The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 20.3 - Best Review - TrishhartUK's task: 11am on 11 November 1918

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2018 08:39AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
20.3 - Best Review - TrishhartUK's task: 11am on 11 November 1918

As lots of tasks deal with sports and games, I decided to go with something different, for variety. One hundred years ago in November, the Armistice of Compiègne (named for the place it was signed) ended the fighting between the Allies and Germany in World War I, on land, at sea and in the air. It came into force at 11am Paris time on 11 November 1918. This task commemorates the end of the Great War.

This is a one book task. Choose one option and read a book that fits the criteria.
Required: State which option you used when you post your completed task.

Option 1: The war to end all wars. Read a non-fiction book about the Great War; or a novel (fiction) set at least 50% between 1914 and 1918, and taking place in one or more of the following countries - the UK, Ireland, France, Belgium, Italy, Germany, Austria and/or Hungary.
REQUIRED: If the setting and time are not clear from the Goodreads metadata or the book's description, include a reference from the book or a link to an outside source to establish the connection when you post.

Option 2: Life and death. Read a book by a single author who was either born or died between 1914 and 1918, inclusive.
REQUIRED: If the author's birth/death date is not included in the GR author record, provide a link to another source to confirm the date when you post.

Option 3: The Armistice. To commemorate the time and date the Armistice came into force, read a book which is #1, #8, #9, #11, #18 or #19 in a series. The series designation must be present on the book's Goodreads record.

Option 4: The poppy fields. Many of the battles took place in fields where the poppies grew, and the poppy has become the symbol of WWI. Many countries, including the UK, have charities which sell symbolic poppies to raise funds for veteran care around late-October, early-November. Read a book with a poppy flower on the cover: it can look natural or stylised, and can be any colour, as long as its recognisably a poppy, and has at least some petals showing.
Examples:
The Penguin Book of First World War Poetry by Jon Silkin The Royal British Legion 90 Years of Heroes by Matt Croucher Poppy Day by Annie Murray Poppies in Translation by Sujata Bhatt The Poppy Field Diary by Carey Richard Milk of Paradise A History of Opium by Lucy Inglis The First Casualty by Ben Elton
REQUIRED: Include the cover when you post.

message 2: by Trish (last edited Sep 16, 2018 11:08PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2702 comments These work:

Option 1:
The First World War: An Illustrated History, AJP Taylor
The Summer Before the War, Helen Simonson

Option 2:

Option 3:

Option 4:
The Birthday List by Devney Perry , All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

message 3: by Trish (last edited Sep 04, 2018 10:33PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2702 comments These don't:

Option 1:
Young Radicals: In the War for American Ideals, Jeremy McCarter - non-fiction but not about WWI per se.

Option 2:

Option 3:

Option 4:
The Opium Clerk by Kunal Basu - not recognisably a poppy
Opium Season A Year on the Afghan Frontier by Joel Hafvenstein - no petals showing

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7922 comments can i get Young Radicals: In the War for American Ideals approved for option 1 - from the description: Where do we find our ideals? What does it mean to live for them--and to risk dying for them? For Americans during World War I, these weren't abstract questions.

message 6: by Trish (last edited Sep 05, 2018 06:50AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2702 comments Dee wrote: "can i get Young Radicals: In the War for American Ideals approved for option 1 - from the description: Where do we find our ideals? What does it mean to live for them--and to risk d..."

That's a really tricky one. It isn't clear from the description if the "fight" any of them were in was WWI, or whether it was just during those years. So I went to Wikipedia for biographies. On the basis that only two out of five of the listed people were directly involved in the war at all, and it isn't the main focus of the book, I'm afraid I'm going to have to say no to this one.

I hope you find somewhere for it, though - it looks like a really good book.

message 7: by Christi (new)

Christi Reynard | 406 comments I believe this is a poppy, yes?
The Birthday List by Devney Perry

message 8: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2702 comments Christi wrote: "I believe this is a poppy, yes?
The Birthday List by Devney Perry"

Looks like it to me (once I saw the seed pod in the middle!).

message 9: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1992 comments Would The Summer Before the War work for Option 1? It is set in England (UK) in 1914, but based on the title it is before (rather than during) WWI.

message 10: by Trish (last edited Sep 16, 2018 11:09PM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2702 comments Julia wrote: "Would The Summer Before the War work for Option 1? It is set in England (UK) in 1914, but based on the title it is before (rather than during) WWI."

It matches the Option 1 description, so yes.

Let me know what it's like, as I enjoyed Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.

message 11: by Amy the book-bat (new)

Amy the book-bat (batkisses) | 201 comments Trish wrote: "Julia wrote: "Would The Summer Before the War work for Option 1? It is set in England (UK) in 1914, but based on the title it is before (rather than during) WWI."

It matches the Op..."

I thought it was a good book and part of it does take place during the war.

I would like to know if The Great War: Stories Inspired by Items from the First World War is acceptable for option 1