Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > The Chronicles of Narnia - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 3979 comments Mod
Please use this thread to discuss the book freely!

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian Slater (yohanan) | 75 comments For those just getting started, there is the beginning of a discussion of the preferred reading order (I will NOT say "correct") on the non-spoilers thread.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

This may be of interest to you as you begin your exploration of Narnia. And veteran readers might want to join in.

Some of the issues in that discussion, if it continues, will involve plot points and characterizations, so it may (or may not) continue here, if people choose not to litter their messages with "Spoiler" alert notices.

message 3: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Ian wrote: "For those just getting started, there is the beginning of a discussion of the preferred reading order (I will NOT say "correct") on the non-spoilers thread.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/19..."

Ian, this is the spoiler thread and members can spoil away. No spoiler alerts are necessary. Members know that the non-spoiler thread is for first impressions, non-spoiler, background and general information.

message 4: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 436 comments Going to start with this around mid month when I return home. I always wanted to read this series. Excited.

message 5: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "Going to start with this around mid month when I return home. I always wanted to read this series. Excited."

Me too Piyangie! Looking forward to your thoughts!

message 6: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 436 comments I finished the Magician's Nephew. This was a good introductory book to the world of Narnia and certain of its characters. Personally, I'm glad that I started off with this one and got the idea of what to expect in the rest of the chronicles to come.

message 7: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 436 comments Finished Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Its movie version is what made me fall in love with Chronicles of Narnia in the first place.

If there ever was a lion I loved, it is definitely Aslan! 😘

message 8: by WhatIReallyRead (last edited Sep 23, 2018 06:34AM) (new)

WhatIReallyRead | 372 comments I've read the whole of Narnia series back to back at age 18. It was my first fantasy book, I think. Or at least, I was not interested in the fantasy genre before, and only read realistic classics. To me it seemed like fantasy genre was too distracted by the word-building and magic to have any substance, and I found it lacking compared to realistic books.

Chronicles of Narnia turned my opinions around. I read it more like a parable and metaphoric reflection on religion. It made me think a lot. I found a lot of depth in it and my prejudice against the genre was thus ruined. It was very interesting for me to explore, as I was raised in an atheistic family and Narnia was created by an obviously religious person.

message 9: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments C.S. Lewis grew up without religion but discovered his faith when he was a young man. He tells us about his experiences in the book Surprised by Joy.

message 10: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

WhatIReallyRead wrote: "I've read the whole of Narnia series back to back at age 18. It was my first fantasy book, I think. Or at least, I was not interested in the fantasy genre before, and only read realistic classics. ..."

Happy to know that you read the book and enjoyed it Anna. Isn't it wonderful when you read something out of your comfort zone and it just opens your eyes to a whole new reading experience? 😊

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

message 11: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "C.S. Lewis grew up without religion but discovered his faith when he was a young man. He tells us about his experiences in the book Surprised by Joy."

Thanks for the information Rosemarie. I didn't know that about C.S. Lewis. I think I have Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life on my bookshelf,

message 12: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments It is a lovely book, Loretta. And not very long!

message 13: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments I just finished Prince Caspian and loved it. It wasn't my first reading, but I hadn't read it for a long time, so it was a wonderful fresh experience.
Re the plot:
When will the older siblings learn to listen to Lucy? She has the closest rapport with Aslan, and if she says she's seen him, she has.
Lewis creates the character Lucy especially for his grand-daughter, so that is probably why she is the most aware about Narnia and its magic.
Edmund has become a much stronger character since we first met him in the Lion, etc.

message 14: by Natasha (new)

Natasha MacQuarrie | 6 comments My September reading started strong but went off the rails. I read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and loved it again. I’ve started Prince Caspian which I will finish. I think I’ll pick at the other books depending on what October book picks are. Have they been announced yet?

message 15: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Natasha wrote: "My September reading started strong but went off the rails. I read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and loved it again. I’ve started Prince Caspian which I will finish. I think I’ll pick at the..."

Yes Natasha. The October reads have been decided and are on the top of our homepage.

message 16: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 436 comments I've finished five. Taking a small break from Narnian world for the present. I hope to read the next two this month.

message 17: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "I've finished five. Taking a small break from Narnian world for the present. I hope to read the next two this month."

Trying desperately to finish reading the books I'm currently reading. I broke open my copy of The Chronicles of Narnia and read the first few pages. I'm kind of stumped because it seems very familiar but I know I never read it before. Maybe I started it at some point and stopped?

Piyangie, please take your time reading and enjoy the book. The threads will open and I'll be with you and the other members soon!

message 18: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 436 comments Loretta wrote: "Trying desperately to finish reading the books I'm currently ..."

I understand too well, Loretta. 😊 I pushed back some of the books to accommodate the Chronicles. Now they demand my attention! 😂

message 19: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Started again. The book sort of reminds me of Alice in Wonderland.