All About Books discussion

Upcoming Monthly Reads > September 2018 - What will you be reading?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Time flies and Sept. is already here! Share your reading plans, or lack of them, with us here.

message 2: by Leslie (last edited Sep 24, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I will finish up the books I am currently reading - *Death of the Heart and Lord of Chaos (Wheel of Time #6) - and then I hope to read:

Force of Nature if my library hold finally comes in!
Trouble for Lucia
The Florentine Dagger
The Mystery of Angelina Frood (Dr. Thorndyke #10)
Murder by the Book (Nero Wolfe #19)
*The Road
Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage (audiobook)
The Beautiful and Damned (audiobook)
The Lady in the Lake

and maybe also:
*Midnight's Children
*Carpe Jugulum (Discworld #23)
Elusive
Boar Island
Bank Shot
8 Faces at 3

message 3: by Pam (last edited Sep 18, 2018 10:54AM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 677 comments Started 2 books today:
Ostland 5 stars
The Hired Man

After that, I hope to read:
Caroline: Little House, Revisited
Rush Oh!
The Real-Town Murders (added on 9/18)
The Hobbit - Maybe?

Start (for a LONG read):
Don Quixote

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Pam - I think that The Hobbit is a lot of fun (trying to turn your maybe into a yes!). Good luck with Don Quixote - I read it in a buddy read and it was helpful to have others to point out humor or background I didn't have and to encourage each other to keep going.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 677 comments Leslie- Thanks for the encouragement! I have The Hobbit as a “maybe” because this will be a very busy month for me starting mid-month. I plan on reading it by the end of the year, though, since I want to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy also! I can’t believe I haven’t read these books yet. I’m thinking about asking my dad to do a buddy read on Don Quixote with me. It’s one of his favorite books. He still talks and laughs about it, like he read it yesterday, when actually it was more like 60 years ago!

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Pam wrote: "Leslie- Thanks for the encouragement! I have The Hobbit as a “maybe” because this will be a very busy month for me starting mid-month. I plan on reading it by the end of the year, though, since I w..."

My dad was the person who encouraged me to read it too! I think asking your dad to buddy read or at least discuss it with you is a great idea! I don't know your situation but maybe talking over what you have read weekly, whether over the phone or in person, would work. And it will be a good memory to have later; I find that one of the things I miss most now my parents are gone is talking about books!

message 7: by Raul (last edited Sep 18, 2018 10:31AM) (new)

message 8: by Laurel (last edited Sep 02, 2018 11:23AM) (new)

Laurel Bradshaw (llawryf) | 688 comments I am currently listening to Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder by Caroline Fraser. I have several things I have started in print that I will TRY and finish this month. What You Are Getting Wrong About Appalachia by Elizabeth Catte, a follow up to reading Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis, and it is short. A very small book of poetry The Wild Iris by Louise Gluck. Just started Veil of Lies by Jeri Westerson, the first of her Crispin Guest mysteries. We are friends on Facebook, so I thought it was about time I actually read something of hers! I plan to read that this weekend, since the weather is looking quite rainy for the next two days. There are other books I'm setting aside for this one because it is a library ebook and will expire. So we'll see if I can work in more actual reading this month! I recently watched the movie of A Wrinkle in Time. It was okay but not a lot like I remember the book by Madeleine L'Engle. So I want to reread that now, and I think I might try and read most of her fiction, with so many crossover characters between series. A couple of her very early novels were recent deals on Amazon kindle, so I've downloaded them... I've always been a big Madeleine L'Engle fan, but of her children's books I've only read the Time series.

Laurel

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 677 comments Leslie wrote: "I think asking your dad to buddy read or at least discuss it with you is a great idea! ..."

Leslie- My dad said he would do it, if he can find a copy of the book! He just lives 30 minutes away so we can meet in person and discuss over breakfast or lunch.

message 11: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Wow, Chrissie - you are planning to read some Agatha Christie books! I hope that you like them (she is a great favorite of mine) though I know that you don't care for mysteries in general.

message 12: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Pam wrote: "Leslie wrote: "I think asking your dad to buddy read or at least discuss it with you is a great idea! ..."

Leslie- My dad said he would do it, if he can find a copy of the book! He just lives 30 m..."

That's wonderful Pam!

message 14: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Leslie wrote: "Wow, Chrissie - you are planning to read some Agatha Christie books! I hope that you like them (she is a great favorite of mine) though I know that you don't care for mysteries in general."

It is a test. I am not so sure they will work for me.

message 15: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 677 comments Leslie- Thank you for encouraging me to read The Hobbit! I started it yesterday and love it! I had no idea that it was humorous. And, I see that 57 of my friends have read it, so what am I waiting on?! I needed something to lift my mood after a depressing WWII Holocaust book. This book is doing the trick!

