Play Book Tag discussion

The Door
This topic is about The Door
Archive: Other Books > The Door / Magda Szabo. 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9079 comments The Door / Magda Szabo
3 stars

The narrator (I don’t think we ever learn her name in the book, though the blurb on the back calls her Magda) is a writer who hires an older woman, Emerence, to do her housekeeping. Emerence does lots of cleaning jobs and shows up when she feels like it. The two women form a friendship, despise Emerence’s “quirks”, including where she doesn’t ever let anyone, anyone at all, see inside her home.

I hated Emerence and didn’t see how there was any kind of friendship on either side. I would, in fact, call Emerence a crazy old b**** - seriously crazy. She had temper tantrums that she took out on everyone around her, including the narrator’s dog, Viola. Not sure why Viola liked Emerence so much, when Emerence periodically beat Viola for no reason to do with the dog. Emerence also had cats and I worried for their safety, in addition to Viola’s. Though the book was pretty slow-moving, it did pick up a bit toward the end. But, I still hated Emerence and didn’t “get” the friendship, at all.

message 2: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments It was in my list of possible future books. Not so much anymore. Funny review though
I’m imagining you reading and dreading the fate of the cats :)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments LOL! re: the cats, yes. :-)

Idit, you might like it more than I. Many people do like it. I think you like more "literary" that I do, as well, and this would fall into that category, I think.

Check the other reviews before making a decision!

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Oh, and she supposedly loved animals, but the way she beat poor Viola... :-(

message 5: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Poor Vi!

I might like it, but there are so many books out there and in my lists (and at home ~shameful glance at dusty shelves) that I'm happy for any excuse to cross a book out.

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Idit wrote: "I might like it, but there are so many books out there and in my lists (and at home ~shameful glance at dusty shelves) that I'm happy for any excuse to cross a book out."

LOL! Good point!