Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > November 2018 Old School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments November 2018 Nominations - Old School Classics group read

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Bookshelf link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books that were published before 1900 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

3. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

4. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

4a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for moderator to track changes.

5. Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

5a. Same author-multiple categories. The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

6. Nominations will remain open until the 14th September, polls will open on the 16th and run until the end of the month.

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1860 comments I would like to nominate Monkey: The Journey to the West, first published 1592, 306 pagers.

"Probably the most popular book in the history of the Far East, this classic sixteenth century novel is a combination of picaresque novel and folk epic that mixes satire, allegory, and history into a rollicking adventure. "

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike (chinamike) I will second Monkey and as an aside...
1. Journey to the West is one of the BIG 4 classic Chinese novels and has been made into a movie or TV adaptation so often that you literally cannot turn on the TV in China without finding a version on some channel.
2. Monkey is an abridged translation. The complete translation is available but much longer.

message 4: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma I’m not sure if this is old enough? If it is I’d like to nominate Cousin Bette

message 5: by Gary (new)

Gary | 201 comments Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin is my nomination

message 6: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments BAM wrote: "I’m not sure if this is old enough? If it is I’d like to nominate Cousin Bette"

First published in 1846, that's old enough :)

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3423 comments Gary wrote: "Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin is my nomination"

I'll second Eugene Onegin again.

message 8: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Third Eugene Onegin.

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 62 comments I would like to nominate The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo

message 10: by Lara (new)

Lara Panfilov | 22 comments I would like to nominate Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes

message 11: by Dave (new)

Dave (adh3) | 796 comments I second Cousin Bette

message 12: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1860 comments Lara wrote: "I would like to nominate Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes"

Isn't that on the shelf already?

message 14: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Lara wrote: "I would like to nominate Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes"

This is ineligable as it's a previous group read. Links to the rules and our bookshelf can be found in the first post :)

message 15: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) | 3471 comments I nominate Areopagitica by John Milton. Might make a good discussion on how language is used, on power of the word, about pro and con arguments/polemics.

message 16: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Pink wrote: "BAM wrote: "I’m not sure if this is old enough? If it is I’d like to nominate Cousin Bette"

First published in 1846, that's old enough :)"

Thank you, Pink, for checking on that!

message 17: by Michele (new)

message 18: by Angie (new)

Angie | 604 comments I would like to nominate The Misanthrope by Molière.

message 19: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Dave wrote: "I second Cousin Bette"

Thank you Dave

message 21: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2879 comments I'll second Cousin Bette!

message 22: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) | 3471 comments I withdraw my nomination of Areopagitica. Instead I second The Misanthrope

message 23: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Thanks Terris

message 24: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (nicehotcupoftea) | 47 comments I second The Last Day of a Condemned Man

message 25: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (adeczka13) | 55 comments I nominate Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

BAM wrote: "I’m not sure if this is old enough? If it is I’d like to nominate Cousin Bette"

I'll second Cousin Bette.

message 27: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Thank you!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Ada wrote: "I nominate Nicholas Nickleby by Dickens"

I second Nicholas Nickleby

Shirley (stampartiste) | 846 comments Another second for Eugene Onegin, please.

message 30: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline Can I withdraw my nomination of Pickwick Papers and change it to a second of Nicholas Nickleby?

message 31: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 183 comments I will second Le Misanthrope by Molière

message 32: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Vicki wrote: "Can I withdraw my nomination of Pickwick Papers and change it to a second of Nicholas Nickleby?"

Yes that's fine :)

message 33: by Pink (last edited Sep 08, 2018 01:39AM) (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Halfway through nominations -

Cousin Bette by Honoré de Balzac 1846, 468 pages
BAM - Seconds- Dave, Terris, Pam (3)

Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin 1832, 240 pages
Gary - Seconds- Sue, Loretta, Shirley (3)

The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo 1829, 109 pages
Jess - Seconds- Valerie, Barbara, Bob (3)

The Misanthrope by Molière 1666, 64 pages
Angie - Seconds- Cynda, Christopher (2)

Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens 1839, 817 pages
Ada - Seconds- Kelly, Vicki (2)

Little Men by Louisa May Alcott 1871, 329 pages
Michele - Seconds- Jen from Quebec, Brian (2)

Monkey: The Journey to the West by Wu Cheng'en 1592, 306 pages
J_BlueFlower - Seconds- Mike (1)

An Enemy of the People by Henrik Ibsen 1882, 164 pages
Sarah - Seconds- Brenda (1)

Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll 1872, 239 pages
Darren - Seconds- Tina (1)

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments I will 2nd Little Men by Louisa May Alcott , please! ---Jen from Quebec :0)

message 35: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 141 comments Jess wrote: "I would like to nominate The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo"

Second!

message 36: by Brina (new)

Brina I will give a second to Little Men.

Brenda (aka Grandma) | 9 comments I second An Enemy of the People by Ibsen.

message 38: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5130 comments Mod
Jess wrote: "I would like to nominate The Last Day of a Condemned Man by Victor Hugo"

Seconded

message 39: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 2018 comments I nominate Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll (1871)
Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #2) by Lewis Carroll

message 40: by Tina (new)

Tina | 117 comments Darren wrote: "I nominate Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll (1871)
Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #2) by Lewis Carroll"

Second.

message 41: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments All updated above.

message 42: by Izunia (new)

Izunia | 32 comments I'll second Little Men

message 43: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 576 comments I'll second Cousin Bette

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 577 comments Darren wrote: "I nominate Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll (1871)
Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #2) by Lewis Carroll"

Second that

message 45: by Sarah (last edited Sep 09, 2018 08:53PM) (new)

Sarah (sarath595) | 20 comments I'll second An Enemy of the People.

message 46: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments I'll also second An Enemy of the People. Sounds interesting!

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 7 comments I'll second Monkey: The journey to the West.

message 48: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 301 comments I'd like to second The Misanthrope

message 49: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments I will second The Misanthrope

message 50: by Julie (new)

Julie | 649 comments I second An Enemy of the People

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.