You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Challenges: Monthly > September 2018 REPORTING - The Ultimate Battle

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments I'm not sure if anyone has been paying attention to Australian politics this week (anyone... *crickets*) but we have has some almighty battles going on this week. We have a new Prime Minister, after rolling the old one, and having a three way battle for the top job. And a lot of hyperbole has been thrown around (very odd, for Australians :P) . Like A LOT, even for us. So I was thinking through some of this and other hyperbolic battles that we talk about, and I thought, "Well... why not go for the big one?"

This month, we are reading a book with one of the following words in the title. I've just paired them in dichotomies so you can see where my thinking has come from. Any book with one of these words in the title is fine, although "verses" doesn't count.

- Good vs Evil
- Angels vs Demons
- Holy vs Corrupt
- Celestial vs Infernal
- Truth vs Lies

You can see the kind of language that has been used in some of the conversations over here for the past week. So, let's use it for a good read :D

General Rules:

1. The book may be in any format – hardcover, paperback, ebook, or audiobook.
2. The book may NOT be combined with the Year Long Zany Zodiac Challenge.
3. The book must be read between Sept 1 to Sept 30, 2018 (based on your own time zone).
4. The challenge is for one book. You may read more books if you chose, but only the highest scoring book will apply.
5. The book must be 175 pages or more determined by the issue you read. If reading eBook or audiobook page numbers will be determined by the issue that comes up on a Goodreads search.

POINTS!
(based on the edition you read)

Cover (if using an audiobook use the most popular edition):
5 pts – There is a fire on the cover (Atar, the holy fire of Zoroastrianism). We are talking holy fire, not a candle.
4 pts – There are two or more review quotes on the front cover
3 pts – There is a plane on the cover (Girls in Aviation Day)
2 pts – The cover is mainly yellow. If in doubt, please check http://labs.tineye.com/color/
1 pt – There is some mythological creature on the cover. Please explain for me.

Genre:
5 pts – Travel
4 pts – Sci-Fi
3 pts – Biography
2 pts – Classic (published 75+ years ago, 1943 and earlier)
1 pt – Humour

Title:
5 pts – Is one word
4 pts – Starts and ends with the same letter
3 pts – Has three words
2 pts – Starts with Y
1 pt – Has a subtitle

How many pages? (if using an audiobook use the most popular edition) :
5 pts – 501+
4 pts - 401-500
3 pts - 301-400
2 pts – 201-300
1 pt - 200 or less

Bonus Sept Points (2pts each that apply):
2pts - The main character is a father (Father's Day here in Australia)
2pts - Your book has been banned somewhere at some time - Link to prove please (Banned Books Week)
2pts - The main character is a girl 15 or younger (Nativity of Mary)
2pts - The events of the book occur over a New Years Day in a culture eg. 1 Jan, Chinese New Year, Rosh Hashanah, Muharram, Enkutatash, etc. (Enkutatash)

message 2: by Fiona (last edited Sep 06, 2018 07:28AM) (new)

Fiona (fiiicoooo) | 270 comments WoF Name - I don’t have one yet but I hope Fiona is okay?

I read Dämonenspiel by Maren Schwarz (Dämonen = demons)

Cover:
I can’t find the edition I read on GR, but I’m getting 0 points anyway.

Genre:
0 points again

Title:
5 points - is one word

Pages:
2 points - 201-300 (223 pages)

Bonus points:
None

Total points: 7

message 3: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Fiona wrote: "WoF Name - I don’t have one yet but I hope Fiona is okay? "

One of the moderators will set up your wall when you get your first badge. I've added Fiona as your Wall of Fame Name, so it's yours. :)

message 4: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (fiiicoooo) | 270 comments Thank you Janice :)

message 5: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Thanks Janice. And great work for being the first done, Fiona!

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (fiiicoooo) | 270 comments Thanks Rusalka :)

message 7: by Clive (new)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments WoF name - Clive

I read The Good Son by Yu-jeong Jeong.

