! [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments It's madness! (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I read a bit more last night, onto page 278 and i'm so anxious!! (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Up to 353 (chapter 41) and everything is kicking off.

Nona (view spoiler)

Glass (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Finished! what a freaking ride! The last 100 pages or so were so intense. The pacing really picked up and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

(view spoiler)

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Sorry folks, I didn't like it 😢😢

message 43: by Charlie (last edited Jan 18, 2019 06:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote: "Sorry folks, I didn't like it 😢😢"

Aw no! What a shame Laura, I hope your next read is much better for you!

You got anything good planned?

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments I think I need some mood reading. How can I already feel overscheduled by buddy reads? It's only January! 😅😅 Probably some historical fiction...

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Haha I'm over-scheduled too! I swore I wasn't going to overbook myself but I've already broken my rule.

message 46: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5048 comments I'm now done as well! :) I liked it a lot better than the first one, it was something between 3.5 and 4 stars, so I just rounded it up! I still had some problems with Lawrence way of story telling, sometimes, to me, it feels like he's trying too hard... But overall it was an enjoyable, fast-paced read :) I liked the characters a lot more in this one, a little more depth would have been great, but I found them a lot more likeable in this one!

(view spoiler)

I'm looking forward to see how everything will come together in the final book :)