Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Kallocain
This topic is about Kallocain
Monthly Reading: Discussion > September 2018 "Kallocain" Discussion <Caution! Spoilers May Be Present!>

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Group Read #15

message 2: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kateblue | 4070 comments Mod
welp, I'm glad that's over . . .

Here's my review that I posted. I gave it 3*

I agree that Kallocain is a masterpiece of its type. But it is just so tiresome to read. It starts out interestingly, but the whole thing is the main character telling his story with such angst! After a while? Snore.

Still, for anyone who is interested in the history of science fiction or in Hugo award history, this is a must read.

message 3: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
To be honest, I might re-read it in future since it was such an easy read with lots of nuances I could've missed. Besides an interesting plot, the writing itself is concise but at times even poetic. Not sure how translation compares to the original Swedish version, because it reads amazingly well.

message 4: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oleksandr Zholud | 3991 comments Mod
I finished it yesterday and while I agree that it is a bit boring with long paragraphs and no action, I actually enjoyed the depiction of both the internal world of the narrator and external totalitarian society. It actually shows beautifully the point about a totalitarian countries -- there are a lot of people, who feel comfortable within such a world, afraid of any changes. That's creates actual support for dictators, from Hitler to Putin.
I'll add a review later

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 850 comments Mod
Finished! I was actually pretty surprised at the ending: all the while I was pretty sure that there wasn't actually any war or enemy states, that it was all propaganda, 1984-style.

message 6: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kateblue | 4070 comments Mod
Actually, I think the ending was foreshadowed by the beginning, but it took me a over a week to read. I had completely forgotten that Kall had talked about being a prisoner with a foreign nationality in the first page or so.

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 850 comments Mod
I remembered that he was a prisoner, but I thought he was on a gulag of some sort. I guess I missed the bit about foreign nationality - or I thought it just meant that his prison was somewhere far away. Oh well: they *had* always been at war with Eastasia after all!

message 8: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 3 stars