Grab a Book & Play Booktivity! discussion

What Are You Reading? > Reviews: September 2018 - Agatha Christie's Birthday

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2899 comments Mod

Read any good books lately that fit our monthly theme? Here's the place to share your opinions / reactions / recommendations.

This month's theme was suggested by Donna -
Agatha Christie's Birthday: Read a book with the genre: MYSTERY

Happy reading!

message 2: by Donna (new)

Donna | 439 comments The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins was published in 1860. From the Goodread's description of the book: The Woman in White famously opens with Walter Hartright's eerie encounter on a moonlit London road. Engaged as a drawing master to the beautiful Laura Fairlie, Walter becomes embroiled in the sinister intrigues of Sir Percival Glyde and his 'charming' friend Count Fosco, who has a taste for white mice, vanilla bonbons, and poison. Pursuing questions of identity and insanity along the paths and corridors of English country houses and the madhouse, The Woman in White is the first and most influential of the Victorian genre that combined Gothic horror with psychological realism.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and believe it was probably on the cutting edge of mysteries in 1860. I listened to the audio version, which received the Audie Award in 2011.

message 3: by Donna (last edited Sep 10, 2018 03:57AM) (new)

Donna | 439 comments The Wife by Alafair Burke

The Wife, by Alafair Burke

If you are tired of domestic/psychological fiction not living up to your expectations, then I suggest you read this book! It was very good, with some great twists. The first line of this story about a man accused of sexual misconduct/abuse hooked me: "The first piece of trouble was a girl named Rachel. "

message 4: by Jaret (new)

Jaret | 210 comments The Good, the Bad, and the Emus (Meg Langslow, #17) by Donna Andrews by Donna Andrews
4 stars

from my library's catalog: Meg's paternal grandfather has hired Stanley Denton to find her grandmother Cordelia. He convinces Meg to come with him to meet her, but unfortunately, the woman they meet is Cordelia's cousin; Cordelia died several years ago, and the cousin suspects she was murdered by her long-time neighbor. Stanley and Meg agree to help track down the killer. But then the neighbor is murdered, and not only Cordelia's cousin but also the entire contingent of emu-rescuers is suspects.

my thoughts: This was a fun, cozy mystery. I enjoyed the antics of the characters, and Andrews did a great job of wrapping everything up. The resolution could have gone seriously astray, but was held together with lots of humor. This was definitely a story that did not take itself too seriously. I really needed this brain break.

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot, #29) by Agatha Christie
After the Funeral – Agatha Christie – 3***
Oh, I love Hercule Poirot and his little grey cells. Always entertaining and always keeping me guessing. Here we have quite a number of characters, all of whom seem to have some motive for killing Cora Lansquenet and/or Richard Abernathie. The killer and Dame Christie cleverly give us many red herrings, false clues, misleading statements, and seemingly meaningless occurrences to confuse, baffle and thwart any attempts at solving the mystery. But, of course, Poirot will unveil the killer.
LINK to my review

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Book Concierge wrote: "After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot, #29) by Agatha Christie

After the Funeral
– Agatha Christie – 3***
Oh, I love Hercule Poirot and his little grey cells. Always entertaining and always keeping me guessing. Here w..."

Reading an Agatha Christie novel during her birthday month celebration. Awesome!

message 7: by Book Concierge (new)

Just goes to prove that you can't win 'em all ...

Cactus Blood A Mystery Novel by Lucha Corpi
Cactus Blood – Lucha Corpi – 1*
Book two in the Gloria Damasco mystery series. She’s a private detective in training, with a gift for premonition…. Or at least vividly violent dreams that seem to come true. The plot was all over the place and I didn’t care about any of these characters. If it wasn’t a selection for my F2F book club, I would not have finished it.
LINK to my review

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

The Pearl Thief (Code Name Verity #0.5) by Elizabeth E. Wein
The Pearl Thief – Elizabeth E Wein – 3.5***
This is a prequel of sorts to Wein’s Code Name Verity , giving readers a little background on the character of Julia Beaufort-Stuart. It’s a good mystery and coming-of-age tale set in 1938 in the Scottish Highlands. I thought Wein did a good job of moving the plot forward and keeping the reader guessing. There are plenty of suspects and certain bits of evidence point first in one direction and then in another. Author notes at the end give additional information on the Travelers and on Scottish river pearls.
LINK to my review

message 9: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Lott | 375 comments Donna wrote: "The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

The Woman in White, by Wilkie Collins was published in 1860. From the Goodread's description of the book: The Woman in White famously opens with Walter Hartrigh..."

This has always been one of my favorite books of all time and was made into a Masterpiece Mystery on PBS some years ago--very haunting!

message 10: by Jaret (new)

Jaret | 210 comments The Chocolate Sundae Mystery by Gertrude Chandler Warner by Gertrude Chandler Warner
3 stars

from my library's catalog: The Boxcar children investigate when ice cream and other items start disappearing from their favorite ice cream parlor.

my thoughts: A cute children's mystery. A simple storyline, but still complex enough to have a few "red herrings". I liked the resolution to the mystery. It worked better than the path the main clues were leading you down. However, there were enough clues to lead you down the correct path, even if you were a younger reader. If you paid attention, you could follow them.

