Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > The Chronicles of Narnia - Non-Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 3979 comments Mod
Please use this thread for first impressions (non-spoilers), background and general information.

message 2: by Rosemarie (last edited Sep 02, 2018 12:04PM) (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments I have read these books at least three times.
I recommend that you read them in publishing order, not the order suggested by some sources which do them in chronological order.
The Magician's Nephew was written after The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, and half the joy in reading The Magician's Nephew is the "so that's why it's like that in Narnia!" moment.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian Slater (yohanan) | 75 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I recommend that you read them in publishing order, not the order suggested by some sources which do them in chronological order...."

I'm of two minds about this: I read "The Magician's Nephew" first, purely by accident -- I was looking for something else by the author of "Out of the Silent Planet, and that was what was on the library shelf that day.

I enjoyed it, and was delighted to recognize features of it when I got around to reading "Lion...." So it can work both ways.

For those without ready access to the information on the two orders, I provide the breakdown of publication order (with dates writing, which for a couple of books do not line up exactly), and the "official" order by internal chronology. This information is readily available in the Wikipedia article on Narnia (where I confirmed some of my memories), but is there presented with plot summaries, so you may want to avoid it.

Publication Order, with Dates of Writing
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (1950): completed by the end of March 1949
Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia (1951): completed after Christmas 1949
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952): written between January and February 1950
The Silver Chair (1953): completed at the beginning of March 1951
The Horse and His Boy (1954): begun in March and completed at the end of July 1950
The Magician's Nephew (1955): completed in February 1954
The Last Battle (1956): completed in March 1953

Order by Internal Chronology
The Magician's Nephew
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle

Lewis made some small changes for the American editions of "Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and "Voyage of the Dawn Treader," which were obliterated when HarperCollins decided to use the British first editions as their base text for all editions, along with giving them an official numbering. This can lead to some confusion when readers of different generations compare notes. I will probably mention one of them in the Spoilers thread.

For the curious, these issues are discussed in Paul Ford's Companion to Narnia: A Complete Guide to the Magical World of C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia, which I reviewed on Amazon back in 2005:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...

message 4: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Dee ~ Chillin’ Out wrote: "I am just starting ‘The Horse and His Boy, and really don’t know what to expect. But I will come back with a review in my non spoiling way, and let you know how I went."

Please make sure you use the "Spoilers" thread for your comments.

Thank you.

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments I have been re-reading one book a year. This year it will be Prince Caspian.

message 6: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 436 comments I've started with the Magician's Nephew.

message 7: by Natasha (new)

Natasha MacQuarrie | 6 comments I just finished The Lion, The Witch and The wardrobe and it was better than I remembered. So fun reading the way the kids speak to each other so different than kids in my classrooms. lol. Next it’s Prince Caspian; I’m reading them in the published order. So fun!

message 8: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Natasha wrote: "I just finished The Lion, The Witch and The wardrobe and it was better than I remembered. So fun reading the way the kids speak to each other so different than kids in my classrooms. lol. Next it’s..."

Glad you're enjoying the book Natasha. I'll be joking you early next week. 😊

message 9: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "I've started with the Magician's Nephew."

That's the one I'll be starting too Piyangie.

message 10: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I have been re-reading one book a year. This year it will be Prince Caspian."

How many times have you read the book Rosemarie?

message 11: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments I think three times, Loretta, over the course of a few decades. I first read them in my 20s and devoured them one after the other. I was hooked!

message 12: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 436 comments Loretta wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "I've started with the Magician's Nephew."

That's the one I'll be starting too Piyangie."

I thought I'll be reading the series in the chronological order and not in publication order. I finished the Magician's Nephew and now on to the more popular Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

message 13: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I think three times, Loretta, over the course of a few decades. I first read them in my 20s and devoured them one after the other. I was hooked!"

Well, that's good to know Rosemarie! 😊

message 14: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Sep 16, 2018 04:39AM) (new)

Piyangie wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Piyangie wrote: "I've started with the Magician's Nephew."

That's the one I'll be starting too Piyangie."

I thought I'll be reading the series in the chronological order and not i..."

That will be the first one I read too Piyangie because the book I have, which is this edition, The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) by C.S. Lewis starts with The Magican's Nephew.

message 15: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 436 comments Loretta wrote: "That will be the first one I read too Piyangie because the book I have, which is this edition, The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) by C.S. Lewis starts with The Magican's Nephew. ..."

I wish to have this book one day. Currently I'm reading Audio/E books.

message 16: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "Loretta wrote: "That will be the first one I read too Piyangie because the book I have, which is this edition, The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) by C.S. Lewis starts with The Ma..."

Hope you acquire it soon Piyangie! 😊

message 17: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 436 comments Loretta wrote: "Hope you acquire it soon Piyangie! 😊
..."

Thank you, Loretta. I hope too. 😊

message 18: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1170 comments I'm rereading Prince Caspian, but it has so long since I read it that it is like reading it for the first time. 🤗

message 19: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Hope you acquire it soon Piyangie! 😊
..."

Thank you, Loretta. I hope too. 😊"

😊

message 20: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I'm rereading Prince Caspian, but it has so long since I read it that it is like reading it for the first time. 🤗"

I love when that happens Rosemarie! Glad you're enjoying! 😊

message 21: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 436 comments I just finished Prince Caspian. Enjoying this series immensely.😊

message 22: by Natasha (new)

Natasha MacQuarrie | 6 comments I also just finished Prince Caspian, I do not remember reading this one when I was young. I really enjoyed it, the story, characters and the way they speak. Now on to the third book, I’m following the published order. Slowly

message 23: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 436 comments I've finished six books in the Chronicles and hopefully will get to the seventh and last one soon. Anyone else reading the entire Chronicles?

message 24: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "I've finished six books in the Chronicles and hopefully will get to the seventh and last one soon. Anyone else reading the entire Chronicles?"

I started and stopped but I'm definitely getting back to the series.