Play Book Tag discussion

August 2018: Espionage > Red Harvest / Dashiell Hammett 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments I have to post a truncated review because I am away from a computer and this is really difficult (for me) via phone, but I wanted to make sure I get my points .... is that allowed?

This is my first Hammett, and this hard boiled crime is something I love and didn't realize I needed in my life! High action, great humor, and tons of gin.

I'll be back to edit this thread and expound on my experience with this read in a couple days.

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3682 comments Pour yourself a glass of your favorite whiskey or gin, light a cigar, and indulge in Dashiell Hammett's world of fast women, double-crossing, murder, and intrigue. We follow our unnamed narrator from The Continental Detective Agency to Personville (aka Poisonville, and for good reason) for a job, but the client is killed before the Detective can even meet with him. So sets the stage for Red Harvest and a wild web of lies, deceit and betrayal that threatens to ensnare our narrator with no hope of getting out.

Non-stop action, twists, turns, thrills and kills, along with some of the best humor in hard-boiled crime make Hammett's novel a classic.

I wouldn't recommend this to any reader, although I think it should be enjoyed by all, but I suppose hard-boiled crime noir isn't for everyone. If that is your bag, this is a must read.

Clocking in at just over 200 pages, you can easily burn through this in a day while polishing off your best bottle of gin. Cheers!