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger
Ordinary Grace – William Kent Krueger – 4****
Krueger is best known for a series of mysteries set in Minnesota. Here he departs from that formula to write a stand-alone novel that explores issues of family loyalty, decency, and faith. The catalyst this particular summer is death – an accidental death, a natural death, a murder, a suicide. Through the Drum family we see how differently people react to death in this small town, where every person, related by blood or not, is somehow close to you and any death affects you. This is the first book by Krueger that I’ve read. It will not be the last.
LINK to my review

message 12: by Book Concierge (new)

Jaret wrote: "The Chocolate Sundae Mystery by Gertrude Chandler Warner by Gertrude Chandler Warner
3 stars

from my library's catalog: The Boxcar children investigate when ice cream and other items start disappearing fr..."

I've never read the Boxcar children series ... I should fix that ...

message 13: by Donna (last edited Sep 18, 2018 04:12PM) (new)

Donna | 439 comments The Stranger You Seek (Keye Street, #1) by Amanda Kyle Williams
Best book I've read in a while! Warning --- it is bloody and descriptive in places.

From the blurb:

In the sweltering heat of an Atlanta summer, a killer is pushing the city to its breaking point, preying on the unsuspecting, writing taunting letters to the media, promising more death. Desperate to stop the Wishbone Killer before another victim meets a shattering end, A.P.D. lieutenant Aaron Rauser turns to the one person he knows can penetrate a deranged mind: ex–FBI profiler Keye Street...

...An electrifying thriller debut, The Stranger You Seek introduces a brash, flawed, and unforgettable heroine in a complex, twisting novel that takes readers deep into a sultry Southern summer, a city in the grips of chaos, and a harrowing cat-and-mouse game no reader will ever forget.

message 14: by Jaret (new)

Jaret | 210 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Jaret wrote: "The Chocolate Sundae Mystery by Gertrude Chandler Warner by Gertrude Chandler Warner
3 stars

from my library's catalog: The Boxcar children investigate when ice cream and other items start d..."

The new ones are not as good as the original (of course). They modernized the events for the 90s. But, it still has some of the original charm.

message 15: by Jaret (new)

Jaret | 210 comments Bones Never Lie (Temperance Brennan, #17) by Kathy Reichs by Kathy Reichs
3 stars
9/20/2018

from my library's catalog: Unexpectedly called in to the Charlotte PD’s Cold Case Unit, Dr. Temperance Brennan wonders why she’s been asked to meet with a homicide cop who’s a long way from his own jurisdiction. The shocking answer: Two child murders, separated by thousands of miles, have one thing in common—the killer. Years ago, Anique Pomerleau kidnapped and murdered a string of girls in Canada, then narrowly eluded capture. It was a devastating defeat for her pursuers, Brennan and police detective Andrew Ryan. Now, as if summoned from their nightmares, Pomerleau has resurfaced in the United States, linked to victims in Vermont and North Carolina. When another child is snatched, the reign of terror promises to continue—unless Brennan can rise to the challenge and make good on her second chance to stop a psychopath. But Brennan will have to draw her bitter ex-partner out of exile, keep the local police and feds from one another’s throats, and face more than just her own demons as she stalks the deadliest of predators into the darkest depths of madness.

my thoughts: My first episode in the Temperance Brennan series was interesting. I liked most of the storyline, but it dragged on at parts. There were some places where the story could have moved a little faster. I didn't fully understand the motive of the killer in this episode, but that could be because I did not read the episode that this case stemmed from. However, that didn't stop me from enjoying the story any. I will go back and read more in this series.

message 16: by Donna (new)

Donna | 439 comments Bodily Harm (David Sloane, #3) by Robert Dugoni

From the Booklist review:

Attorney David Sloane wins a malpractice case with his new partner and doesn’t even have time to celebrate the victory before a man approaches and tells him he’s convicted the wrong person. Kyle Horgan, a toy designer, proves to Sloane that the doctor he just convicted is not at fault in the death of a little boy. Instead, the guilty party is the manufacturer of a new toy that has just hit the market. When Horgan disappears and it appears that more children might be at risk, Sloane decides to uncover the truth, regardless of the consequences. As the case gets personal, he learns that with millions of dollars at stake, his life is merely collateral damage for the corporation intent on capturing the biggest piece of the toy market. Dugoni has been knocking on the legal-thriller door for a while, and his latest firmly establishes him in the top echelon of the genre. Tense and shocking from the beginning to the surprising end, this is Dugoni’s best book yet. Prior knowledge of his other David Sloane novels is not necessary, but they will be eagerly sought out by new readers who finish this one.

message 17: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I LOVE The Boxcar Children!!