Genre Readers looking to expand discussion

2018 Monthly Genres > SEPTEMBER - URBAN FICTION

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1208 comments Mod
We had a 4 way tie so I let my daughter pick the winner from the tie- and we will be reading URBAN FICTION this month.

What is Urban Fiction?
According to Wikipedia it is:
"Urban fiction, also known as street lit or street fiction is a literary genre set in a city landscape; however, the genre is as much defined by the socio-economic realities and culture of its characters as the urban setting. The tone for urban fiction is usually dark, focusing on the underside of city living. Profanity, sex, and violence are usually explicit, with the writer not shying away from or watering-down the material. Most authors of this genre draw upon their past experiences to depict their storylines."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_f...

This thread is where we will be discussing this genre; this includes books read this month, books and authors you love/hate in this genre or just your thoughts on the genre in general.

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Melissa (new)

I searched through listopia on Urban Fiction and these 2 books I found on the list are already on my TBR so I am going to try them.

Red-Headed Stepchild
The Hate U Give

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 405 comments I am going to read The Hate U Give this month as well.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

I finished The Hate You Give.

I thought it had a powerful message and decent writing.

The only thing that really pulled me out of the story and affected my enjoyment was all the slang. I understand using slang but this seemed to be an abundance of it. Every sentence, whole sentences which interrupted the flow while you read your way through all of it.

There were some really great characters in the story as well and the interaction between them was well done.

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Read Finding Mighty.

I really liked the idea of it and the story was OK but I kept waiting for it to pull together and become something more than it was.
The description of the books says "thrown into a world of parkour moved, graffiti, and missing diamonds" which sounded more exciting than the book was. All of this seemed to be on the edges of the story, so maybe I was expecting to much from the book.

It did a good job of focusing on relationships and understanding people though, so it had a nice message to it.