Polls for Our Souls discussion

Random > Leaving you

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

AℳY♔Queen of Fat cats♔민윤기's fiancé (emyoverland) I'm tired of getting so many invitations to vote for new books I never read. Jeez, don't use the group to advertise New releases. It used to be a funny group when the polls were more diverse. Sometimes new releases, sometimes old books, sometimes random stuff that wasn't even book related.

Good luck you all!

message 2: by Creative Orange (last edited Sep 03, 2018 05:04AM) (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments AMY ♥(pronounced AH-MEI)♥ wrote: "I'm tired of getting so many invitations to vote for new books I never read. Jeez, don't use the group to advertise New releases. It used to be a funny group when the polls were more diverse. Somet..."

Actually we won't know if you have read the book or not. It's not just about you, you know. There is no need to be rude about leaving the group.

message 3: by Corinne (last edited Sep 03, 2018 05:55PM) (new)

Corinne Rumell wrote: "AMY ♥(pronounced AH-MEI)♥ wrote: "I'm tired of getting so many invitations to vote for new books I never read. Jeez, don't use the group to advertise New releases. It used to be a funny group when ..."

If it's a book that was published just this year it's likely most of us haven't read it, yet. Some of us wait until the paperback is available or when the ebook is discounted.

message 4: by Creative Orange (last edited Sep 04, 2018 01:42AM) (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments I've read couple of books this year. Some of us don't wait and just read books immediately. It's only 50% of you most likely of not reading it. So let the moderator bring any book as they wish since they will not know what you have read or haven't read.

message 5: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 448 comments I'm not leaving over that, because there are some great things on here, but I do agree that sometimes the polls of "what should I read next" get to be tiresome. Maybe if people structured them more and included fewer choices they wouldn't be so overwhelming?

message 6: by Creative Orange (last edited Sep 04, 2018 02:13PM) (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments Well you can vote with your instincts if you want.

⭐Anny⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 640 comments I agree with Melliott. Sometimes if I'm overwhelmed or don't know the books in a poll I just don't vote at all. But to each their own, and imo that's not a thing to make a big discussion about.

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments Sometimes when I come across with polls with books that I haven't read what I would do just pick the one that would interest me the most. This is an advice.

message 9: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) | 126 comments ⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess) wrote: "I agree with Melliott. Sometimes if I'm overwhelmed or don't know the books in a poll I just don't vote at all. But to each their own, and imo that's not a thing to make a big discussion about."

Exactly

message 10: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments I was just giving advice.

message 11: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael | 154 comments Rumell wrote: "AMY ♥(pronounced AH-MEI)♥ wrote: "I'm tired of getting so many invitations to vote for new books I never read. Jeez, don't use the group to advertise New releases. It used to be a funny group when ..."
I agree Rumell

message 12: by Corinne (new)

Corinne Rumell wrote: "Some of us don't wait and just read books immediately..."
By using your same logic and quoting your own words. It's not just about you, you know. I bet you the majority of members of this group doesn't buy new releases as soon as they're published. Some of goodreads features such as this group and listopia are used to promote new releases and that's spam.

message 13: by Corinne (last edited Sep 09, 2018 05:28PM) (new)

Corinne Rumell wrote: "This is an advice."

This is my advice. Don't open any poll invitation that starts with "Help me decide what to read next". How are we going to know what your tastes are? And it might be just spam promoting YA releases. Not cool.

message 14: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments This group is called Polls for our Souls. Any polls will pop up. That is the key thing about this group.

message 15: by Corinne (last edited Sep 09, 2018 05:28PM) (new)

Corinne Rumell wrote: "This group is called Polls for our Souls. Any polls will pop up. That is the key thing about this group."

The word any implies intrinsically a wide variety of polls. "Any polls" popping up is fine with me. Polls that always start with "What should I read next" to showcase new releases not giving you the option of adding write-ins is spam. That's not what this group should be about and that's what Amy said. She's entitled to leave and state her reasons as much as you're entitled to disagree with her complaints. Once, I received six "What I should read next" once after another. Most of the books in those polls were YA books published just this year that obviously most members haven't read yet, and I call that spam. Not everyone reads YA and even less new releases, but everyone received those invites.

message 16: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments It is not spam. What you see is what you get. If you get a poll with no write-in then you get no write-in. If you get write-in you get write-in. She can leave if she wants but it is rude to leave a group and make a discussion about it. She should've sent a message to the Moderator since they work hard to make this group work. The moderator may have a system and we should respect that. If there is a poll you do not like then you can ignore them. It is really simple. Only 50% of us read YA books. There are other polls in this group based on other genres not necessarily just YA. Plus it is up to you to have freedom to make these polls. It is the members who create the polls anyway. You can make that change. The moderator has given right for members to be creative with the Polls. Just because there are polls that don't apply to you doesn't mean it is spam. You said not everyone reads YA. Do you know the actual percentage?

message 17: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments There are books that I haven't read yet. but still I accept it because I know other people have.

message 18: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments This is the description of the group. You can even look at the homepage: This club is just a place for people to create polls and have people in the club vote on them. Only join this group if you are okay getting many, many poll invites. Each individual shouldn't create more than three polls in one day.

