One Word After Another Book Club discussion

Off Topic > Movies and TV

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments I love to collect stories and movies/books/TV shows are my favorite forms of entertainment.

I just finished Insatiable which was an interesting, if a bit over the top, show on Netflix. I really enjoyed it for what it was. Kind of a guilty pleasure kind of show.

I also just saw Searching in theaters. It was an amazing thriller type movie.

Have any of you seen anything good lately on TV or in theaters?

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments I just saw Rebirth on Netflix. Interesting film. Guy convinces his friend to join him in a social self help group retreat thing. It turns out to be way more than he bargained for. Not the best film of its kind, but it was weird enough for me to enjoy it for what it was.

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (Wyse) Schoch (tammyschoch) | 38 comments I finally watched The Titanic. Never saw it in all these years. My 4 year old grandson who is obsessed with ships convinced me. 🚢

message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments Did you enjoy it?

I'm currently watching Attack on Titan. It's a sci-fi action adventure dystopia kind of show. It is kinda crazy and creepy. It's one of those shows where it is hard to describe it without giving away the shock of it. It's one of those things you have to experience

message 5: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (Wyse) Schoch (tammyschoch) | 38 comments Through the eyes of my grandson, it’s all about the propellers and the ship splitting into two pieces. It’s not the sort of movie I normally watch, but it was ok. I never would have thrown the diamond back into the ocean. 😄

message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments Me either!

I also recently saw A Simple Favor with Anna Kendrick. It was a bit slow moving, but it was soooooo good. One of those slow burn thrillers. Not quite as good as Searching, but I really enjoyed both movies.

message 7: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Schoch (lydiaschoch) | 26 comments I recently started watching Disenchantment. It's an animated fantasy comedy about a princess who keeps escaping her castle home in order to go on all kinds of adventures.

Despite being animated, this is definitely a show for adults. There is a lot of off-colour humour in it that makes me chuckle.

message 8: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments I saw that too! The opening theme song was catchy. You can tell it is made by the same guy that does The Simpsons. Do you ever watch Anime? A lot of the Anime that comes over here is aimed at teens, but they use animation to make all kinds of shows.

message 9: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Schoch (lydiaschoch) | 26 comments Oops, I missed this comment earlier. No, I've never seen any Anime. Which ones do you like?

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments I like a lot of them. My favorite series is Escaflowne. It is a kind of scifi/fantasy/romance/action/adventure. They made a movie based off the same characters, but is basically squished the series down into 2 hours and it lost a lot of its charm and drama. Unfortunately they only made 1 season of it. My favorite current series would have to be Attack on Titan. That one is on Netflix. It's kind of a futuristic horror/action series. Your Name is a recent film that I also loved. It is a time travel romance film. It is kind of hard to explain, but it was really good.

message 11: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Schoch (lydiaschoch) | 26 comments Cool. I'm going to try to find Escaflowne, Attack on Titan, and Your Name.

message 12: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments Your Name and Attack on Titan would probably be easier to find. Crunchyroll and Netflix have Attack on Titan. Not sure if either has Your Name. Escaflowne is a bit older so it might be harder to find.

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 96 comments Your Name is also know as Kimi No Na Wa

message 14: by Lydia (new)

Lydia Schoch (lydiaschoch) | 26 comments Good to know!