Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Carol's August 2018 Reads

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 02, 2018 09:30AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments Few books read/listened to this month but all high quality.

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates Between the World and Me Ta-Nahesi Coates. Read by the author. 5/5

I finally got through this on audio after trying unsuccessfully with the print copy -- too heavy for my mood at the time. I read this for a book group at work and it was moving beyond measure (and spawned an unforgettable discussion). Coates writes a very long letter to his 13-year old son, reflecting on the challenges of raising an African-American male in this world. There’s nothing like listening to the author talk about things most personal to him; once I started I couldn’t put it down/turn it off.

Red Sparrow (Red Sparrow Trilogy, #1) by Jason Matthews Red Sparrow. Read by Jeremy Bobb. 5/5

When I learned that the movie starring Jennifer Lawrence (which I enjoyed) was based on a novel I thought it time to reacquaint myself with the spy novel genre. I spent a fair amount of time picturing the actors from the movie and figuring out where they changed the plot, but overall I enjoyed the plot machinations, the flipping between the CIA world and the KGB (it’s no longer called that) world, and especially the dance between the two main characters. I will definitely read the 2nd one and probably the 3rd as well. Jeremy Bobb handled the Russian and American accents flawlessly (at least to my ear).

Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2) by Anthony Horowitz Moriarty. Anthony Horowitz. Read by Julian Rhind-Tutt. 4/5

This picks up when Sherlock Holmes and Professor Moriarty are reported to have engaged in a battle to the death and at least one of them disappears over a waterfall. This is a clever tale that follows a Scotland Yard detective and a Pinkerton detective as they join forces to trace clues left behind at the scene. Very much in the style of Holmes and Watson with a shocker of an ending.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15059 comments Carol: Between the World and Me sounds like a must listen. What a book to discuss in a f2f Group with your co-workers.
I was overbooked with due dates looming and found myself not patient enough to read the Anthony Horowitz Sherlock Holmes book I had on audio from the library so I skipped it. Sounds like I need to try again when my mood is right.

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments Ann wrote: "Carol: Between the World and Me sounds like a must listen. What a book to discuss in a f2f Group with your co-workers.
I was overbooked with due dates looming and found myself not ..."

Yes, it took me a while to get into it once I realized Holmes and Watson were not going to show up (and found some plot similarities to Horowitz' other excellent Holmes detective story The House of Silk) but it was well worth the wait.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15059 comments Carol: The House of Silk was the one I let go due to time and mood. Do I have to read it first? 😀 (knowing what I think Carol will say to this question...)

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments Ann wrote: "Carol: The House of Silk was the one I let go due to time and mood. Do I have to read it first? 😀 (knowing what I think Carol will say to this question...)"

Actually you can read them in either order. Moriarty takes place after House of Silk but it makes no reference to the events in HoS.