Writers 750 Short Story Contest discussion

Monthly Short Story Contest > September 2018 - The Wackiest Golf Game Ever!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (furyanhound) | 89 comments Short Story Challenge (750 to 1000 words)
Deadline is midnight (EST) Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Voting will take place between September 26 and September 30. Winners will be posted in this thread on October 1, 2018.

Highlights:

A mischievous animal
A golf club
A golf cart
A beverage (alcoholic or non - your choice!)

Theme: Wild and Outrageously Tall Tales

Setting – any

Plot – your choice

Ideas to get you started:
• "So, there I was on the fifth fairway, when suddenly..."
• "Let me tell you about the day that I scored an eagle (2 under par)..."
• The most outrageous hole-in-one story.
• "If it hadn't been for that darn goose/swan/squirrel/fox, I would have sunk the most beautiful putt..."

Challenge Guidelines – Skip over this comment section if you are familiar with the Writers 750 Challenge.

Genre: Fantasy, Thriller, Sci-Fi, Mystery, Crime, Comedy, Romance, or a mixture (BASICALLY, anything but erotica)

Purpose -
Some fiction writers are looking to win a short story contest, keeping in touch with making deadlines, and/or simply sharpening the skill of writing fiction. The main purpose of this contest is to sharpen plot and character skills, collect your own short stories, receive good feedback, make a good connection with other writers, and take a short break from your current novel to get a fresh view when you return to it.

Rules and Directions -
* Type in English - a minimum of 750 words; a maximum of 1,000 words; no erotica, no profanity.

* Post your title, by line, and word count total in the first line of your story posting.

* Writers are responsible for their own copyright. Authors keep all rights. PRIVACY POLICY IS ENFORCED. COPYRIGHTS AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS BELONG TO INDIVIDUAL AUTHORS. THIS CONTEST DOES NOT GRANT ANY PERSON THE RIGHT OR LICENSE TO COPY OR USE OTHER STORIES. EACH STORY IS PROTECTED BY THE COPYRIGHT OF THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR.

* ONE entry per person must be writer's original work, a final revision, and a new piece of writing. If you need to edit your submission, click "edit" and do not repost elsewhere in the thread. Try to post your final revision.

Judging: The story will be judged on the use of the above story prompts, creativity, proper grammar, good punctuation, and overall good quality for the story.

Voting: Please vote for the first, second, and third place. You are not allowed to vote for yourself. If posting this month, you MUST vote in order for your story to remain eligible.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (furyanhound) | 89 comments Hello everyone!
Apologies for the delay in posting this month's challenge - I usually mark down my months to host in my calendar, but didn't seem to do that this time. (Thanks for the reminder, Glenda!).

So, without further ado, I give you September's challenge, inspired by my own golf game this morning with my hubby!

Looking forward to reading your stories and seeing what you do with these prompts!

~Stephanie

message 3: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Faber (elainefabergoodreadscom) | 142 comments I know diddly-squat about golf except what I occasionally 'skip over' on TV. Did watch Tiger Woods and recent gold tournament. Amazed at skill of these players. If I write a golf story it would have to be from the POV of the gopher on the golf course... if at all. We'll see.

message 4: by TERRY (new)

TERRY | 641 comments Mod
Elaine wrote: "I know diddly-squat about golf except what I occasionally 'skip over' on TV. Did watch Tiger Woods and recent gold tournament. Amazed at skill of these players. If I write a golf story it would hav..." I FELT THE SAME WAY ELAINE WHEN I SAW THIS MONTHS STORY LINE BECAUSE I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT GOLF. I DO KNOW WHAT A GOLF CART IS. HOWEVER, I STARTED A STORY AND THEN WENT ON LINE TO ANSWER SOME OF MY QUESTIONS. I ALSO PLAN TO TALK TO SOMEONE I KNOW WHO DOES PLAY GOLF. I THINK YOU WILL FIND IT EASIER THAN YOU THINK. I HOPE TO POST MY STORY IN A FEW DAYS.

message 5: by TERRY (last edited Sep 30, 2018 05:56AM) (new)

TERRY | 641 comments Mod
THE FINAL GAME
by Terry Turner 986 words

Ted is never late for our weekly T-time golf games but today he is so I’ll take advantage of the time by warming up. I will work my way though the bag, beginning with the short irons, moving onto the mid-and long irons and then the woods.

