Writing Competitions discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Small Competitions > 1st Small September Competition

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

TeddyBear {HarpyAshe}  **Well You Built Up A World Of Magic, Cause Your Real Life Is Tragic** (harpyashe) | 157 comments Mod
Hey guys!

So the poll for our 1st small September competition is out for you to go ahead and choose what large story you'd like to write about this month. The poll closes on September 5th at midnight (Eastern Time) so make sure you make your decision before that time (:

TeddyBear {HarpyAshe}  **Well You Built Up A World Of Magic, Cause Your Real Life Is Tragic** (harpyashe) | 157 comments Mod
The results of the poll is in and it looked like there was a tie! So for this one you guys will get to choose which one you would like to do for your story cause either one will be fitting the theme. The two to choose from are...

"I thought he/she loved me, but..."

"Love is torture, love is pain..."

So your story must be between 500-1,500 words with no sexual content in it and, of course, fit one of the two themes above. Your story must fall within the word requirement or else, unfortunately, it will not be counted. You have from today, September 6th, till September 10th at midnight (Eastern Time) to post your story in this topic.

Have fun with it guys and hope to see a lot of great stories! :D

Fallen Catalyst (fallencatalyst) Him - - - By Fallen Catalyst
(first draft. Will be revised slightly before competition cut off date. (Also, based on a true story))

I thought I understood pain. Pain was a dark bruise on the hip from running into the corner of a table; it was a cut, a scrape, a burn. It wasn’t supposed to be an emotion, an idea. Love wasn’t supposed to be painful or at least that’s what I’d been told if I would’ve listened.

Love and pain were one and the same, both brought to me under a facade of light green eyes and a cute smile. He was love and then he was pain, tearing out my heart and brain with everything that he said.

I should’ve known better now that I look back. So many people warned me. Friends, strangers even. Sometimes I was just told to stay away, that he was bad for me. Other times I was fed other stories; stories claiming that he sold drugs, that he did drugs, that he was a cheater; the list goes on and on. I should’ve listened. I wish I would’ve listened before I gave him a part of me and let him break everything I had offered up.

It began with cute messages and gentle hugs, him taking it easy since he knew that I had never been on a date or anything of the sort. Over time, it became late night Skype calls, quick stolen kisses in the hall and messaging whenever else. I got so nervous around him but I blamed it on just being new to relationships and let it keep going. Over time, it changed though. For him, I became the key to his happiness, I might as well have been a puppet master. If I didn’t give him enough attention or say the right things, he’d blame me. Saying I was why he was depressed. Even though the depression was there before I ever came along. The games continued but I couldn’t find a way to get him away, I was afraid that if I moved wrong, he’d leave a note blaming me for why he was gone.

The more supposed control I had over his happiness, the more control he gained over me. He had my heart, torturing it with the messages that would complain that I wasn’t there to snuggle or just talk to even though when I saw him in person, I couldn’t get much more than a few words out of him. It was torture, every single day thinking that I was the reason he wasn’t happy. He kept me as his puppet with repeated “I love you”s and blue hearts all the time when he was better.

His game continued with me as his pretty little puppet, the manipulations getting worse. Two weeks prior to him ripping me apart, he tore at his own skin, leaving little red lines like a warning sign. It was a silent warning to me, emphasizing what would happen should I leave. He showed me these lines on the first day of finals so instead of focusing on my tests and grades, I was worrying over him.

After that, school was out finally for a break. I was torturing myself, crying once everyone had gone to sleep and trying to find some way to fix this broken boy still as he was breaking me. It took me so long to get up the courage to even ask for a break from him. I needed a chance to breathe before I could just be with him. He took that break as a break up and within two days, a friend of me talks to me and says how he was flirting and trying to get with them. That was it. It was the end of him and I and it was what broke me.

