Writing Competitions discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Competitions > September Competition

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

TeddyBear {HarpyAshe}  **Well You Built Up A World Of Magic, Cause Your Real Life Is Tragic** (harpyashe) | 157 comments Mod
Hey guys!

So the poll for our September Competition is out for you to go ahead and choose what large story you'd like to write about this month. The poll closes on September 8th at midnight (Eastern Time) so make sure you make your decision before that time (:

TeddyBear {HarpyAshe}  **Well You Built Up A World Of Magic, Cause Your Real Life Is Tragic** (harpyashe) | 157 comments Mod
The results of the poll is in and it looks like Fall is the winner as the theme for our September competition!! :D

So your story must be between 1,000-10,000 words with no sexual content in it and, of course, fit the theme of Fall. Your story must fall within the word requirement or else, unfortunately, it will not be counted. You have from today, September 9th, till September 24th at midnight (Eastern Time) to post your story in this topic.

Have fun with it guys and hope to see a lot of great stories! :D

message 3: by Janelle (last edited Sep 15, 2018 11:41PM) (new)

Janelle  (its_jt_lv) | 5 comments October is the only time I can remove the mask I hide behind.
(1,000 Words)
------
October is the month of great weather for Las Vegas Residents. It's the month when there is no need to be afraid of sweating too much, and there is no need to wear a thick winter coat. I sit in my local coffee shop as I work on my story, the smell of pumpkin spice latte's fill the air. I see many pumpkins around the cafe with silly faces and scary faces carved into them. I chuckled as I thought of Freeforms first time presenting 31 nights of Halloween instead of their local program of 13 nights of Halloween.

My attention turns to my cell phone when I hear a soft ding, I pick up my phone and look at the text from my best friend who lives in Utah. JT what are you going to be for Halloween? I laughed softly seeing that she uses my nickname from junior high school for me today. I took a minute to think what was I going to be for Halloween this year? I may be twenty years old and a college student but that doesn't mean you're too old to dress for Halloween. My age never matters I'm always going to be a kid at heart even though my maturity is higher then I would want it to be.

I finally think of how to answer Lyanne before I start to type my answer on my iPhone. LT, I'm not sure yet. What's the point of dressing up if I'm not even going out Halloween night? Even though I love Halloween so much it gave me a bit of a bad memory. Halloween in 2017 was when I had the best date of my life with my now ex-boyfriend. It was a nice night of trick or treating and deciding whether we wanted to continue our relationship or not.

Of course, I shouldn't think of the bad memories, but those memories are still stuck in my mind I can't help but think of them. I looked at my phone when I got an answer that opened my eyes, JT, I know it's not the best memory because of last year. But that doesn't mean you can't dress up and enjoy Halloween? If I was there we would be getting Coffee, watching horror films until we can't sleep, eating pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and taking pictures of us dressed up for a night to remember in costume. JT, let go of the hurt in your heart because it's preventing you from living again. What happened to JT the girl that wanted to dress up as a Hogwarts Student and watch Halloween Marathons all night? I sighed softly because I knew she was right.

I was falling down in a pit of hurt just because of a guy that cheated on me and expected me to choose him over my college education. I picked up my phone and typed down my answer. You're right LT, I need to let this pain go. I'm the one moving forward in life and he's stuck in a trap of his never-ending excuses. I'm going to dress as a Riverdale theme for Halloween. I got the Southside Serpents shirt from Hot Topic with a blue jean vest that would match great. I even have a similar beanie to Jughead Jones. I sent the message to her before I took a sip of my Lemonade.

Not even a minute after I got Lyanne's reply. That's the spirit JT! Pics are needed!! Don't forget to tag me on Insta! I'm debating between dressing as Ghost Face or Toni Topaz or Joker? I chuckled as I saw her reply. LT try a combination of Toni Topaz and the Joker?? Dye your hair with hot pink streaks and then use the Joker's iconic makeup! I can see a crossover of Riverdale and Joker coming together well! I answered her before I continued to write in the notebook that I had. Ahh! You're so right! I'm going to try that JT! I'm heading to work I'll text ya later! Don't forget I may not be in Vegas for Halloween but we will be going to Cali together soon! I smiled at her reply.

I set my phone down before I continued to write in my notebook. I thought of how Fall was the most relaxing time of the year for me. I was able to write more of my book then I thought I could. Ever since I started College I was unable to write and now in my sophomore year, I'm able to write more than ever. My heart has been broken twice and now I feel that each time my heart was broken has only made me stronger. Everyone asks me what is your favorite month? I would say I can't decide between October or April. If someone asked me what is your favorite Holiday? I would say I enjoy Halloween but I also enjoy Christmas.

My life has been a roller coaster and it becomes more stressful each day. I'm able to relax more when I realize as the days pass the Cruise I will be going on with my mom is coming closer on the fifteenth of October. I can shut down my educational brain for a week and relax in paradise. I can enjoy seeing kids run around in costumes and I can enjoy watching a marathon of my favorite Halloween films. October has always been my favorite time of the year before Christmas. Because no matter how stressful my life has been October has given me the opportunity to relax and remove the mask I hide behind.

