Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > The Best S.S. of O. Henry - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 3979 comments Mod
Please use this thread to discuss the book freely!

message 2: by John (new)

John I've read through the first 7 stories. I thought I'd review as I go.

The Gift of the Magi: I read this in 6th grade. I remember it being longer with more emotion and suspense.
A Cosmopolite in a Café: I felt lost in the disjointed writing. I had a feeling I knew the ending before I got there, which was pretty quickly since the story is so short.
Man About Town: seemed pointless.
The Cop and the Anthem: This was like reading a Charlie Chaplin script, except I didn't find the ending funny. However the contrast between Soapy's condition and his internal language was good.
The Love-Philtre of Ikey Schoenstein: I enjoyed the pictures of a turn of the century drugstore, but again I saw the ending coming.
Mammon and the Archer: I'm getting a little tired of the surprise endings, but this one made me laugh.
Springtime a la Carte: boring. didn't like this one at all.

We'll see if I make it through all these stories. They do seem to be a little less than stories, more like snapshots with captions.

message 3: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

John wrote: "I've read through the first 7 stories. I thought I'd review as I go.

The Gift of the Magi: I read this in 6th grade. I remember it being longer with more emotion and suspense.
A Cosmopolite in a C..."

Oh boy John! I have the book but haven't started it yet. I've only read The Gift of the Magi, many times. I'm sorry you aren't enjoying it too much. Now I can hardly wait to read it! 😏

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments I think Springtime a la Carte was a cute story.
O'Henry seems to have a lot of sympathy for young women who work hard for little pay.
He is known for the "twists"of his endings.

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments The Furnished Room is the darkest story so far.

message 6: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

I should be starting this one soon.

message 7: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments The Passing of Black Eagle is a fun western story with a great final line.

message 8: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments The Duplicity of Hargraves has a typical O'Henry ending, in a good way.

message 9: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "The Duplicity of Hargraves has a typical O'Henry ending, in a good way."

Sounds like you're enjoying what you're reading so far Rosemarie.

message 10: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments I am. The stories are generally humourous, but every once in a while they are poignant or even sad.

message 11: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments Transients in Arcadia is a cute story.

message 12: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments A Harlem Tragedy is not a real tragedy, it is just an awful story.

message 13: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "A Harlem Tragedy is not a real tragedy, it is just an awful story."

😏😬😂🤣😊