Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Around the World Team Challenge > Team Literary Ladies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,619 (1619 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 32 33

message 1: by NBRC Travel Agent (last edited May 10, 2021 04:55AM) (new)

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments Team Members

Carrie
Bernadette
Snowtulip
Shy the Widowmaker
Maddielucy(Patti)
Alyana
Pooja
April

===
No longer travelling:

Massiel
Sarah
Anna
Karolyn
Nanci
Jess
Jessi
Meghan

message 2: by NBRC Travel Agent (last edited Sep 01, 2018 05:53PM) (new)

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments Your itinerary is here

When you have a team name, just let me know and I'll update this thread name :)

First stop - Santa Cruz De La Palma (Spain)

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments So just to get you started...

Your first stop is Santa Cruz De La Palma, Spain

You can choose as a team to:
TASK
- Read books set in Spain, or by Spanish authors or
- Do a spell-it-out of Santa Cruz De La Palma or Spain

OR
You can elect to do the detour, which for this stop, means that four of you need to "Read a book with a prime number of pages"

message 4: by NBRC Travel Agent (last edited Sep 01, 2018 05:55PM) (new)

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments Rules are here

Points copied below for easy reference. No more than 5 detours can be completed on your first itinerary

TASKS
◈ Completing a task will earn the team 10 points AND
◈ If at least 6 members of the team read a book that contributes to the tasks, that is an additional 15 points AND
◈ If ALL team members read a book for the time you are at the stop, that is an additional 10 points

DETOURS
◈ Completing a detour earns the team 25 points AND
◈ If at least 7 members of the team read a book for the detour, that is an additional 15 points AND
◈ If ALL team members read a book for the time you are at the stop, that is an additional 10 points

message 6: by — Massiel (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments Hi Girls! Is there any names you want to suggest as Team Name? What about Netflix and Chill? Raspberry Berets? Game of Throws? Magnificent Maniacs?

Also, do you prefer do the tasks or detours? I prefer detours since they are easiest to fulfill.

message 7: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn | 528 comments Hey everyone! I'm terrible coming up with names, so will be happy with anything :) I'm excited we're starting in Spain. My husband and I host high school exchange students and we have a girl from Spain with us this year (and another from a Thailand), so I'm learning a lot about Spain right now.

I'm open to tasks and detours, maybe a mix. I like the idea of reading books set in places I don't normally read about or written by authors I wouldn't otherwise read, which makes the tasks appealing. But the detours look good too. You'll find out I'm pretty willing to go with the flow!

message 8: by — Massiel (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments Karolyn: I'm latina so if you wanna talk in spanish I'm here. If you want some spanish authors I can recommend you few but most of spanish authors doesn't have translate books and so far I don't remember any book set in Spain. That's why I'm more open to the spell it out or the detours.

About the team's name I like so far Netflix and Chill and Game of Throws, I'm pretty addicted to series.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 191 comments Hello!! Do we have an all-girl group?! If so could I suggest our name reflect that somehow? If it’s too worrisome, I’m fine with whatever.

I also have no preference regarding tasks vs detours, but we can only do 5 detours total so I don’t think we should aim to do one each stop to start with.

Let me know what you decide! Excited to start our trip.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 191 comments I agree with the points about it being difficult to find good Spanish translations. Spell it out (Spain I’m thinking rather than the full city name since we are newbies!) and possibly also the prime number detour sound like great options to me. :)

message 11: by — Massiel (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments Sarah: Yes, so far all the members are girls.

message 12: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1072 comments Hi all! I like the idea of the all girl name if we are indeed going to be all girls! (Girls on Fire, Queen Bees, Literary Ladies?)
Whatever works.

I like the idea of completing the tasks rather than the detours (at least in the beginning) since we have a limited number we are allowed to do!

