Space Opera Fans discussion

Reader Discussions > Experimental Space Drive

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2649 comments Mod
I’ve read several interesting books where an experimental space drive plays a crucial part. Some genius or serendipitous inventor builds it, and in most cases a small group that is NOT the government uses it in a space ship.

The April (April, #1) by Mackey Chandler April series by Mackey Chandler includes more than one of these, as well as other new technology.

The Cambridge Annex The Trilogy by Peter Damon The Cambridge Annex: The Trilogy by Peter Damon has a couple of grad students discovering one, and the first book is their struggle to get into space before someone else steals it or kidnaps them and locks them away for life, to prevent the entire transportation industry from collapsing - because this new tech works on planet too.

Have you read a good book that has one?

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Sep 04, 2018 05:40PM) (new)

message 3: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2649 comments Mod
Good one E.C.! I wouldn’t call it any sillier than the one from Mouse on the Moon though.

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Strong | 10 comments Triplanetary

Oh wow, I can't believe that made me think of the inertialess drive used in the Lensman series, introduced in Triplanetary, first book in the series. I haven't thought about those books in like … forever!

message 5: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 303 comments There's an experimental starship in Toby Frost's A Game of Battleships which has an experimental drive based on, err... Alice Through the Looking Glass. The Space Captain Smith books are very funny.

The bloater drive in Harry Harrison's Bill, the Galactic Hero is military, but one of the silliest outside of the Hitch-Hiker's books.