I finished my warm up by hitting a few soft wedge shots. Ted has still not arrived as I check the time on my cell phone. Seating myself in the golf cart with a hot cup of coffee, I will give Ted one more call. Still no answer; straight to voice mail. My only option is to turn in the cart and go home.

“Ralph. You ready to play?”

Just as I am about to return the cart Ted hops in beside me almost causing me to soil my shorts and spilling the coffee.

“Where did you come from,” I ask?

“Sorry. Didn’t mean to startle you. Let’s go play. I feel good about beating you today.”

“Oh you do, do you? We shall see about that. Where are your golf clubs?”

“I have a little problem, buddy. Lora borrowed my car and took my clubs out of the trunk because she needed the room for something. She forgot to tell me and I assumed they were still in the trunk. Didn’t realize it until I got here. Do you mind if I share your clubs today.”

“No problem at all. But you have not warmed up yet.”

“I don’t need that today. I feel great.”

“You always insist that we warm up before T-ing off. Fine with me but if you lose, don’t say I did not give you the chance to warm up.”

“I am not going to lose today. You will see. Take me to the first hole.”

“First let’s run by the Pro Shop and sign the log-in register and pay.”

“Oh. That’s another thing. Can you pay for me today? I left my wallet at home.”

“Sure no problem. You and Lora are coming over tonight. We can settle up then.”

Ted just leaned back in the seat without responding. He is my best friend so I know he will be good for the loan.

We played our way through the first and second hole and as we are approaching the third hole I hit the brakes hard on the cart when Ted yells “Stop!”

“What’s wrong?”

“Oh I am sorry. I thought I saw a deer about to run out in front of us.”

“A deer,” I repeat. “I have never, in the two years of playing on this course, seen a deer.”

“I’m sorry. It must have ran back into the woods. Never mind, continue.”

Arriving at the ninth hole there are two players ahead of us leaving in a golf cart. They stop the cart some distance away and shout to us. Turning to Ted I ask him if he heard what they said. I remembered seeing them watching us play on one of the holes earlier.

“They are inviting us to join them,” replied Ted.

I wave my hand and shout, “no thanks. We are fine.”

They look at each other, converse and then drive on.

“They probably wanted us to join their game for a little wager,” Ted remarked.

Turning the golf cart in after returning to the starting point the attendant asked if I was okay.

“Sure. Why do you ask?”

“Those two fellows ahead of you were concerned.”

“Concerned for me? Why?”

“I don’t really know Mr Miller but I thought I would let you know.”

Rejoining Ted in front of the Pro Shop I ask, “is everything right with you? I noticed you seemed a bit preoccupied out on the course. Is something wrong?”

“Well there is one little thing you should know.”

I turn to him with a big grin and ask, “what’s the big mystery? You planning on proposing to Lora or something?” Oh my god. You are. You know Carol will love it if you do. I have heard her and Lora whispering about wedding plans more than once. You two have lived together for two years so it is about time.”

Ted just stood there with a crooked grin on his face without saying yay or nay so I assume I had guessed correctly.

“Well. Am I right?”

“You will find out in due time my friend.”

‘In due time,’ thinking to myself. ‘I am his best friend and will be best man at the wedding and he will not tell me what is going on? I wonder what he has up his sleeve? It’s fine, I'll let the subject drop for now.’

“Okay my friend. I will see you and Lora at the house tonight?”

Ted smiled and said, “listen Ralph. Don’t take Cliff Road as you go home today. They are working on the guardrail and traffic is delayed. Drive safely my friend and watch out for deer.”

We both laugh as I answer the phone which is ringing and vibrating in my pocket.

“Carol. What’s up? Is everything okay,” I ask walking away from Ted for privacy?

“No Ralph. Lora is here with me. We are very upset. Can you come home right away?”

“Of course. What’s wrong?”

“It’s Ted.”

“What about him? He’s not breaking up with Lora is he,” I whisper so Ted can't hear?

“No Ralph. Ted was killed this morning in a car accident. His car ran though the guardrail on Cliff Road and plummeted one hundred feet. Witnesses said his car swerved when a deer ran out in front of him.”

I turn quickly around to face Ted but he is gone.

“Did you see where my partner went,” I ask the attendant?

“What partner?”

“My friend Ted. We both signed in on your sheet.”

