Tudor History Lovers discussion

Group Reads > Winner Chosen - Group Read for October 2018

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1979 comments What book about the Tudors or Tudor England would you like to have as our Group Read in October 2018?

If it's in a series, can it be easily read as a stand-alone? If not, you might want to nominate the first book in the series, or the most recent book in it the group has not read together.

Can't remember what we've already read as a group? (Sometimes I can't, either.) There's a "group-reads" shelf on the group's Bookshelf.

Two nominations to a person, please.

message 2: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (creativecountry0407gmailcom) | 107 comments I will nominate The House of Beaufort The Bastard Line that Captured the Crown by Nathen Amin and The Other Boleyn Girl (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #9) by Philippa Gregory .

message 3: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 36 comments The King is Dead The Last Will and Testament of Henry VIII by Suzannah Lipscomb and 1536 The Year That Changed Henry VIII by Suzannah Lipscomb

I can't believe we are picking books for October already.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1979 comments Yeah, it feels like it was Memorial Day about a week ago.

message 5: by Antonietta (new)

Antonietta | 33 comments Mary Tudor England's First Queen by Anna Whitelock
and Jane Boleyn: the infamous Lady Rochford by Julia Fox

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1979 comments We read Jane Boleyn: The True Story of the Infamous Lady Rochford in October 2015 - so you have a nomination left, Antonietta.

message 7: by Antonietta (new)

Antonietta | 33 comments OK thank you. So... " The Lady Mary" by Lucy Worsley

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1979 comments We read Katherine of Aragón: The True Queen in July 2016 - so you still have two nominations, Nora.

message 9: by Silvia (new)

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine | 34 comments Silvia wrote: "I'll nominate A Dead Man in Deptford A Dead Man in Deptford by Anthony Burgess"

I was going to nominate Dead Man in Deptford! Great book, I'll vote for it!

message 12: by Kris (new)

Kris | 2 comments Watch the Lady by Elizabeth Freemantle
The Voyage of the Destiny by Robert Nye

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1979 comments I'll probably be closing nominations and opening the poll later today, so now would be a good time to make any last minute suggestions.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1979 comments The poll is now open. You'll find it at the top of the Polls section, the bottom of the group's Home page, or here: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1... .

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1979 comments If the poll closed now (which it does not) the winner would be Ian Mortimer's The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England.

message 17: by Silvia (new)

Silvia | 73 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "If the poll closed now (which it does not) the winner would be Ian Mortimer's The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England."
Great book!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1979 comments It did indeed win, and we'll be discussing it here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... .

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda Arroz | 11 comments I have already read (actually listened on audible) this book, but will follow discussion! This gives me time to read September's choice of "The Sisters of Henry VIII."
October's choice is quite interesting. I also listened to the Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England, also by the same author. Enjoy!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1979 comments He's got a guide to Restoration Britain, too.

message 21: by Silvia (new)

Silvia | 73 comments The guide to medieval England is the one I liked best.

message 22: by Carolina (new)

Carolina Casas | 69 comments I nominate Elizabeth I A Study in Insecurity by Helen Castor and The Turbulent Crown The Story of the Tudor Queens by Roland Hui

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1979 comments We've already chosen October's read, Carolina - be sure to nominate those next time, though!