Our Classical Journey discussion

Books Read in 2017-2018 > Night and Day - Non-Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 3979 comments Mod
Please use this thread for first impressions (non-spoilers), background and general information.

message 2: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Just curious if anyone will be reading this book? I'm not a fan of Woolf, so I know I won't be reading it, although I know we have many members who are fans.

message 3: by John (new)

John I wasn’t planning on it.

message 4: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

John wrote: "I wasn’t planning on it."

Thanks John. I was just curious where the members were who voted for the book were. 😊

message 5: by Piyangie (last edited Sep 15, 2018 08:28AM) (new)

Piyangie | 436 comments Loretta wrote: "John wrote: "I wasn’t planning on it."

Thanks John. I was just curious where the members were who voted for the book were. 😊"

That is very curious. 😊 I think I nominated it, for I was reading it at the time. I never thought it'll win the votes. 😊

message 6: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 436 comments Anyway since I did the nomination, I feel obliged to at least pen few of my thoughts here.

Night and Day is one of Virginia's early works - the second written to be precise. I have read some of her later works before this and I was surprised to find that in Night and Day Virginia has tried to conform to the Victorian structure of a novel. I have read she was an ardent admirer of Victorian literature, so it was perhaps natural for her to be influenced by Victorian model.

But when I say conform with Victorian structure, I mean comparatively; for she is a free writer and her thoughts cannot be confined to one accepted structure.

This being one of her early works, it is less experimental. And I think if one likes to give a try with Virginia Woolf ( I know she is not everyone's cup of coffee) I think this work is a good start (that is if you are keen on her fiction). Otherwise, the best option is to get an idea in to her writing is to read A Room of One's Own.

I'm a Virginia Woolf fan, but I must admit my first attempt to read her was an utter failure. If my memory serves me right, that was To the Lighthouse. I read few paragraphs and gave up and decided never to read her ever again. Then somehow I took courage and read her "A Room of One's Own" and fell in love with her work. I haven't returned "To the Lighthouse" yet. But since I have read four of her works (including Night and Day) and loved them all. I hope I can say the same with "To the Lighthouse" when I get to it again.

message 7: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "Anyway since I did the nomination, I feel obliged to at least pen few of my thoughts here.

Night and Day is one of Virginia's early works - the second written to be precise. I have read some of he..."

Trust me Piyangie you weren't the only one who voted for the book but I thank you for posting your thoughts! 😊