Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

15 views
Monthly "Reads" > sherry's august reads

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3831 comments a short list because it took me what seemed like forever to read The Witch Elm
Beneath a Scarlet Sky- mark t. sullivan
Happens Every Day: An All Too True Story- isabel gilliies (forgot my book at the beach and a friend gave me her emergency back up book). was just ok.
The Man Who Came Uptown- pelecanos -very good.


message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments I liked The Man Who Came Uptown, too. Not your typical Pelecanos.


message 3: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3131 comments Good to know about the Pelecanos, I was starting to sour on him.


message 4: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3831 comments Melodie wrote: "I liked The Man Who Came Uptown, too. Not your typical Pelecanos."

that's what i thought too. really enjoyed it.


message 5: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8300 comments Good for you for accepting a "substitute book" at the beach... and finishing it! Don't know if I would have done.


message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15059 comments Sherry: If I was bookless at a place where I expected to read, and one was offered I would have been grateful for a substitute too; getting one that was interesting enough to finish was lucky!
I had a similar thing happen on an airplane last January where confusion over leaving my Bluetooth headset on through screening resulted in my leaving it at the gate. I was horrified to realize my audio was out of my reach through the flight. While I had Kindle options the loner book turned out good for a fast read too.
Book friends are good friends!
With digital copies of almost everything I read or library copies for the print versions I miss the days of being able to press a favored book on a friend with, “you must read this one”.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Good for you for accepting a "substitute book" at the beach... and finishing it! Don't know if I would have done."


message 7: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3831 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Good for you for accepting a "substitute book" at the beach... and finishing it! Don't know if I would have done."

i almost didn't. it was a memoir by the woman who plays eliot stabler's wife on law and order svu. from the beginning we know she gets a divorce but i thought it took her a long time to get to the point.


message 8: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3831 comments Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Good for you for accepting a "substitute book" at the beach... and finishing it! Don't know if I would have done."

i almost didn't. it was a memoir by the woman who plays eliot stabler's wife on law and order svu. from the beginning we know she gets a divorce but i thought it took her a long time to get to the point.


message 9: by Sherry (new)

Sherry  | 3831 comments Ann wrote: "Sherry: If I was bookless at a place where I expected to read, and one was offered I would have been grateful for a substitute too; getting one that was interesting enough to finish was lucky!
I h..."


i know, ann! i still read paper books, but all the books i read and review for netgalley and edelweiss are all e-books. can't pass those on. i miss that too. sharing the titles isn't the same.


message 10: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: "With digital copies of almost everything I read or library copies for the print versions I miss the days of being able to press a favored book on a friend with, “you must read this one”. ."

I completely agree! This and not being able to subtly spy on other readers' titles are the only downsides of digital reading.

Oh, and I also miss not being as aware of book cover art when reading digital. I just finished The Concrete Blonde. The cover art was intriguing: a statue of Blind Justice and another (inner cover) of a woman--also possibly Justice--knocked over and damaged. Very evocative of the plot and one of the victims in the book and I found myself taking a few minutes to look at the covers every time I picked up the book.


message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15059 comments Jan O’Cat: another comment on digital reading diminishing enjoyment of the book cover - a pet peeve, opening a Kindle book for the first time skips past the cover, dedication or copyright pages straight to chapter one. I hate that - and have to go back and review those first. Still not the same as a print cover though.


message 12: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: "opening a Kindle book for the first time skips past the cover, dedication or copyright pages straight to chapter one. I hate that - and have to go back and review those first. Still not the same as a print cover though. ."

Ann, I always "flip" back to the cover of my Kindle books, not to mention the dedication and epigraph, which so often sets a tone. And often I'm disappointed that the Kindle covers are just some generic nothing instead of the print cover.

But still, for me the advantages of digital far outweigh the irritations.


message 13: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1395 comments OMalleycat wrote: "Ann wrote: "opening a Kindle book for the first time skips past the cover, dedication or copyright pages straight to chapter one. I hate that - and have to go back and review those first. Still not..."

One of the pleasures of blogging is locating the cover on Goodreads and copying it to the review. I often scroll down the reviews of my blog to look at the impact of the cover art. That's when I get to experience the covers of my Kindle reads.


message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15059 comments Definitely Jan! Digital audio and print books are wonderfully convenient for me.
OMalleycat wrote: "But still, for me the advantages of digital far outweigh the irritations"


message 15: by Barry (new)

Barry (barrypz) | 3131 comments I m not a full digital convert, though I see myself reading more on the kindle. I always start with the cover though.


back to top