Cover - 0

Genre - 0

Title - 3 (has exactly three words)

Pages - 3 (has 322 pages)

Bonus - 0

Total - 6 points!

message 8: by TrudyA (last edited Sep 16, 2018 09:35PM) (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments WoF: TrudyAn
I read The Holy or the Broken: Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, and the Unlikely Ascent of "Hallelujah" for the September challenge.

0 pts

Genre:
0 pts? (Rusalka, let me know if I should count the points for Biography. Although this has been shelved as ‘biography’ and the genre appears on its GR main page, the book’s focus is the song and not its writer).

Title:
1 pt – Has a subtitle

How many pages?
2 pts – 201-300 (288 pages)

Bonus Sept Points
2pts - The main character is a father (Leonard Cohen was father of two)

Total points: 5 points

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 392 comments I read Evil Eye
Evil Eye Four Novellas of Love Gone Wrong by Joyce Carol Oates

Genre: 0
Title: 4 points (starts and ends with same letter)
1 point: subtitle
Pages: 2 points (201-300 pages)
Bonus:0

Total: 7 points

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Don't forget to start your reports with your WoF name.

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 392 comments Janice wrote: "Don't forget to start your reports with your WoF name."

Oops, forgot.
Wall of Fame Name: Ashley
😀

message 12: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Yay! Nice work everyone :)

message 13: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments TrudyAn wrote: "(Rusalka, let me know if I should count the points for Biography. Although this has been shelved as ‘biography’ and the genre appears on its GR main page, the book’s focus is the song and not its writer)."

I'm with you on this one TrudyAn, sorry. That doesn't sound like a bio. Sounds like people got over excited as the title has two singers names in it.

Did you like it? I really dislike the song, so I hope the book was better :P

message 14: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments Wall of Fame name: Tricia

I read Good Harbor which has "good" in the title.

Cover 0 pts

Genre 0 pts

Title 0 pts Doing good so far

Pages 2 pts 256

Bonus 0 pts

LOL Yep, I think this book gets a grand whopping total of 2 pts. I liked it though; so it's all good.

message 15: by Lanelle (last edited Sep 10, 2018 03:18PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3396 comments So I started reading The Angel Experiment, knowing that it would get me a high score. I forgot that I intensely dislike books where (view spoiler). I had to quit during the second chapter. To make up for it, I decided to read a feel-good book :)

WoF name - Lanelle
I read A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber.

Here are my points:
Cover: 0
Genre: 0
Title: 3 - has three words
Pages: 3 (385 pages)
no bonus points

total points - 6

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments WoF Name - Janice

I read What Angels Fear for the challenge.
What Angels Fear (Sebastian St. Cyr, #1) by C.S. Harris

Cover - 0 pts
Genre - 0 pts
Title - 3 pts (3 words)
Pages - 4 pts (410 pages)

Total points = 7 points

message 17: by Jannene (last edited Sep 16, 2018 03:46PM) (new)

Jannene | 2934 comments WoF: Jannene
I read Devil's Corner by Lisa Scottoline .

Cover:
2 pts – The cover is mainly yellow.

4 pts - 401-500

Total: 6 points unless the cover (60% yellow) doesn’t count. Then just 4 points.

message 18: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments Rusalka wrote: "Did you like it? I really dislike the song, so I hope the book was better. "

It was okay. It was interesting to read how the song was written, ignored for years, and how it later became popularized. I enjoy Leonard Cohen’s writing, and previously read a biography, which I preferred to this.

message 19: by Cherie (last edited Sep 21, 2018 10:54AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20703 comments WoF = Cherie

I read The Good the Bad and the Infernal The Good the Bad and the Infernal by Guy Adams *

Cover = 3 pts – There is a plane on the cover (Girls in Aviation Day)*
Genre = 4 pts – Sci-Fi
Title = 0
Pages = 3 pts - 301-400
Bonus Sept Points = 2pts - The main character is a father (Father's Day here in Australia). Lord Forset is the father of Elizabeth Forset.