This sounds like fun. I can't wait to get started!

message 13: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1072 comments If we decide to go with books see in Spain (although this seems like a tough one), Goodreads has a list:https://www.goodreads.com/places/11-s...

message 14: by — Massiel (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments Carrie: I prefer the spell it out since you and Sarah don't wanna do the detour I think we better go with the spell it out by the way, Literary Ladies is cute.

message 15: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1072 comments Spell it out sounds good to me!

message 16: by — Massiel (last edited Sep 02, 2018 04:47PM) (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments Carrie: We can do Santa Cruz De La Palma or Spain, I'll wait to the others girls replay a few more days but I'll go with Spain if that's okay.

message 17: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn | 528 comments I'm good with a spell Out of Spain. We can always pick a book written or set there if we like.

Might be a dumb question... but if we spell Out Spain do we loose the chance for max bonus points since it's only a five letter word (and do we even care). Or can we spell it twice to get max points? Or would we need to use the city name to get max points?

message 18: by — Massiel (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments Karolyn: I don't think so... We can ask though but I think we get the max bonus points if we read and do the same tasks/detours.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 191 comments Literary Ladies is good with me also. And yes I think if we can spell out Spain we might be able to have some do extra? Guess it depends on how fast we read the books and how long we want to stay in one spot.

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna (bookgirl2) | 60 comments Hello! I'm Anna. This is only the second reading challenge I have participated in. I like the name Literary Ladies! I can't wait to get started!

message 21: by — Massiel (last edited Sep 02, 2018 07:47PM) (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments Literary Ladies is then. Welcome Anna!

So... everyone is okay with the spell it out? We can do Spain or Santa Cruz De La Palma, which one do you prefer guys?

message 22: by Anna (new)

Anna (bookgirl2) | 60 comments I am going start a book called The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore soon, which is coincidentally set in Spain, so it could be used for P or L.

message 23: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn | 528 comments I'm good with spelling out Santa Cruz De La Palma.

Once we're in agreeemnt, I'd be happy to add a tab to our itinerary Google Doc so we can keep track of who's reading what and help us plan (it's the project manager in me).

message 24: by — Massiel (last edited Sep 02, 2018 08:24PM) (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments Anna: Perfect
Karolyn: I thought the same, I was gonna proposes if is okay if I'm the one in charge of the Google Doc but I can help you if you want to.

message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna (bookgirl2) | 60 comments I will also be reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, which can only count for C. Children of Blood and Bone can be moved to T or A for Tomi Adeyami.

message 26: by Karolyn (last edited Sep 02, 2018 08:33PM) (new)

Karolyn | 528 comments Circe wrote: "Anna: Perfect
Karolyn: I thought the same, I was gonna proposes if is okay if I'm the one in charge of the Google Doc but I can help you if you want to."

HA! We're a lot alike 😁 I set something up on the spreadsheet, but feel free to change it. I'm going to find a book or two tonight or in the morning.

message 27: by — Massiel (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments Anna: Awesome!
Karolyn: Hahahaha same! Change anything if you want I just love to organize. Okay, let me know.

message 28: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1072 comments I'll take Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz for M

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 191 comments Can someone add me to an “A” - I’m reading “You Will Know Me” by Megan Abbott.

I’m ok with spelling out the whole city - I initially thought we EACH had to read as many books as would spell out the city name which is why I was so hesitant! Sorry for the confusion!!

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 191 comments I use the app on my phone so I can’t figure out how to edit the spreadsheet myself ; sorry literary ladies!!!

message 31: by — Massiel (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments Carrie: Nice
Sarah: Done. I thought that too, don't worry. I already add you to letter A, if you read any further letter let me know :)

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments Karolyn wrote: "Might be a dumb question... but if we spell Out Spain do we loose the chance for max bonus points si..."

Yes, because your country is only 5 letters, if you do the spell it out of "Spain" you won't be able to get maximum points for the stop. You would need to read books set in Spain or by Spanish authors OR spell out "Santa Cruz De La Palma" for the maximum points.
(or choose the detour for this stop)

message 33: by Jess (last edited Sep 03, 2018 01:19AM) (new)

Jess Penhallow | 263 comments Hi Literary Ladies. I'm from the UK so I think I'm on a different time zone to a lot of you. Glad to see so much discussion has gone on while i've been sleeping!

I'm happy to do the spell out for this challenge and have added the book I'm working on to the spreadsheet.

