Play Book Tag discussion

American Wolf
This topic is about American Wolf
Archive: Other Books > American Wolf by Nate Blakeslee - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 4606 comments Non-fiction about the reintroduction of wolves into Yellowstone in Wyoming in the mid-1990s. Park ranger Rick McIntyre, after spending time at Denali in Alaska, relocated to Wyoming, and became a diligent wolf observer, documenting wolf behavior over the course of years. The storyline focuses on an alpha female, O-Six (the year of her birth), and pack behavior throughout the region.

I found this book extremely informative and well-written. The author has a knack of converting notes, interviews, and research into a cohesive and compelling story. It communicates the passion of the wolf-watchers of Yellowstone, as well as portraying the differing points of view of hunters and ranchers. The book excels when it focuses on O-Six, her pack, and the other Yellowstone packs. I was very interested in the portions on the wolves and animal behavior but less fond of the chapters on politics. Unfortunately, a book of this sort was almost required to delve into the political aspects of wolf-hunting. The author illuminates the environmental benefits of a thriving ecosystem, complete with both predators and prey, eventually leading to balance.

Obviously, in the wild lots of harm comes to animals through a variety of means, so if you are sensitive to animals being injured or killed, you may want to skim or skip certain segments. Recommended to those interested in animal behavior, wolves, or environmentalism.

Link to my full review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Booknblues | 6850 comments This sounds like one I would be interested in.

message 3: by Tracy (last edited Sep 03, 2018 09:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments I liked this. There’s also another one that came out the year before: Coyote America: A Natural and Supernatural History that was good, too.

Booknblues | 6850 comments Thanks, I think that coyotes would be really interesting to read about.

message 5: by Cheryl (new) - added it

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Coyote America was wonderful. I'll look into this, too.