“Look for yourself, Mr Miller. Your name is the only one here.”

message 6: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Heskett | 181 comments Good one, Terry. You kept the suspense low key and then wham . Well done.

message 7: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Faber (elainefabergoodreadscom) | 142 comments Well, that was downright spooky. Caught me off guard until the end. I do suggest you use 'contractions' in your dialogue, as that is more how we speak. To not use contractions makes the dialogue sound stiff. Just a suggestion. It was a great story. i.e.:
(my edits) "I'm his best friend. I assume I'll be best man at the wedding and he won't tell me what is going on?"

message 8: by TERRY (new)

TERRY | 641 comments Mod
Elaine wrote: "Well, that was downright spooky. Caught me off guard until the end. I do suggest you use 'contractions' in your dialogue, as that is more how we speak. To not use contractions makes the dialogue so..."
I see what you mean Elaine. I do think that reads better with I'm. Thanks for pointing that out.

message 9: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Faber (elainefabergoodreadscom) | 142 comments I lead two critique groups and work with a third. I guess I'm always in critique mode and thinking how I would 'edit' it. Hope you don't mind the suggestions. Don't mean to sound critical of your style.

message 10: by TERRY (new)

TERRY | 641 comments Mod
Elaine wrote: "I lead two critique groups and work with a third. I guess I'm always in critique mode and thinking how I would 'edit' it. Hope you don't mind the suggestions. Don't mean to sound critical of your s..."
Absolutely not. That is how I learn. I am an amateur photographer on web sites where I get lots of critiques suggesting how I could have made the image better and I have become a better photographer because of it. So critique away.

message 11: by David (new)

David (drussell52) Hi Terry and others,

I like the way you begin your story. Also, thanks for describing for us non-golfers what one's warm-up might entail. There is one problem that flies in the face of this story being believable, and that's your ending when Mr. Miller checks the registry to see only his name. Dialogue on the course and in the cart does not appear imagined or hallucinogenic as laid out. Perhaps in a longer version, have someone cloned as Ted for purposes of stolen identity or something along those lines. Otherwise, in my opinion, I agree with both the other commenters on your story being highly suitable.

David

message 12: by TERRY (last edited Sep 13, 2018 11:54AM) (new)

TERRY | 641 comments Mod
Thanks for your input David. I didn't want the reader to know that Ralph was playing golf with Ted's ghost until the end - twist at the end. That is sort of my style at the moment. Also, I know nothing about golf and I found that "warm-up" bit on the WEB.

message 13: by Glenda (new)

Glenda Reynolds (glendareynolds) | 1082 comments Mod
TERRY wrote: "THE FINAL GAME

Ted is never late for our weekly T-time golf games but today he is so I’ll take advantage of the time by warming up..."

Terry, I enjoyed your story and didn't see the end coming. I loved the twist at the end. As far as a critique, I agree with Elaine. I also caught that you used a quotation mark where it shouldn't be since the dialogue continued and closed elsewhere in the paragraph: You planning on proposing to Lora or something?” Oh my god. You are.

message 14: by TERRY (new)

TERRY | 641 comments Mod
Glenda wrote: "TERRY wrote: "THE FINAL GAME

Ted is never late for our weekly T-time golf games but today he is so I’ll take advantage of the time by warming up..."

Terry, I enjoyed you..."
Good eye Glenda. Can't tell you have many times I have read through the story and never saw that error.

message 15: by Glenda (new)

TERRY wrote: Good eye Glenda. Can't tell you have many times I have read through the story and never saw that error. ..."

I thought if you wanted to publish it or share it, little things like that will help. :)

message 16: by David (new)

David (drussell52) Hi Terry and others,

Endings: You have given me something to ponder. We were discussing endings on another forum, and FYI, the participants, about 20 writers, were nearly split on favoring surprise endings vs. endings with natural closure. Terry, your story would fit the surprise ending category. Those of us who like more natural are pretty vehement about our preference, with the phrase, 'what the hell' being used throughout thread comments. Smiles!
David

message 17: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Faber (elainefabergoodreadscom) | 142 comments Poor Terry. since yours is the only story so far this month, you're the only one we can pick on. Hope some more stories appear before month's end so we can pick on them!! LOL . I think I'll pass this month, as my head is blank of anything golf. Maybe something will jump in before long.

message 18: by TERRY (new)

TERRY | 641 comments Mod
Glenda wrote: "TERRY wrote: Good eye Glenda. Can't tell you have many times I have read through the story and never saw that error. ..."

