Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Murder at the Book Club (Barrett & Palmer, #1)
This topic is about Murder at the Book Club
Book Club Selection > Spoiler Discussion (Sep 2018) Value Read - Murder At The Book Club by Betsy Reavley

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

David Gooch | 4090 comments Mod
******* THIS THREAD MAY GIVE INFORMATION AWAY IF YOU HAVEN'T READ OR FINISHED THE BOOK ******

This is a spoiler thread for the September Value Book Read:Murder At The Book Club, by Betsy Reavley
Post in here if you wish to comment on the book and discuss details that may spoil or give away important or pertinent details for those who haven't read or finished the book yet.

David Gooch | 4090 comments Mod
OK I have finished it.

One thing at the end bothered me and don't know if it's me or I just missed it.

Janet the second murder victim was gay. Really where apart from the end where they said, was there anything remotely pointing at that in the book? Where were the hints at that then?

message 3: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Stewart | 608 comments I missed the gay factor altogether. It was mentioned at the beginning that Janet latched on to Shirley but I didn't interpret that as gay.

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 565 comments I thought it was a unrequited girl- crush type thing, with Janet and Shirley. Not necessarily gay, but just some kind of clingy/co-dependent relationship. I believe I remember some comments about the oddness of the relationship at some point early on in the book.

This book seemed to have an identity crisis. It seems on the surface like a cozy, but it doesn't really have that feel to it. Books like this can have a hard time being marketed because they don't fit neatly into a niche.

I thought it was an okay read, if not very flattering for women, with all the gossipy backstabbing stereotype kind of characters.

message 5: by Beth (new) - rated it 1 star

Beth Stewart | 608 comments I just thought Shirley was odd. Mind you, they were all rather odd in their own backstabbing, gossipy way