Frankenstein: The 1818 Text
This topic is about Frankenstein
Group Reads > Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1751 comments Mod
Discuss our September 2018 Completest selection here

Glenda | 61 comments I can't believe how much I'd forgotten! Of course, I read it around the same time as The Scarlet Letter and The Canterbury Tales so I'm guessing my young teen mind was pretty numb, haha. I'm about half-way through and enjoying my fresh look on it, nice not to have to write an essay or take a test afterwards!

Jessica | 118 comments I've never read it before, but cannot help but be acquainted with the story (of course ;-)). So far pleasantly surprised by the book.

message 4: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am rereading - last time I read was back in high school so more than half my life ago! It moves a lot faster than I remembered, but there seems to be kind of a slow spot right after (view spoiler). But, so far, its as good as I remember!

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments Does anyone have any feedback on different versions of this book? I found an old copy in my library from pyramid books which I probably bought in high school which is under 200 pages. But then I was looking at other editions/publishers and the page count is 250-330 pages? Are there different versions - is this including illustrations or critical writings? Why does one version seem so radically shorter than others?

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol | 59 comments Brooklyn wrote: "Does anyone have any feedback on different versions of this book?... Why does one version seem so radically shorter than others?"

Often it's just a matter of the font size -- same number of words, but in tiny print.

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments you might be right - because it's teeny tiny font size (it's an old paperback)

Glenda | 61 comments Brooklyn wrote: "Does anyone have any feedback on different versions of this book? I found an old copy in my library from pyramid books which I probably bought in high school which is under 200 pages. But then I wa..."

I have the Penguin Classics version and the actual story is around 200 pages with about 110 pages worth of notes, appendices, and a lengthy introduction.

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments Glenda wrote: "Brooklyn wrote: "Does anyone have any feedback on different versions of this book? I found an old copy in my library from pyramid books which I probably bought in high school which is under 200 pag..." That makes sense.

Brooklyn (brooklynjoe) | 69 comments I am enjoying book - and it is NOTHING like the classic movie with Boris Karloff.

Jessica | 118 comments I really didn't enjoy this month's read and begrudged my choice of picking it up. But now I find that there is a Frankenstein themed science exhibition in one of my countries leading museums and actually... it might be interesting now!

https://rijksmuseumboerhaave.nl/te-zi...

Though already in the exhibition description they use the movie's version of the creation of Frankenstein... so I fear despite my dislike of the book I will immediately turn into an annoying know-it-all there ;-)

message 13: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica wrote: "I really didn't enjoy this month's read and begrudged my choice of picking it up. But now I find that there is a Frankenstein themed science exhibition in one of my countries leading museums and ac..."

Sounds like a silver lining to a mediocre reading experience!

message 14: by NancyJ (last edited Dec 20, 2018 12:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Brooklyn wrote: "Does anyone have any feedback on different versions of this book? I found an old copy in my library from pyramid books which I probably bought in high school which is under 200 pages. But then I wa..."

Yes there were two different versions. It was confusing for me because I was unintentionally reading one version and listening to the other on audio. After Mary's husband (Percy Shelley, the famous poet) died, she went back into the book to make some revisions. She added to some sections and shortened others. I think it was partly in response to public outrage over some of the scenes. She sought to build a stronger explanation to help the reader understand it. She also wanted to fight some suggestions that her husband actually wrote the book. He did help edit the book and he inserted some extra information about the old theories that stirred Victor's obsession. She rewrote sections that Percy insisted on including. Perhaps most of it was a perfectionist desire to make it better. (I honestly don't know how authors "let go" of a book and stop thinking of ways to make it better.)

Right after I read Frankenstein, I read a biographical (fictionalized) book on Mary Shelley and her mother Mary Wollstonecroft who was a famous writer (and feminist) in her day. There was also a TV special based on her to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Frankenstein, though I missed it.

I read Frankenstein to work on the PBS Great American Read list. Is anyone else here working on that list?

message 15: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ wrote: "Brooklyn wrote: "Does anyone have any feedback on different versions of this book? I found an old copy in my library from pyramid books which I probably bought in high school which is under 200 pag..."

Feel free to share that list with a post in the list discussion folder. I would like to see it and maybe use some of the titles in a future poll.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) The movie "Mary Shelley" is currently airing on Showtime. It will be on several times in the next week. I saw a bit of it last night and it looks pretty interesting. Mary is not what you'd expect a horror writer to be like!

message 17: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ wrote: "The movie "Mary Shelley" is currently airing on Showtime. It will be on several times in the next week. I saw a bit of it last night and it looks pretty interesting. Mary is not what you'd expect a..."

I have seen a joke floating around about while most of us were struggling through college at 20, Mary Shelly was writing Frankenstein - and that should make us fee worse! :)