Total Points = 9

* It is hard to tell from the front cover of the book, but the wing of the plane is showing in the upper left corner. The actual rest of the plane wrapped around the spine and back cover of the paperback book that I read. It you do not agree with my points, Rusalka, I will unclaim thhe three points for the cover and take 9 for my total.

edited 9/21 to remove airplane points on "front cover"

message 20: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Jannene wrote: "WoF: Jannene
I read Devil's Corner by Lisa Scottoline.

Cover:
2 pts – The cover is mainly yellow.

4 pts - 401-500

Total: 6 ..."

60% is mainly. You are good :)

message 21: by Debra (last edited Oct 01, 2018 10:51AM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments WoF Debra T

I read Falling Angel

Cover:
1 pt – There is some mythological creature on the cover. Please explain for me.
A demon/devil is on the cover.

Genre:
0 pts

Title:
0 pts

How many pages? :
3 pts - 301-400

Bonus Sept Points (2pts each that apply):
0 pts

4 points! Glue stick?

I'm going to search for another book. Need more points!

message 22: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments TrudyAn wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "Did you like it? I really dislike the song, so I hope the book was better. "

It was okay. It was interesting to read how the song was written, ignored for years, and how it later b..."

I was interested in how a book about a song would go. Glad it wasn't a flop

message 23: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Cherie wrote: "* It is hard to tell from the front cover of the book, but the wing of the plane is showing in the upper left corner. The actual rest of the plane wrapped around the spine and back cover of the paperback book that I read. It you do not agree with my points, Rusalka, I will unclaim thhe three points for the cover and take 9 for my total."

Sorry Cherie, I mustn't have hit post last night. I am afraid I am going to say no, as I cannot tell at all that that is a plane (and I blew it up big). I understand that it is with the context of the spine and the back, but on the front cover, it's not.

However, you have tickled my thinking bones regarding covers...

message 24: by Almeta (last edited Sep 21, 2018 06:55AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10547 comments WoF Almeta

I read Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil 20 Sep

How many pages?
3 pts - 386

Although of no great value for points it was a great read!

TOTAL 3 points

message 25: by Almeta (last edited Sep 21, 2018 03:16PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10547 comments Tricia wrote: "Wall of Fame name: Tricia....LOL Yep, I think this book gets a grand whopping total of 2 pts ..."

Tricia, you spoiled all of my dreams for a glue stick! ☻

message 26: by Almeta (last edited Sep 21, 2018 07:17AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10547 comments Cherie wrote: "WoF = Cherie

* It is hard to tell from the front cover of the book, but the wing of the plane is showing in the upper left corner. The actual rest of the plane wrapped around the spine and back cover of the paperback book that I read.t..."

Hmm Cherie, you are making me ponder the term cover!lol! I guess really the outer spine and the back are part of the cover.

So that means if there is a fire on the back of my book I would count it. It means that reviews on the back...NO WAIT...Rusulka specifically said "front cover" in that instance.

Curious in Michigan

ETA: Oops, I see that Rusulka has pondered this also. I see her point though, how can it be verified?

message 27: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Exactly, Almeta. I have thought about this a fair amount of times since coming to YLTO (who would have thought one could spend hours thinking about covers).

The accepted and assumed interpretation of cover in YLTO is the front cover, which we can all see on goodreads, and mods can verify. However, I have had books that technically fit the theme with the cover thing on the back, but discounted them for not fitting the spirit of the challenge (although technically correct). As much as it pains the pedant in me.

But as said before, maybe there is a challenge in the long neglected spines or back covers... I need to ponder more

message 28: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Almeta wrote: "Tricia wrote: "Wall of Fame name: Tricia....LOL Yep, I think this book gets a grand whopping total of 2 pts ..."

Tricia, you spoiled all of dreams for a glue stick! ☻"

*snort*

message 29: by Cherie (last edited Sep 21, 2018 10:56AM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20703 comments Almeta wrote: "ETA: Oops, I see that Rusulka has pondered this also. I see her point though, how can it be verified? ..."

I actually considered taking a picture of the book - laid out flat and posting it.

I did not, because 1) I left my iPod at home and 2) I can never remember how to do it, without asking Amy, and I wasn't about to call her at work.