I thought if you wanted to publish it or share it, little things like that..."
Thanks Glenda. I changed it on my copy. Yes... I am trying to get enough stories for a book by the end of the year and this one will go in it. I want to publish the book for family and friends but do not care about selling it for profit. Of course, if it does then that is ok too.

message 19: by TERRY (new)

TERRY | 641 comments Mod
Elaine: All you need is a story with:
A mischievous animal
A golf club
A golf cart
A beverage
The bride-to-be hit him over the head with a golf club, then jumped in the golf cart with a beer in her hand as her mischievous Poodle ran behind.

message 20: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (furyanhound) | 89 comments Well, folks... have I truly stumped you? Ha ha, we're halfway through this month's challenge and I only see one story so far! Terry, great story though! Quite suspenseful right until the end.

For those who are stuck... think of the tallest fishing tale you've heard and change the word "fishing" to "golfing", change "lake" to "course", and change "boat" to "cart"! Let that creativity flow!

message 21: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Faber (elainefabergoodreadscom) | 142 comments How about a story about the gopher who lives under the golf course who gets bonked on the head by Tiger Wood's ball during the National tournament. Tiger drives to the HOLE in his golf cart with a beer in each hand and finds the poor gopher stretched over the hole with Tiger's golf ball lying on his belly. No score. Oh, there we go. Is that enough words to qualify for voting????

message 22: by Todd (new)

Todd Folstad | 102 comments I'd love to have written something this month, but with a job change, a move to a new location and a total right hip replacement - just no time. I'm working my rehab program now and just looking for some good stories to keep my spirits buoyed.

message 23: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Faber (elainefabergoodreadscom) | 142 comments Many of us have published books that you could choose from. May I suggest my latest cozy mystery/adventure, Mrs. Odboddy - And Then There was a Tiger (amazon $3.99). WWII humorous mystery. Perhaps some of the others in this group might suggest their publications. Hope you heal quickly, Todd. Blessings. Elaine

message 24: by Glenda (new)

Loved your paragraph super short story, Elaine. That got a chuckle out of me. Had to share with the hubby just now.

message 25: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I had to add more words for this story than the action actually needed to make the 750 word limit, but I did try some editing before posting.

A Squirrel ate my Ball, Bonnie, 862 words

Sara was feeling unusually wifely one Saturday, so she suggested to Fred that they go play a short nine hole course game of golf instead of enjoying her day home watching Hallmark. The poor man had no one to play golf with now since his long time friend, John, had moved to the coast.

Fred had actually bought her a set of old clubs at a yard sale, hoping she would go play with him more often. So far, though, they had only been twice. Once it had been so hot, she had given up and went into the clubhouse to drink tea while he finished. The second time, they had argued so much over his criticism and instructions, she had vowed not to play with him again.

Fred was all over her offer. He had nothing planned but some yard work and was happy to postpone it.

“It’s perfect golf weather today. I’ll go put your clubs in the car,” he said, almost running to the garage, and ignoring their bouncing beagle Harley who was hoping for a walk seeing movement from his people.

Sara gave Harley a pat. “Sorry, sweetie, no walk today. You can enjoy the yard though, without the lawnmower and weeder noise.” Harley gave her a look and followed Fred into the garage.

Watching Fred dig out Sara’s second hand barely used bag from behind some dusty lawn chairs, Harley barked loudly at it.

Fred laughed. “You know we’re leaving you home and taking the bag, huh. You’ll still have kitty friend to play with. “ Harley just stared. Fred, gave the bag a few whacks to get some dust off, and threw it in the back of his Equinox with his own new fancy golf bag.

“You ready, Sara? Call Harley in and I’ll pull around.”

She got Harley in with a chicken jerky, told him to be good and headed out the front door.

As Sara sipped her coffee and enjoyed the nice country drive to the small privately owned course, she wondered why she didn’t do this more often. The skies were blue, the leaves were just starting to change, and the air was cool enough to be outside for a few hours without sweating.

Pilot View wasn’t the best course in the county, or the most popular despite it’s cheapness, so there were only a few other groups playing despite the perfect weather. They rolled their bags from the parking lot over to the carts area and Fred paid for their games and rented the cleanest looking one. Sara went inside to buy them bottles of water to drink as they played, and off they went.