It's not a problem for this task as it looks like we've all claimed a letter now but I've noticed that a few members have claimed multiple letters on the spreadsheet. Do you think we should just claim one letter at a time? This would give us a better chance at getting the bonus points for all members contributing to the task. Once everyone has claimed a letter then we could claim additional letters to finish the task.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 191 comments Am I missing something here? I see just 6 names on our list of ladies...I thought we had to have a team of 8 to start?

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 191 comments Also, welcome Jess! I lived in London (Notting Hill and Croydon) for several years. Whereabouts are you from if you don’t mind me asking? (My friends all got sick of me talking about England pretty much immediately after I moved back so it’s nice when I get to mention it again, lol.

message 36: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 263 comments I live in Wandsworth in South West London. I grew up in Oxfordshire then lived in Birmingham for a while and have now been in London for around 2 years. I love it here!

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 191 comments Ahh very nice. Oxfordshire is beautiful. I worked in Clapham so very familiar with Wandsworth as well. My ex wife is from The midlands also but closer to Nottingham. :) Yay, I don’t think I’ve said those words for about 6 years. Ha.

message 38: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn | 528 comments Sarah wrote: "Am I missing something here? I see just 6 names on our list of ladies...I thought we had to have a team of 8 to start?"

I'm guessing that we'll get the next two who ask to sign up? So, we probably need to think about not grabbing all the letters right away so they can help out when they join us.

There was a question about signing up for more than one book at a time. I personally don't have an issue with people committing to two at a time, as long as there is room for everyone to still claim a book so we can max points. I know some have a text and audio book going simultaneously, and it's nice to be able to plan for that.

NBRC Travel Agent | 368 comments Sarah wrote: "Am I missing something here? I see just 6 names on our list of ladies...I thought we had to have a team of 8 to start?"

You can have a maximum of 8. Up to you if you want to start with 6 (some teams do)

message 40: by — Massiel (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments So... do you wanna start now guys? It's fine for me.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 191 comments Yep I’m good to start.

message 42: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn | 528 comments Sarah wrote: "Yep I’m good to start."

Me too!

message 43: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 263 comments I'm happy to start now

message 44: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 1072 comments Already reading for the first challenge! I'm good to go!

message 45: by Anna (new)

Anna (bookgirl2) | 60 comments I will have to start reading for the first challenge tomorrow, because I'm reading a book I started before the challenge. I have about 150 pages left, so I'll be able to finish it today.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sjohnson33071) | 191 comments Sounds like all of us are good! I’m also reading something I started before but I enjoy reading two books at the same time. As we finish our challenge books we can add extra letters. I’d like to do another but I don’t want to take away one someone might get to before I do - make sense?

message 47: by — Massiel (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments I already finished letter R and N. Soon I'll finished letter T.

message 48: by — Massiel (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments Also Carrie, do you mind if I switch your reading to the letter A? Since I'll reading Turtles All the Way Down in spanish translation is Mil Veces Hasta Siempre or I can add Renegades (Marissa Meyer) so it fits the letter M.

message 49: by Karolyn (new)

Karolyn | 528 comments Circe wrote: "Also Carrie, do you mind if I switch your reading to the letter A? Since I'll reading Turtles All the Way Down in spanish translation is Mil Veces Hasta Siempre or I can add Renegades (Marissa Meye..."

Are you reading it in Spanish? Because I think we'd need to use the title/version you actually are reading if the rules are the same as other challenges.

Until we have a full team and everyone has a chance to settle in a bit and get comfortable with the rules/challenges, I'm not sure we need to start moving things around in the spreadsheet just yet. But that's just my opinion. I do understand that we need 3 A's and only 1 M for this particular spell Out, so A's are something we'll need to be on the lookout for.

message 50: by — Massiel (new)

— Massiel (rollitosdecanela) | 512 comments Karolyn: I know I just translate the titles to explain why I wanna add it and yes, I'm reading it in spanish. Even tho I read a lot I will not fill in all the letters there are so many and all the team members have to participate if that is so much trouble I'll just fill the remain T and stop until the next stop.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 32 33