What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Cross of Lead (Crispin, #1)
This topic is about The Cross of Lead
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Fiction Young-Adult Mystery Book, young boy goes to a church in a different village or town and he meets a man. This man reads what the ring says and the young boy uses it to black mail the king, after he learns the king is his father. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Albert (new)

Albert | 2 comments I can't seem to remember the name of this book. It's a book where a young boy inherits jewelry from his mother, I believe it was a rosary or a ring with the King's name on it, but the main character (the young boy) doesn't know how to read. The book is based on a medieval setting. In the first few chapters, after the main character's mother dies their hut gets burned down. Later, the young boy goes to a church in a different village or town and he meets a man. This man reads what the ring says and the young boy uses it to black mail the king, after he learns the king is his father. The king makes an agreement that the boy will be safe and no longer hunted as long as he does not reveal he is the son of the king. I read this book around 2012 in English, and it won a some sort of prize, I believe it had a silver sticker and I got it from my English teacher's library in 7th grade. I borrowed this book here in the United States. I believe the cover page was a boy looking at a dark castle or some sort of path that lead up a mountain. I can recall that the cover image used mainly dark colors and I believe the boy was towards the bottom right of the picture. I would appreciate quick replies because I need this for a college application. If you looked through this, thank you so much for your time!

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (swynn68) | 81 comments Possibly Avi's The Cross of Lead, which won the Newbery Award in 2003.

message 3: by Albert (new)

Albert | 2 comments Stephen wrote: "Possibly Avi's The Cross of Lead, which won the Newbery Award in 2003."
Yes, that's it. Thank you so much!