Sara relaxed in the cart while Fred drove them to the first Tee. Fred got out, pulled his driver from his bag, and hit his ball towards the green, doing an excellent job as usual. And, as usual when they played together, he hit Sara’s long shot since she would not get anywhere close to the green on her own. Not within any reasonable number of pars anyway. Fred then jumped back in the cart and drove them down to the green.

After Fred hit his hole in two, Sara got out of the cart and after studying her clubs, started pulling out what she hoped was her own putter. Something rustled in the bottom of the bag. She froze, confused, but heard it again. Something was in the bag!

“What the,” she yelled, jumping back.

Fred started walking over. Trying to act brave, and save Fred’s back a little, Sara pulled the bag off the cart, and threw it down on the ground on it’s side. She was just backing up a bit, when something brown and living jumped out, spun around panicked and ran here and there looking for a place to hide. Sara screamed, panicked herself, hopping from one foot to the other, not sure where to head to avoid it. She realized it was a squirrel and stood still, confused. How had a squirrel got into her garage and golf bag? Through Harley’s doggie door?

Fred stood watching the squirrel dance around, then shrugged when it ran behind a nearby bush and waited for Sara to come putt her ball in. “Must have came inside from the yard when I trimmed the trees last week. Hope it didn’t make a nest.”

Sara peeked inside. Not seeing a nest, she threw the bag back into the cart and grabbing her putter walked over to her ball. Just before she reached the ball, though, the squirrel ran from the bush, grabbed her ball in its teeth and headed back towards the bush again. Seeing Sara in front of him,he panicked again and tore of back in the other direction, tripping in the hole and giving her a hole in two.

Sara smiled at Fred. “We should quit now while we’re tied.”

They left the first hole with the squirrel chewing her ball and headed to the second tee. “I can’t wait to tell John about this one,” Fred said, “Sure wish he was here with us to see it.”

message 26: by TERRY (new)

TERRY | 641 comments Mod
Bonnie wrote: A Squirrel ate my Ball, Bonnie, 862 words

Bonnie, 750 is the minimum number of words. You could have gone up to 1000. Liked your story. T...........

message 27: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie thanks. I actually wanted to go shorter though! My first choice draft was about 600 words.

message 28: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I am not actually sure how this voting and discussing works. Do we help critique each other all along or wait till the last week?

message 29: by Shelly (new)

Shelly Heskett | 181 comments cute story,Bonnie, any golf or sports mag. or another 10 I can think of will take that in a minute. You probably already know that.

message 30: by Glenda (new)

Hi, Bonnie. I attempted to answer you during my lunch break. I had a nice paragraph typed, then Goodreads said I had to sign in when I was already signed in. (Sigh...) Each monthly host posts the deadline date and dates to submit votes. Here is what Stephanie posted for this month:
"Short Story Challenge (750 to 1000 words)
Deadline is midnight (EST) Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Voting will take place between September 26 and September 30. Winners will be posted in this thread on October 1, 2018. "
Critiquing is if-y in this group. We don't get really technical, but we do offer simple critiques. Critiques can be offered any time during the month. You or anyone are welcome to create a thread / post for more involved critiques. David Russell has been involved with another group which is more in depth with critiquing. He would be happy to see us pursue this.

message 31: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Shelly wrote: "cute story,Bonnie, any golf or sports mag. or another 10 I can think of will take that in a minute. You probably already know that."

thank you. I am in my last year of work and just trying to write more and varied stuff. I hope after I retired to maybe try and make it more than a hobby. I do feel old (61) to be learning new things though.

message 32: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Glenda wrote: "Hi, Bonnie. I attempted to answer you during my lunch break. I had a nice paragraph typed, then Goodreads said I had to sign in when I was already signed in. (Sigh...) Each monthly host posts the d..."

Thank you. If only the two of us write a story this month, I doubt voting would be helpful or fun really- but I would love to read and post helpful comments and suggestions for improvements.

message 33: by TERRY (new)

TERRY | 641 comments Mod
Bonnie wrote: "Glenda wrote: "Hi, Bonnie. I attempted to answer you during my lunch break. I had a nice paragraph typed, then Goodreads said I had to sign in when I was already signed in. (Sigh...) Each monthly h..."

