Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Murder at the Book Club (Barrett & Palmer, #1)
This topic is about Murder at the Book Club
Book Club Selection > September 2018 Value Book Read - Murder At The Book Club by Betsy Reavley

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Gooch | 4090 comments Mod
Murder At The Book Club, by Betsy Reavley

Imagine nine women meeting. Tea and cake are on the coffee table. They’ve come together to share their love of books. They are friends. They trust each other. It’s a happy gathering. What could be more harmless?

Then scratch the surface and look closer.

One is lonely. One is desperate and one of them is a killer.

When the body of a woman is discovered on a Cambridge common, DCI Barrett and DI Palmer are called in to investigate. But the motive behind the crime isn’t clear… And it all leads back to a book club.

As the lies, volatile friendships and tension among the group rise to the surface, DCI Barrett and DI Palmer must work out the motive and track down a cold-blooded killer. But just when they think they are on the right track, a twist in the case throws them off course…

Discussion Leader - David Gooch

message 2: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Stewart | 608 comments Just 18% of the way through and so far, it reminds me of what people call a "cozy" mystery.

Yes i thought it maybe Beth. I shall be starting it today.

message 4: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Stewart | 608 comments Well if it is we can plod Through. Will make
An easy read. LOL!

Right I'm a quarter done and we have our dead body now.

Time for the police to begin searching I hope in the next few chapters. We shall see.
At mo it has been all tea, cakes, book club and bitching about one another.

message 6: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Stewart | 608 comments Why would these woman get together Regularly when they clearly disliked each other immensely.

And why does Marion call everyone "pet"? It's irritating to the reader and makes me think she's meeting in a kennel club

I can accept they might not all like each other. That is just human nature.
People often do not say anything but harbour a dislike or moan about others behind their back while being nice to their face.

message 8: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Stewart | 608 comments Yes but would one Continue to Socialize in a group where feelings run so high. I think a group like that would either collapse or splinter off

It just isn't realistic To me

message 9: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Stewart | 608 comments Finished. Thankfully
I cannot understand how this book got such high ratings. I gave it one star.

Too many characters, none likeable, and none well developed so it was difficult at the beginning to keep the all straight.

The over use of endearments such as "chick", "love", "pet" became annoying. Do people really talk like that?

Not much in the way of a plot.

Won't be adding this author to my list of "must read".

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 565 comments Beth wrote: "Finished. Thankfully
I cannot understand how this book got such high ratings. I gave it one star.

Too many characters, none likeable, and none well developed so it was difficult at the beginning..."

Years ago another cozy mystery I read for a Goodreads Cozy mystery group used such endearments liberally and I questioned it at the time and multiple people responded saying that they did indeed use them with regularity. I guess it is just among certain circles. Or perhaps regionally?

message 11: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Stewart | 608 comments Remind me not to move to those regions, AngryGreyCat!