Fallen Catalyst (fallencatalyst) Scarecrow
1,164 words
By FallenCatalyst

~~~~~

Every day on the way to school, we had to walk down the road past the old Corinth farm. It’d been left abandoned for as long as I could remember. The farm house looked old and worn down, the fields overgrown and dry with birds almost always gathering there. But then one day, things changed.

“Lilith! Come on, we’re gonna be late!” My older brother Rowan called from downstairs.
“I’m coming,” I called back as I grabbed my bag and jogged down the steps. I grabbed my lunch from the kitchen counter and went outside with Rowan following after me. We walked together down the driveway and out onto the road in companionable silence. I looked around, glancing at the fields that made up our own farm and the machines already out working them, collecting the fall harvest and preparing for the winter crops. I knew our parents were out there but I didn’t bother to wave, not finding any reason to; they knew where we were and where we were headed.

We kept walking and soon the neat fields gave way to dry, overgrown weeds as we crossed to the Corinth farm. I glanced out over the fields and tilted my head slightly.
“That’s new,” I commented, pointing out the tall wood post in the middle of the field.
Rowan nodded slightly. “Maybe a for sale sign is gonna go up or something,” He commented, dismissing me as usual.
I rolled my eyes and kept walking, looking around the property for any other changes or signs of people there, wondering if we’d be getting new neighbors or something. We kept walking and by the time we got to school, the new post and everything had faded from my mind, distracted instead by friends and schoolwork.

I walked past that tall post every day on the way to school and on the way home. Nothing changed about it for a couple weeks. By then, the air was starting to get colder, foreboding that winter would be coming sooner than planned. It was early October but the farm still had a ton of work to get finished before the snow came. I helped out for a bit after school but I wouldn’t let my parents pull me out of my classes just to help them; I didn’t want to fall behind on my school work. Rowan, on the other hand, didn’t care. He was fine with missing a bunch of classes.

Each day, I examined the Corinth farm, looking for any changes or just anything of interest. I glanced over, not expecting to see anything, but on the post now hung a scarecrow. I froze slightly and stopped in my tracks at the sight.

It didn’t look like a traditional scarecrow hanging stiffly on the post. The arms are outstretched with the wrists tied to keep them up but the middle of the arms droop. The head is similar, hanging down and slightly to the left like it had fallen asleep. Not to mention the colors. The clothes weren’t bright, instead they were all dull, rust colored or black. I was a bit impressed honestly; whoever had put the scarecrow up must’ve used some sort of other stuffing or something to create such a realistic structure. But The longer I admired it, the more confused I got. The farm was abandoned, it had been since long before I was born. No cars were parked near the house or anything. Nobody had been there as far as I had seen so who had put the scarecrow up and why had they done so. I glanced at my watch and bit my lip.
“Oh well. I’ll be back later..” I mumbled to myself, needing to get going or I’d end up late to school. I glanced over the scarecrow one last time before continuing on my way.

All day, I kept getting distracted by thoughts of the scarecrow. Who put it there? Where was it from? Why? How did they make it? The questions didn’t stop running across my mind. I wrote them all down in the back of one of my notebooks at school, just wanting it as a reference. I could go back to the scarecrow after school and attempt to find the answers.

The day felt like it dragged on forever until finally, the last bell rang. I quickly gathered my stuff and headed out, walking through the town and back up the long road that led past the Corinth farm. I hadn’t told anyone about the scarecrow, wanting it to be just my secret until I figured out the mystery of it. I kept walking, looking towards the farm until I could finally see the scarecrow.
I tilted my head, confused as I saw a crow sitting on the scarecrows shoulder, pecking at the head. That’s not normal, I thought to myself, biting my lip and moving closer. I watched as the crow kept pecking and nipping at the head, glancing up and watching as a few more crows flew down into the field. I knew it was probably a bad idea, but I had to get closer and see why the birds were there.
I set my backpack down on the side of the road and made my way through the unruly fields of grass and weeds. I stopped a few feet from the scarecrow and froze, the crows cawing loudly at me. My mouth fell open as I looked at the scarecrow. The scarecrow looked so realistic because it was real. It was a person. They twitched slightly and seemed to lift their bloodied head.
All I remember after that was screaming. I don’t remember running away, screaming all the way until I got home and was safely tucked back in my father’s arms.

It was nearly an hour before I finally spoke. My words were incoherent at first as I tried to get the words out and say what I saw, hidden between sniffles and random mumbled.
“There’s a body... Corinth farm.. blood... alive.” I rambled out shakily, struggling still. My father heard me and frowned. He called for Rowan to go with him and check it out. They left me wrapped up in a blanket on the couch, figuring that I’d be fine for a little while.
My father and Rowan returned later with the police. I sat and answered all their questions, speaking faintly as my voice still shook. The officer told us that the body had been dead for a little while at least. They were looking for a suspect and would keep us informed but other than that, there wasn’t much else for us to do.
I wasn’t the same after that though. The sight of a dead body, a murdered one, had made me anxious And wary. I kept fearing that another body would appear since the police had left the post standing there in the field. I wouldn’t walk past the farm alone again. Ever.

The poll for this competition is up for you guys to go ahead and vote for which story you liked best for this months competition, there weren't a lot this month, but the ones we do have are really good ^^ thank so you much for those who participated and you guys have until the 31st at midnight (Eastern Time) to decide which story you liked best! Thanks guys!

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Sorry for the delay with this one guys, put it looks like the winner of this competition was Janellie! Congratulations! :D both of you had great stories for this competition, thank you for participating and thank you to everyone who voted!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.