Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Barry's August '18

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3132 comments Where did the month go?

Rescued: David Rosenfelt
I won’t deny that these books have become somewhat formulaic. Still, the crime followed by the trial that hangs by a thread works for Rosenfelt, and I still find these entertaining. Also, there are dogs.(B)

Hardcore 24: Janet Evanovitch
Stephenie vs the zombies. The zombies did not have a chance. Asalways,the book had its moments. (B)

Spy Master: Brad Thor
A superspy techno thriller. I always considered these a tier below Vince Flynn,but Flynn has passed away, and there are only so many choices out there. This tale follows the usual story line, but it was entertaining enough, and once again, we trounced the Russians. (B)

The Defence: Steve Cavanaugh
Every legal thriller semso need a hook these days. So we get a lawyer who is forced to defend a mob boss because they have kidnapped his daughter. But he is a former con man, so he has his skills. And he has a friend who is the head of a competing mob, so he has that going for him. And another friend who is a senior judge. Sometimes life is good, even in bad times (B)

The Widow: Fiona Barton
Written by a journalist, so the reporters have an outsized role, even as the police are flummoxed by being sure who was the murderer/kidnapper,but lack the evidence to prove it. (B)

Paw and Order: Spencer Quinn
Chet the dog at center stage again, working to solves a murder,maybe stop some spies. (B)

15 Seconds: Andrew Gross
A Dr finds himself set up for murder by persons unknown for reasons unknown. He must unravel the mystery even as the police hunt him. (B)

The Breakers: Marsha Muller
A friend goes missing and a serial killer reemerges. Sharon McCone has to hope the two are ot related. (B)

The Burglar Who Studied Spinoza: Lawrence Block
Almost cozy like at the end,here Bernie gathers all the principles together to make the big reveal in who did the murders. (B)

Pieces of Her:Karin Slaughter
I think Slaughter finally met her ultimate goal. A book in which everybody was unlikable and annoying. I was not able to emotionally attach myself to any of these people. (B)

Impact: Paul Levine
A non series leal thriller. Corruption in the highest court, and bodies dropping everywhere. Might explain why he does not write these anymore. (B)

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15063 comments Nice list Barry! I’m eager for my turn for the audio of The Breakers and I agree that most of the characters in Pieces of Her were hard to like very much, and several not at all.

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3832 comments another good month, barry. totally agree about the slaughter. i had mixed feelings about it when i read it.

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Good month! I never get tired of the Andy Carpenter books. How can you not like a character who loves dogs so much?

message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments Melodie wrote: "Good month! I never get tired of the Andy Carpenter books. How can you not like a character who loves dogs so much?"

At least he didn't name it "Paw and Order." {{shudder}}}

message 6: by Carol/Bonadie (last edited Sep 03, 2018 05:38AM) (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments I'm intrigued that your reviews seemed to vary in terms of how much you liked them but you gave them all a B.

And you are dissuading me from reading Pieces of Her. I already have decided to shelve Pieces of Her due to extreme violence. I've read books where I've wound up finding all the characters unlikeable, but don't know that I want to set out to read such a book. Still on the fence.
===========
correction: it's Pretty Girls I decided to shelve.

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15063 comments Carol: I think you might still want to give this one a try if you enjoy the group discussions dissecting the characters and the pacing of the plot. There were certainly some unlikeable characters but learning what made them unlikeable was worth the read in my opinion. And I liked some of them, what makes them unlikeable was in part due to their actions in the past. Deciding how you feel about that years later is a part of the question posed in the book.

Carol/Bonadie wrote: ".....you are dissuading me from reading Pieces of Her....... I've read books where I've wound up finding all the characters unlikeable, but don't know that I want to set out to read such a book. Still on the fence. .."

message 8: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments Thanks, Ann. Very interesting take. I'll reconsider.

message 9: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3132 comments I tend to use B for books that I neither loved nor hated, but ae good enough to read if nothing better is around. By the time I get t B-, I have some real reservations.

message 10: by Susie (new)

Susie Fevella (susieinks) | 1654 comments Lots of good ones Barry! I miss not having any new Spencer Quinn books.

message 11: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1395 comments Barry wrote: "I tend to use B for books that I neither loved nor hated, but ae good enough to read if nothing better is around. By the time I get t B-, I have some real reservations."

For me A is excellent, B+ is very good, B is good, C+ is conceptually good, but mediocre in implementation C is completely mediocre. Below C is getting into the seriously problematic.