What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > fiction novel about a modern british royal family, and a fictional King named Richard IV

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joseph (last edited Jan 26, 2020 12:35PM) (new)

Joseph (jsaltal) This is a novel about fictionalized British royal family in the modern day. The previous King dies, and his oldest son takes the throne as Richard IV. There are people around him who do not seem to think he is the right person to be king because of his more playboy lifestyle, and possibly to try to make another one king. I read it, I believe, in the early or mid 1980's. it ends with him getting married and possibly being influenced by family and friends.
I heard it could have been a British TV Mini-Series.
I don't know if the series had the same title.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
What's the tone of the book - comic? Dramatic? Suspenseful? Adventure? Potboiler?

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jsaltal) Dramatic, I believe.

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jsaltal) Any new updates about this book?

message 5: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Is it "The Black Adder", first series in the UK pseudohistorical sitcom Blackadder?

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph (jsaltal) No, the book was a serious drama. I read the book but didn't see the series that could have come from it.

message 7: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Hardy-Weinberg | 18 comments There's a british tv mini-series called "The Palace" (2008) that matches your description.
Plot: In this sensational British drama, a fictional royal family navigates political scandals and secret romances in the wake of an unexpected royal succession. Thrust into kinghood by the sudden death of his father, 24-year-old Richard IV struggles to bring his modern ideals to the throne - all while butting heads with the ambitious Princess Eleanor and their playboy brother, Prince George.

message 8: by Joseph (last edited Jan 27, 2020 05:45PM) (new)

Joseph (jsaltal) Sophia wrote: "There's a british tv mini-series called "The Palace" (2008) that matches your description.
Plot: In this sensational British drama, a fictional royal family navigates political scandals and secret ..."

This could be it.

I don't know if the book had the same title, I read it about 20+ years before the Mini-series, and I couldn't find one with that title, but reading the summaries of the episodes it matches almost exactly.

Did you see the end of the article on the series?
The actress playing Eleanor actually married into the Royal Family.
I believe she s now known as Lady Sophie Windsor.

message 9: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Hardy-Weinberg | 18 comments According to wikipedia, the TV show doesn't seem to be based on a book. Maybe you would like to take a look at these links:

List of fictional monarchs in England, the United Kingdom, and the United States

Fictional British Monarchs