I agree Bonnie.

message 34: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (furyanhound) | 89 comments Hey folks! Glad to see we've got some more stories posted here! Remember, you still have 2 whole days of writing to put together a story before the deadline! Writing about topics you may not necessarily know about is a great way to expand your portfolio and explore new ideas, so even if you don't know about golf, please consider putting a story together! Looking forward to reading what you put together!

Cheers,
Stephanie

message 35: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Faber (elainefabergoodreadscom) | 142 comments The Slobaviakinsky Golf Course 1000 words

The Slobaviakinsky Golf Course and Convention was located in a small, undeveloped country called Slobaviakinsky, somewhere north of the 23rd Parallel. The golf course was funded by a United States grant as an entrepreneurial endeavor to improve the lives of the 1,673,489 citizens of Slobaviakinsky. The convention center employed 312 individuals, from grounds keepers to bartenders, to chefs and maids.

As it happened to be the biggest and finest golf course and convention center within 3000 miles, it was to be the location of the annual European golf tournament. News of Tiger Woods’ attendance had spread far and wide, assuring the event would bring financial and national attention to the not so thriving country. As a result, every room in the convention hotel was reserved.

Having things “just as he liked it,” our boy, Tiger, had shipped his personal all electric golf cart with leather seats, titanium steering wheel, state-of-the-art sound system and beverage center, and golf clubs with gold gilt grips, ahead of his arrival. The cart was now parked on the lawn beside the CEO’s office and covered with a tarp, lest anyone should attempt to pilfer same and sell it at New York Southey’s Auction House.

Unbeknownst to the organizers of the tournament, or for that matter, the golf course’s CEO, long before the course was built at this location, beneath the manicured grass, a secret society had created a maze of tunnels connecting the 1st through the 19th hole. The secret society had planned their covert operations in this location for years and had no desire to risk discovery. Discussions were underway beneath the turf, as to the best way to scuttle the approaching tournament, lest the location of the secret tunnels should be discovered and future doings of the participants thwarted. At last a plan was voted on and passed, likely to wreck the event.

Three days before the tournament, the CEO found his head landscaper outside his office, awaiting his arrival. The distraught man stood wringing his hands. He blurted out his story. During the night someone had torn out the sound system in Tiger’s golf cart. The leather seats were shredded. The golf bag holding his precious clubs was slashed with marks that looked like the teeth of a wild animal. Knowing Tiger Wood’s erratic moods, the CEO feared that such an attack might result in his refusal to participate. In such a case, would the tournament even proceed?

Much to their surprise, Tiger grudgingly agreed if they promised to provide a cooler with his favorite beverage, he would use a standard golf cart.

Two day before the tournament, the CEO found his head electrician awaiting his arrival. During the night someone had destroyed the wiring to the PA system, making it impossible to announce the events over the loud speakers. Could the tournament proceed if Tiger’s adoring fans could not hear about his prowess on the field? Since the hotel was booked up and news media from around the world were already on their way, they would try to fix the system and save the tournament.

Learning this, the secret society called another emergency meeting. Scuttling Tiger’s golf cart hadn’t worked. Destroying the PA sound system hadn’t derailed the tournament plans. Drastic measures were needed. The timing of the plan had to be perfect.

One day before the tournament, the CEO found his head chef awaiting his arrival. Upon coming to work that morning, he had found what appeared to be rat droppings all over the kitchen, on the stove and in the pantry. Bags of corn meal were torn open. The freezer had thawed during the night thawing hundreds of pounds of meat. He found the refrigerator’s electric cord chewed in half. Obviously, the hotel had been invaded by rodents. With the health inspector due today, the kitchen would likely be shut down putting the tournament in extreme jeopardy.

The clever CEO snapped his fingers. “Have the maintenance crew jimmy up barbecues on the patio with bricks and screens. We’ll BBQ all the meat for the hotel guest’s dinner tonight. Have the local markets and bakeries bring bread, fresh fruit and pastry for breakfast tomorrow. We’ll bring all the portable microwaves from each room to prepare whatever else we need to feed the guests. Contact another dozen food trucks to serve the tournament guests tomorrow. We’ll make it work.”

In despair, the secret society shrugged and gave up. None of their efforts had derailed the tournament. They would have to take their chances of discovery.

On tournament day, Tiger Woods faced the world’s top ten golfers. On the 19th hole, he was one stroke from winning the tournament. He eyed the ball, drew back his club and swung. His foot slipped on a leaf. His ball sailed into the air, then diverted to the left and landed in the trees next to the 19th hole. The crowd erupted in a collective moan. TV cameramen trailed him and his caddy into the woods. Tiger’s ball lay on the top of a mound of dirt, evidence of a major gopher hole.