The key words are Only join this group if you are okay getting many, many poll invites.

message 19: by Creative Orange (last edited Sep 09, 2018 06:37PM) (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments Corinne wrote: "Rumell wrote: "Some of us don't wait and just read books immediately..."
By using your same logic and quoting your own words. It's not just about you, you know. I bet you the majority of members of..."

You are not using my logic at all. When I say some of us. I mean the half of the group. Amy was specifically talking about herself

message 20: by Creative Orange (last edited Sep 11, 2018 01:42PM) (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments Persephone, the Protector of Pluto! [Mykayla] wrote: "Rumell wrote: "This group is about polls. And that is all it is about. You are given the freedom to create polls."

but that doesnt mean you have to answer them or invite everyone to them! and if y..."

It is also down to the person who makes these polls. You would expect any poll. There are statistically 6,322 members in this group. How will all those members know what your preferences are? Also the polls do not have to be book related.

Plus you'd are at a wrong group if you don't like these polls.

message 21: by Pam (new)

Pam Carmichael | 154 comments My goodness all this mess about polls, if you don't want to do them then don't, if you do, do so, gosh we are all readers of all kinds of books, let it be

message 22: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments I agree with Pam.

message 23: by Karen (last edited Sep 13, 2018 04:34PM) (new)

Karen | 2 comments AMY ♥(pronounced AH-MEI)♥ wrote: "It used to be a funny group when the polls were more diverse. Sometimes new releases, sometimes old books, sometimes random stuff that wasn't even book related"

Since this discussion started the "What should I read next" polls have diminished drastically, in fact I haven't received a single invitation to those lately because there has been more diversity in the kind of polls members create and invite us to participate in. Maybe it's a coincidence but kudos to Amy for posting what many of us have always thought and never dared to post. Come back to us.

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen | 2 comments Melliott wrote: "I'm not leaving over that, because there are some great things on here, but I do agree that sometimes the polls of "what should I read next" get to be tiresome. Maybe if people structured them more..."

I agree with you 100%.

message 25: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments Karen wrote: "AMY ♥(pronounced AH-MEI)♥ wrote: "It used to be a funny group when the polls were more diverse. Sometimes new releases, sometimes old books, sometimes random stuff that wasn't even book related"

S..."

I agree.

message 26: by Corinne (last edited Sep 14, 2018 07:28PM) (new)

Corinne I just received an invitation to vote in a poll that starts with "Help me what to purchase next". It includes a lot of books most of us haven't read or are planning reading because those books haven't been published yet and one of them is an August 2018 release, obviously most of us haven't read that book. I wonder if this person includes those titles to promote those titles to the rest of us, but I usually consider this kind of polls spam. I won't leave the group on something like that, but I hope the moderators take note and keep the spam at minimum.

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 319 comments The solution, of course, is to post more of the other kind of polls. If people don't care enough to post them, they won't get posted.

message 28: by ElsaMakotoRenge (new)

ElsaMakotoRenge (mantaicysnowflake) | 31 comments I don’t think all the “what to buy next” “what to read next” polls are spam, but I do get sick of them. Sometimes it seems like there’s nothing else. Snore. I don’t really get why people want to be told what to read next anyway. I like picking my own books out.

message 29: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments I agree with you Elsa

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Have read some of this and well here are my two cents:
Yes there are a lot of What to read next or buy next.
But If I dont want to vote I simply wount.
I wouldent call it spam not to allow for write ins, maybe you are stuck between 3 books you really want to buy but only have money for one. Having a poll would be practical then.
I do often get invited to vote in polls where I have read none of the options but then I simply either a) vote for the book I think will be the best read\anticipate most or b) not vote at all. If none of them interest me.
Leaving the group because there are too many of a certain kind of poll is your choice but I dont understand why you would start this thread. I mean its POLLS FOR OUR SOULS, they post polls they want answered sometimes it will be lots of polls you like sometimes it wount. The moderators have NO power over how to change the polls being made.

message 31: by Creative Orange (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) | 1012 comments I agree with you.