♥ Nothing Better Than Reading!! ♥ discussion

Spare and Found Parts
This topic is about Spare and Found Parts
Book/Genre of the Month > Spare and Found Parts - September 2018

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ipshita (new) - added it

Ipshita (miss_romanceaholic) | 2701 comments Mod
Nell Crane has always been an outsider. In a city devastated by an epidemic, where survivors are all missing parts—an arm, a leg, an eye—her father is the famed scientist who created the biomechanical limbs everyone now uses. But Nell is the only one whose mechanical piece is on the inside: her heart. Since the childhood operation, she has ticked. Like a clock, like a bomb. As her community rebuilds, everyone is expected to contribute to the society’s good . . . but how can Nell live up to her father’s revolutionary idea when she has none of her own?

Then she finds a mannequin hand while salvaging on the beach—the first boy’s hand she’s ever held—and inspiration strikes. Can Nell build her own companion in a world that fears advanced technology? The deeper she sinks into this plan, the more she learns about her city—and her father, who is hiding secret experiments of his own.

Share your thoughts here!

message 2: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (a1ison74) | 418 comments I'm so happy this got picked. I really enjoyed it. Frankenstein retellings like this (well it's kind of a retelling) are pretty rare and I loved how the author twisted it, bringing in the dystopian elements.

Despite being set in the future I thought there was also a bit of a gothic feel to it which I loved. Also loved how different main character Nell was. She's not the nicest or most likeable but she's smart, resourceful and very intriguing.

message 3: by Ipshita (new) - added it

I did not realise this was a Frankenstein retelling. But now that I know, I'm adding it to my TBR :)

message 4: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison (a1ison74) | 418 comments It's possibly more of an inspired by Frankenstein rather than a direct retelling but definitely recommend. It is a little slow to get going but has some very interesting and different characters and pretty much no romance which makes a nice change.

message 5: by Ipshita (new) - added it

Got it. I'll try to read it :)