Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Kallocain
This topic is about Kallocain
Monthly Reading: Discussion > September 2018 "Kallocain" Discussion <No Spoilers>

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Group Read #15

message 2: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oleksandr Zholud | 3991 comments Mod
I was unable to get English translation so I'll read Russian one

message 3: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Sep 02, 2018 07:11AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
I think this copy here is free:

http://digicoll.library.wisc.edu/cgi-...

But you have to read it online using their browser.

message 4: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Art wrote: "I think this copy here is free."

Oh, thanks, Art!

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 850 comments Mod
Not to brag or anything, but I'm reading the book in original Swedish.

message 6: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new) - added it

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
Antti wrote: "Not to brag or anything, but I'm reading the book in original Swedish."

oooo....intense!!

message 7: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kateblue | 4070 comments Mod
Only intense if you don't speak Swedish.

Antti, you should have been around for Tau Zero by Paul Anderson. Though most of it takes place in space with multiple nationalities, it seems at the beginning that Sweden is the main world leader. I actually liked that a lot.

message 8: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Antti wrote: "Not to brag or anything, but I'm reading the book in original Swedish."

Cool! Has the style of writing changed over the 80 years, since the book was written?

I read Tau Zero a long time ago: I've completely forgotten that detail!

I learned Swedish in school, but I haven't really used it in years,so I'm more than a bit rusty. This seemed like a perfect opportunity to practice.

message 10: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes, Antti, I should read something in French, but it would have to be a childrens' book after all these years. A LITTLE childrens' book. Je ne sais pas!

message 11: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new) - added it

Bryan | 480 comments Mod
Swedish, French, Russian...I'm doing good at just reading it in English. I only know a small bit of Spanish and even smaller amount of Farsi...neither one could I read anything in.

It is nice to see so much diversity! It's fun to see what others think who grew up thinking differently than yourself...if that makes sense.

message 12: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bryan wrote: "It is nice to see so much diversity! It's fun to see what others think who grew up thinking differently than yourself...if that makes sense. "

It definitely does! I feel so invigorated by reading our discussions and seeing a lot of stuff in a new light

message 13: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Love the intro of the novel, drew me right in though I must admit I was too sleepy to keep reading it last night,

Looking forward to a bit of quiet this evening so I can dive into it

message 14: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 3 stars

Having trouble because it is black print on lines of grey. Plus, lines cut off in the middle, I assume because it was converted from PDF.

I have the print made really big and still hard to read.

Anybody have suggestions on how to fix this?

message 15: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Kateblue wrote: "Having trouble because it is black print on lines of grey. Plus, lines cut off in the middle, I assume because it was converted from PDF.

I have the print made really big and still hard to read. ..."

Have you tried the free online version?

message 16: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Sep 10, 2018 07:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

That's what i used. When I put it in the Kindle, it got weird.

Never mind. I will get through it or not.

Thanks.

Hey, Art. Why do you have dark clouds over your head? Can I offer you an umbrella or anything?

Allan Phillips | 2350 comments Mod
Art, thanks for the link! I used it to knock out the whole thing over the last few days. I enjoyed it a lot; it was a quick read that pulled me in right away.

message 18: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new) - rated it 4 stars

Art | 2546 comments Mod
Allan wrote: "Art, thanks for the link! I used it to knock out the whole thing over the last few days. I enjoyed it a lot; it was a quick read that pulled me in right away."

Managed to finish it off just today myself, it's a fantastic novel which is beyond having "aged well". I think it is as timeless as Fahrenheit 451° or 1984. Great read.

I'm still less than a third in. Man, you can tell that Boye was a poet: she uses lots of synonyms and long sentences with shortened clauses and the like. My feeble Swedish is really pushed to the limit - and beyond.

It's really good, though, so worth the work.

message 20: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Antti wrote: " My feeble Swedish is really pushed to the limit - and beyond."

a side question: do you use e- or paper book? For e-books are much better in terms of accessing dictionaries. This is the great plus for me at least

Oleksandr: I'm currently reading it as a paper book, but I think I'll switch to an e-book edition, for the reason you mentioned. An in-built dictionary really helps.

message 22: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm at 45%. I like it, tho' it's grim.

message 23: by LuthienDillon (new)

LuthienDillon | 24 comments I am rereading my German copy, and I've got to say, what with this one and The Sheep Look Up, I feel like I will need something with elves and dragons soon to lift my spirits.
Like it, though, and admire the writing style (or the good translation, who knows. ;-) )

One detail that gets lost in translation: the word"fellow-soldier" (medsoldaten) is a play on word "citizen" (medborgare). It was a nice way to show how the totalitarian state has thoroughly replaced democracy.