Play Book Tag discussion

A Man Called Ove
This topic is about A Man Called Ove
September 2018: Friendship > A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Sep 04, 2018 06:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments September and Decathlon Crossover Tags

This is a funny and very emotional read about a grumpy old man, and the circle of friends that form organically around him. I loved this read, did not want to stop reading it, but had to take breaks to deal with the intensity of feeling this smacks you with.

I liked that the book started in a center part of Ove's life (when he meets Parvaneh and her chaotic 'unmanageable' family) and then spreads out in all directions time wise, both to episodes in his earlier life and more recent past, and forward as his life progressed after the meeting. So much heartbreak surrounds Ove's life, while he sticks adamantly to his beliefs and to what he believes is right.

The characters in this completely made the story for me, I loved all of the close knit group. Basically, this is a simply wonderful read.

Booknblues | 6893 comments I loved this book and read it early on before it got immensely popular, but strangely it is the only Fredrik Backman which I have read.

I know everyone else loves his other books as well, so don't know what my hesitation is all about.

message 3: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Sep 02, 2018 05:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments This is the only Backman book that I have read, too. I feel a bit emotionally drained after reading this, which makes me think about waiting a bit before reading another of his books!

annapi | 5160 comments Loved this one too, and the movie is very good as well! I thought the actress who played Parvaneh was just perfect.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! I've got this on my list to read and it seems that everyone who reads it, loves it. I've got to find time to get to this book.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9388 comments He’s a favorite as an author. All four of his five books that I have read have been stunning. I meant six. As there’s a sequel to bear town.

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments That is high praise, Amy! Good to know that his other books are also wonderful. Onto my tbr mountain they shall go!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments Loved Ove ...

Jillian | 10 comments This is one of my favorites of all time. Grab tissue; I sobbed...for a while... but in an absolute good way.