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Pam wrote: "Leslie- Thank you for encouraging me to read The Hobbit! I started it yesterday and love it! I had no idea that it was humorous. And, I see that 57 of my friends have read it, so what am I waiting ..."

So glad that you are enjoying it!

message 17: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 352 comments Pam wrote: "Leslie- Thank you for encouraging me to read The Hobbit! I started it yesterday and love it! I had no idea that it was humorous. And, I see that 57 of my friends have read it, so what am I waiting ..."

Which WW2 book was that Pam? Curious minds....some of my favorite books have been about this horrifying, yet fascinating time.

message 19: by Chrissie (last edited Sep 12, 2018 09:01PM) (new)

Chrissie Colleen wrote: "September books:

Finished:
If The Creek Don't Rise - 5 stars
The Last Summer - 3 stars
The Other Einstein - 5 stars

Reading:
"

All Quiet on the Western Front is utterly fantastic.Einstein: His Life and Universe and Einstein's Greatest Mistake: A Biography are two books you should check out. I gave both of them four stars. I have been considering The Other Einstein.......

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I have veered somewhat off course from my list and read:

The Barbarous Coast (audiobook)
The Lightning Thief
Dragonflight {reread}
Bruno, Chief of Police
Big Money (audiobook)

and am now reading England, Their England...

message 21: by Pam (last edited Sep 18, 2018 10:52AM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 677 comments Colleen wrote: Which WW2 book was that Pam? Curious minds....some of my favorite books have been about this horrifying, yet fascinating time. ..."

I read Ostland by David Thomas. It's actually very good but it's WWII, so it's sad and heart-breaking for everyone involved. But, it does offer some insight to how a decent moral German individual became a Nazi monster. I've never read a book from a Nazi officer perspective. The first half is about a serial killer that the protagonist is involved with catching. The second half is about the trial of the protagonist for war crimes. It's based on a true story.

message 22: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 352 comments Pam wrote: "Colleen wrote: Which WW2 book was that Pam? Curious minds....some of my favorite books have been about this horrifying, yet fascinating time. ..."

I read Ostland by [author:David T..."

Added to the TBR!

message 23: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 677 comments Great Colleen! I hope you like it! I found myself thinking about it every night, while I was reading it and even after.

message 24: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Pam wrote: "Colleen wrote: Which WW2 book was that Pam? Curious minds....some of my favorite books have been about this horrifying, yet fascinating time. ..."

I read Ostland by [author:David T..."

I have added that now too. Looks interesting. Thank you,

message 25: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 677 comments Great Chrissie! I realize that I misspoke. There is not a first and second part but rather a dual timeline, going back and forth between the war years and the post-war trial.

message 26: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie I am a bit hesitant bout the serial killer thread, but understanding hos a good moral Ger,man is puled into the Nazi party attracts me, not that it will be the first of such books for me.

message 27: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 677 comments Chrissie wrote: "I am a bit hesitant bout the serial killer thread, but understanding hos a good moral Ger,man is puled into the Nazi party attracts me, not that it will be the first of such books for me."

Chrissie- I don't normally read thrillers but, surprisingly, I really liked that part of the book! Without it, the book wouldn't be quite as interesting. You'll see what I mean, if you read it.

message 28: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie Pam wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "I am a bit hesitant bout the serial killer thread, but understanding hos a good moral Ger,man is puled into the Nazi party attracts me, not that it will be the first of such books ..."

OK, thanks for explaining.

message 29: by Norton (new)

Norton Beckerman. (nortsb) | 97 comments I'm reading two books at the moment Snuff by Terry Pratchett and The Poppy Wars by Kuang. I'm reading The Poppy Wars because one of groups proposed it for September reading. Before I joined Goodreads and this group I probably would have not read either. Thanks!

message 30: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 677 comments Norton- I love Terry Pratchett! I’ve only read a few of his books and only 1 Discworld! Next year, I will read some more. I love his sense of humor!

message 31: by Norton (new)

Norton Beckerman. (nortsb) | 97 comments I found him by accident. I was looking on the library shelf and his book just popped out at me. When I fist started reading "Snuff" I thought it was humorous, but not for me. I'm a serious guy. But I couldn't put it down. His characters are wonderful, his story is outstanding and the writing keeps you turning pages.

message 32: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Norton wrote: "I found him by accident. I was looking on the library shelf and his book just popped out at me. When I fist started reading "Snuff" I thought it was humorous, but not for me. I'm a serious guy. But..."

I discovered Terry Pratchett through our recommendation swap several years ago -- my recommendation was Hogfather and since it was December, it was seasonally appropriate and hilarious! Many thanks to our mod Heather who recommended it to me :-)