Play Book Tag discussion

Speak No Evil
This topic is about Speak No Evil
September 2018: Friendship > Speak No Evil by Uzodinma Iweala 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Theresa (last edited Sep 01, 2018 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Theresa | 8335 comments From the moment you meet Niru and Meredith, high school seniors and best friends, private school students destined for ivy league colleges, you are pulled into their stories, feel the isolation they each feel, drawn to watch as the inevitable happens. Absolutely brilliant writing, not an excess word or wasted sentence.

Niru is the son of Nigerian immigrants, struggling with his sexual identity, an uncompromising controling father, and being black amongst privileged Americans. Meredith is white, daughter of well-connected liberals, struggling with her own sexual identity, and aloof parents. Both are fragile and lonely, struggling, typical of so many 'privileged' teenagers today. Their friendship both saves and destroys them and their families.

So many of the problems roiling our country today - racial profiling, sexual identity, (view spoiler), more - are portrayed, and here set against a background you do not expect. If you were moved by The Hate U Give, you will like this.

Niru's and Meredith's story, so tautly told by Iweala, is going to live with me for a long time.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6848 comments Sounds like one I wold like to read.

message 3: by AJ (new)

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 830 comments This is going on my TBR. Thanks for reviewing it!