Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Truth and Lies (DI Amy Winter, #1)
This topic is about Truth and Lies
Book Club Selection > September 2018 Book Read - Truth and Lies, by Caroline Mitchell

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Gooch | 4085 comments Mod
Truth and Lies, by Caroline Mitchell

DI Amy Winter is hoping to follow in the footsteps of her highly respected police officer father. But when a letter arrives from the prison cell of Lillian Grimes, one half of a notorious husband-and-wife serial-killer team, it contains a revelation that will tear her life apart.

Responsible for a string of heinous killings decades ago, Lillian is pure evil. A psychopathic murderer. And Amy’s biological mother. Now, she is ready to reveal the location of three of her victims—but only if Amy plays along with her twisted game.

While her fellow detectives frantically search for a young girl taken from her mother’s doorstep, Amy must confront her own dark past. Haunted by blurred memories of a sister who sacrificed herself to save her, Amy faces a race against time to uncover the missing bodies.

But what if, from behind bars, Grimes has been pulling the strings even tighter than Amy thought? And can she overcome her demons to prevent another murder?

Discussion Leader - Bill Kupersmith

Bill Kupersmith | 586 comments Mod
Starting chap 13. With Caroline Mitchell we aren’t sure what to expect: we know police procedure will be accurate but character and plots are unpredictable. But a detective whose mum was a serial killer and stepdad a cop is irresistible for me.

Almost 1/3 done; Lillian the birth mum serial killer is jerking DI Amy about over revealing to whereabouts of 3 victims’ corpses meanwhile we have a missing child. Will the plot lines cross?

Beth Stewart | 606 comments I am Only 16%. Interesting so far

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 565 comments I am done. I enjoyed quite a bit of it, but had one issue. I'll post more on the spoiler thread later.

Beth Stewart | 606 comments Now I am intrigued with issue! Will keep reading

Erunyauve | 168 comments I sort of want to throttle her for not revealing her relationship to Lillian from the start, because you can see it's going to blow up in her face. The usual prohibition of handling a case in which she's personally involved wouldn't apply, because Lillian won't talk to anyone else.

Otherwise, the pacing is good and plot interesting - I've got all sorts of speculations as to how it's going to end She's a fairly complex character - I think the author's done well with creating the adult from a child with her past. I'm pinging the brother (her birth brother) for the kidnapping.

Beth Stewart | 606 comments Am at 41% and agree with the above that the brother would be a good suspect re the latest kidnapping, especially since the brother hasn't been introduced to us yet and "Sally-Ann's resemblance to Hermione had not been lost on her"....

Beth Stewart | 606 comments I really enjoyed this one! Suspenseful all the way through!!!!

Erunyauve | 168 comments 70% through, and I think it's obvious who the actual captor is, but it would be a spoiler to reveal that. And someone else seems to know far more details about the kidnapping than he or she should...

message 11: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am so glad you are enjoying this book. I’m falling a bit behind. Only 42 pc.

David Gooch | 4085 comments Mod
Ok ive started and have got a third read.

The big problem for me so far is it makes out that DI Winter has kept quiet to her bosses who her real Mum is.
I am sorry but when she joined the police they would do background checks and it would come up. They would know so why all this cloak and dagger of her keeping quiet about it?

message 13: by Beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth Stewart | 606 comments I agree David. That's a major flaw in the plot. At the least, she should have explained the situation to her boss right at the beginning