Tiger stomped down the mound, creating a level field, smacked his ball onto the grass where it slowly rolled across the green and plopped into the hole. Tiger turned to his caddy. “Better notify the CEO about this gopher hole. He should set out poison before they get onto the green,” he said, moving onto the grass to the adulation of his adoring fans.

In the tunnel below, a number of ground gophers cringed in trepidation. As they had feared, Tiger Woods’ attendance at the golf tournament had resulted in the discovery of their secret location. Their existence was doomed. In a matter of time, their secret tunnels would likely be destroyed. There was only one solution.

They would move their network of tunnels into the International Culinary School garden next door. Unbeknownst to them, Wolfgang Puck was scheduled to hold his world renowned annual cooking contest there next spring.

message 36: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (furyanhound) | 89 comments Ha ha, cute story, Elaine!

message 37: by TERRY (new)

TERRY | 641 comments Mod
Good job Elaine. Kept me reading to see what would happen next.

message 38: by F.F. (new)

F.F. Burwick | 172 comments Wacky Golf day by F. F. Burwick 890 words

"You are in for a rare treat, Rolf. This game will be different and unique," Sanders promised to my friend.

Rolf didn't know yet what Sanders meant, but even Sanders did not know how very right his statement would be.

Sanders brought out a long box from the trunk, and they walked over to the golf entrance. They went on to the grounds, their cart had pedals that Sanders pedaled to get the two of them out there.

"Why did we get this cart?" Rolf asked Sanders.

"It is Wacky Golf Day here today. Every year on this day there are some wacky things happening."

"I never heard of this. It is not going to be a long way for us, is it?"

"Don't worry, Rolf. Things are just a little bit different with this. We will start just over there."

As Sanders pedaled up to where they would start, Rolf remarked, "It is quite a warm day. Do we have drinks here?"

"I brought orange juice for us, along with sandwiches. Here is your golf bag."

Rolf took the bag Sanders handed him, noticing it was much lighter than he expected. He pulled out from it a long wooden mallet. "What is this?" he exclaimed.

Sanders pulled out another mallet like it from his. "These are our golf clubs. This is how we will play today." He took out a small wooden ball and placed it on the tee.

"But this is for croquet, isn't it?"

"We still play on this golf grounds. Watch how it is played." Sanders came up to the tee, judged his stroke with swiveling the mallet a few times, and then struck the small ball there. It went more than twenty feet, and stopped.

"We will be here a long while, with a high number each, to get to the final hole," Rolf observed.

"We are not going to play to the final hole.We will play to the hole that is near that water hazard. This will only be a play of fun, Rolf."

Rolf went up for his turn. It disoriented him to hold the long mallet, that could be used for croquet, and seeing the small wooden ball, here where they would play golf. He considered how he saw Sanders play, swiveling the mallet a few times, and striking the ball then in the manner that he could manage to be like Sanders striking his ball. He it close to the same way, and it went a little under twenty feet, short of Sanders' first strike.

"Don't worry, Rolf. There will be enough grounds ahead for you to catch up." Sanders got into the golf cart, but Rolf just walked, while Sanders pedaled the cart.

As they played, Rolf would catch up a bit, and then soon after Sanders would pull much further ahead, this repeating several times. They had a harder time going through rough they came to, and they went past numbering seventy.

"This is not especially a treat so far, and not really wacky," Rolf said to Sanders then.

"Playing this way has become a tradition here, to recognize the things that have been happening on this day that are not expected."

"What if there isn't anything so unexpected happening anymore? Does this observance die out then?"

Rolf had not even finished speaking, when they saw a flock of ducks fly up from near the water hazard. They came and landed not far from them. It was quite near to where Rolf's wooden ball had just come to last. And then without warning, one duck came to it and snapped it up with its bill.

"Hey! Drop that!" Rolf dashed as well as he could manage toward the duck. The duck kept the ball in its bill, spreading its wings, and lifted off in the direction of the water hazard.

Rolf watched as his heart sank. If the duck went to the water hazard, it would end their game, after all they played.

"See? There is always something unexpected happening on this day," Sanders commented.

"How can this be a treat? How can we finish?" Rolf spoke, but more to himself, as he watched that duck.