I am perfectly fine with the ruling. ;o)

message 30: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Can’t believe TWO folks beat me for the glue stick! I think I’ll live. :-)

message 31: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10547 comments Debra wrote: "Can’t believe TWO folks beat me for the glue stick! I think I’ll live. :-)"

I knooooow! Glue Stick competition is pretty fierce!☻

message 32: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Debra wrote: "I read Falling Angel..."

Debra, please edit your post and add your WoF Name. It's a new requirement which makes it easier for us when posting badges.

message 33: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments Almeta wrote: "Debra wrote: "Can’t believe TWO folks beat me for the glue stick! I think I’ll live. :-)"

I knooooow! Glue Stick competition is pretty fierce!☻"

Lol So sorry, Ladies. I obviously wasn't thinking about points when I picked a book.

message 34: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Janice wrote: "Debra wrote: "I read Falling Angel..."

Debra, please edit your post and add your WoF Name. It's a new requirement which makes it easier for us when posting badges."

Thanks Janice.

message 35: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1357 comments WoF name: Amanda(Lily)

I read Good and Angry: Redeeming Anger, Irritation, Complaining, and Bitterness.

Title:
3 pts – Has three words
1 pt – Has a subtitle

Pages:
2 pts – 201-300

Total: 6 points

message 36: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 1198 comments WoF Vicki

I read Necessary Lies

Cover - 0
Genre - 0
Title - 0
Pages - 339 pgs - 3pts
Bonus- MC Ivy Hart is 15 years old - 2pts

Total 5 pts

message 37: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2501 comments WoF - Jenn
I have just finished Angels & Demons, which was a thoroughly enjoyable read, and relatively quick considering its size.
5 pts - Fire on cover
5 pts - 736 pages
2 pts - Banned by the Pope lol
3 pts - Title is 3 words - not sure if you count the & as a word?
So, either 12 or 15 points in total?

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments WoF Sarah
I read Good Behavior.

2 pts – 201-300

Total = 2 points

message 39: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Sep 26, 2018 09:12PM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments WoF Peggy

I read Lies We Tell Ourselves

Total: 3 points (only for pages)

I was sure I'd get the gluestick (again!) but I'm happy to see two people beat me to it ;-)

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Peggy wrote: "I read Lies We Tell Ourselves

I was sure I'd get the gluestick (again!) but I'm happy to see two people beat me to it ;-)"

Ahem... WoF? LOL!

message 41: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 2546 comments WoF - Lilisa
Finished Everybody Lies: Big Data, New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are

301-400 pages - 3 pts
Total: 4 pts

message 42: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Janice wrote: "Peggy wrote: "I read Lies We Tell Ourselves

I was sure I'd get the gluestick (again!) but I'm happy to see two people beat me to it ;-)"

Ahem......"

Aaaah!! I can't believe I forgot! Thanks Janice :)

message 43: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Peggy wrote: "Aaaah!! I can't believe I forgot! Thanks Janice :) "

Hehe, lucky Janice is here ;)

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Cracking the whip! LOL!

message 45: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Well, one of us needs to do it! And it isn't going to be me, as I apparently can't even follow simple instructions ;-)

message 46: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments They don't call her Meanie for nothing!

message 47: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments *snort*

message 48: by Lynn (last edited Oct 01, 2018 09:07AM) (new)

Lynn | 2790 comments WoF - Lynn

Didn't have time to report here when I finished, but I did read this in September!
The Marriage Lie

POINTS!

Cover: 0pts

Genre: 0pts

Title:
3 pts – Has three words

How many pages?
3 pts - 301-400

Bonus Sept Points: 0pts

Total Points: 6

message 49: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Rusalka wrote: "Janice wrote: "Debra wrote: "I read Falling Angel..."

Debra, please edit your post and add your WoF Name. It's a new requirement which makes it easier for us when posting badges."

Th..."

Sorry ladies. I took care of this.

message 50: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17854 comments Debra wrote: "Sorry ladies. I took care of this. ."

No worries! Thanks :D

« previous 1