It was pain, not like a sharp sting but like a slow burn, crawling from my chest and through my throat until it got out into the world in shaking sobs. His love was pain as he kept playing his game with my heart in his hands, squeezing and hurting me until he finally just let go and cast me aside, won over by some other guy. And his love was torture, capturing my brain each day and night to whisper blame. I thought that I was never good enough, That I was why this boy was so broken even though I had just been chosen to try and keep the pieces together.

The remnants of his torture and so called love still haunt me to this day. He comes into my mind, persistently still taking my attention and making me worry over his well-being and who he’s with. I pray that he’s found his way and has grown up and left behind the games. The damage he caused has still not fully healed. I don’t know how I am supposed to be. I don’t know what Love should be like. I’m scared to even try. What if I end up on the other side? I don’t want to be the reason someone feels tortured and in pain when I am trying to love them. I get anxious around people because of what he took and I can’t help but worry even more about anyone and everyone who has ever come close to me.

Father, Father
(697 words)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I always thought that he loved me, my father. That’s how fathers were suppose to feel, right? They loved their children unconditionally, they would do anything for them, anything to keep them safe. They would take care of their children until the end, until passed on and their children could pass on that warmth to their own children, caring for them and so on and so on. Fathers were supposed to be so wonderful. But my story, well, I’d say it was a little different.

As my head floated back up towards the water, I take a deep breath, but my head was quickly pushed back down my a hand, my fathers large hand.I wasn’t able to make out anything from underneath the water that was dyed a deep red color. Blood. My blood. My scream of pain was muffled as I felt the blade go into my small wrists again and again. I kicked and tried to move my hands away, I struggled with everything that my 9 year old body had. However, I couldn't manage much at all, even with all the effort I was putting into trying to get away. I was just a child after all and not nearly as strong as my father. When I did manage to squirm enough out of the water so my head came up, I could hear my sister talking.

“Dad, let him go! Let him go you’re gonna kill him!” her screeching voice echoed across the violet walls and I managed to see her face over my father shoulder, saw her hands on his shirt, trying to yank him off of me. But he wasn’t going anywhere and he simply pushed me back under.

“He needs to die!” I heard him yelled and I started kicking again, trying to do something to get him off of me. I felt very lightheaded, my chest hurt, my arms hurt. Everything was just painful, the most painful thing that I've ever gone through. And I honestly thought this is it, this is how I end. But my sister miraculously managed to pull him off of me after a moment and I was able to bring my head above the water, coughing to get the water out of my lungs. I needed to get out of here.

“Jamie!! Jamie!!” my sister yelled as I practically tripped getting out of the bathroom and ran out of the room, past my brother who was talking to the police on the radio. My father's screams were loud as he called after me, cursing and rambling all sorts of things about God and how I needed to be "cleansed". But I was no longer listening. Instead I ran, I ran upstairs into my room and hid. I hoped my siblings would be able to restrain my father, I hoped that someone would get here before he managed to catch me. He would kill me the next chance that he got, I knew that. But for what? Because I was the spawn of Satan or whatever the hell his religious mind came up with?

I thought that fathers were supposed to love you, were suppose to protect you against the elements of the world so you would be able to keep your innocence just a little bit longer. But that day after they dragged me from the closet and out of that horrible house, as I sat in the hospital bed I realized that no, my father never truly loved me. He saw me simply as a way to continue on the family. He took care of me well enough as a child and I thought that was love. Even when he started the beatings, all the drunk yelling and cursing, I thought it was just me who had done something wrong and I needed to be punished. Like a dog that peed on the carpet. But no, it wasn’t me who had done anything wrong. It was him. He had a job as a father and he didn’t fulfill it. He was the failure, not me like he wanted me to believe. And now I needed to pay the price for his mistakes...

The poll for this is finally up, sorry for the delay on that, Goodreads was being a jerk haha but you guys can go ahead and vote on it for which story you liked the best and you have until the 14th at midnight (Eastern Time) to place your votes. Thank you to everyone who participated! :D

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

The results of the poll are in and it looks like it was actually a tie between Fallen's story and my own. So great job Fallen, your story was really good and thank you to those few who did vote ^^

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.