The duck landed again, not in the water, but close to it. The duck sat the wooden ball on the green, and pecked at it.

Another animal, a small one, came out from a nearby hole. It was not one of there golf holes. It must be a pocket gopher, Rolf thought. It scurried quickly up to the duck, which was still focused on the ball.

The gopher snatched the ball, impressively running off with the ball in its mouth. It ran back with the ball, weaving back and forth, toward the hole it had come from. To Rolf's great astonishment, he saw a brown eagle swoop down and catch the gopher before it reached that hole. The eagle flew on carrying the gopher, which had already dropped the ball when it was caught.

Both the men watched in amazement. They were silent for a while. Sanders said quietly then. "It is your play. We have to play on from where the ball lays."

Of course, Rolf's ball was near the hole by the water hazard, near enough that when he came to it and struck it, he made it to that hole.

message 39: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie TERRY wrote: "THE FINAL GAME

Ted is never late for our weekly T-time golf games but today he is so I’ll take advantage of the time by warming up. I will work my way though the bag, be..."

TERRY wrote: "THE FINAL GAME

Ted is never late for our weekly T-time golf games but today he is so I’ll take advantage of the time by warming up. I will work my way though the bag, be..."

I love a good ghost tale. It would be neat if we could add audible narration to these.

message 40: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Elaine wrote: "The Slobaviakinsky Golf Course 1000 words

The Slobaviakinsky Golf Course and Convention was located in a small, undeveloped country called Slobaviakinsky, somewhere north of the 23rd Parallel. The..."

I loved the ending. I am a gopher friend and get into many "discussions" with gardening friends and family about gopher poisoning too, so even though I cringed at Tiger's poison them comment, I'm sure it is how they all feel.

message 41: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie F.F. wrote: "Wacky Golf day by F. F. Burwick 890 words

"You are in for a rare treat, Rolf. This game will be different and unique," Sanders promised to my friend.

Rolf didn't know yet what Sanders meant, but ..."

I think I'd be Rolf in this game. I like you characters.

message 42: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Carlson (sandycarl) | 89 comments Good, fun stories all. Although I live in golf country, I don’t play it. May still squeeze a story in yet. We’ll see.

Hubby’s been sick. New YA unicorn story published this month. Book signing to get ready for next month. Oh, my.

message 43: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Faber (elainefabergoodreadscom) | 142 comments Congrats Sandy on your book. Hope you do well.

message 44: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Faber (elainefabergoodreadscom) | 142 comments Please give address where votes should be sent.

message 45: by Glenda (new)

Send your votes to skbaskerville@hotmail.com or you can "message" her at Goodreads. I have sent both an email and a Goodreads message to David Brown who has volunteered to host October. Hopefully I'll hear from him.

message 46: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Faber (elainefabergoodreadscom) | 142 comments skbaskerville@hotmail.com (send votes here)

message 47: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (furyanhound) | 89 comments Hey folks! Actually, if you're not messaging me on Goodreads, please send the votes to furyanhound@gmail.com.

Happy to see that we have 4 stories this month to vote for:

- THE FINAL GAME by Terry Turner.
- A Squirrel ate my Ball by Bonnie.
- The Slobaviakinsky Golf Course by Elaine Faber
- Wacky Golf day by F. F. Burwick

If you have written a story, you need to vote, so please send them to me at furyanhound@gmail.com. :)

Voting is now open, and I'll announce the winners on Monday!

message 48: by Bonnie (last edited Sep 28, 2018 07:01AM) (new)

Bonnie Is the 1-5 rating for each of the 10 areas (so a total of 50 possible points? Or a simple 1-5 rating (with 5 being the highest?) Or just 1st, 2nd, 3rd place?

message 49: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (furyanhound) | 89 comments Hi Bonnie. Voting works like this:

Voters send their top 3 choices as 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place.

I'll take those votes and assign a numerical value to them.

Every 1st place gets 3 points, every 2nd place gets 2 points, and every 3rd place gets 1 point.

Then I add up the points and determine the winner that way.

message 50: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Stephanie wrote: "Hi Bonnie. Voting works like this:

Voters send their top 3 choices as 1st place, 2nd place, and 3rd place.

I'll take those votes and assign a numerical value to them.

Every 1st place gets 3 po..."

thanks- super easy then :)

« previous 1