Great American Read List discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Congratulations, Bethany!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Sep 01, 2018 12:09PM) (new)

Lavan Zerach | 498 comments Mod
Bethany has completed her goal of reading 5 books for the Great American Read List Challenge!

Thank you for participating, Bethany!
There are still 7 weeks and 3 days before PBS announces a winner. I hope you will continue to enjoy reading selections from The Great American Read list, both group reads and side-reads.
Of those you've read so far this year, which do you like the most?

I'm glad you're joining in with our second book series, Lonesome Dove. I'm looking forward to your thoughts!

message 2: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Congrats, Bethany!

message 3: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 123 comments Thanks, Lavan!
Of the stand alones, I liked Memoirs of a Geisha the best. The story was engaging and I could get into the flow of the novel.
Siddartha was probably the most well-written of the ones I've read--lovely prose and each word counted. No waste.

message 4: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I really loved Memoirs of a Geisha. A really good book. I'm looking forward to it when it comes up for our read one day.

message 5: by Lavan, moderator (last edited Sep 03, 2018 09:44AM) (new)

I've not had the pleasure of reading Memoirs of a Geisha yet, but I'm looking forward to it more so given your praise, Bethany and Tasha!
It's been on my to-read shelf for awhile, even before PBS's Launch Special aired. It's also on another list I'm making my way through.

I like that you distinguished between which list book you enjoyed the most and which you think is best-written.

I'm thinking about posting a questionnaire at the end of the year for members to share their thoughts on list books they've read in 2018—their favorite, best-written, etc.
It would be a nice way to encourage discussion of our progress before the new year begins.

message 6: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 123 comments The English major in me had to mention the best writing, but the middle school teacher needed to point out which book had the most interesting story.

message 7: by Lavan, moderator (new)

If I were to choose right now out of The Great American Read list books that I've read this year it'd be:

favorite—A Game of Thrones

best-written—Siddhartha

I wonder if these will change for me before 2018 ends.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.