The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 25.4 - Shanna Redwind's task: Country Fairs

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 15, 2018 03:11PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
25.4 - Shanna Redwind's task: Country Fairs

It's Autumn in Canada, and that means that it's time for the Agricultural Fairs that are held in small towns across the country. These fairs are a major source of Fall entertainment.

When you arrive at the fair, the first thing you may notice is a not unpleasant assault on your senses. There's the smell of popcorn and other fair foods, competing with the earthier scent of animals. There's the bright colours and the quickly moving rides and there's the cries of delight mingling with the calls of the livestock. There's so much to see and do, that it's hard to know what to do first.

Lets travel through a country fair by choosing the first two activities you'd like to do. Read two books that fit two different activities listed below.

Books with the Main Page Genres of Sequential Art, Comics, Comic Book, and Manga may be used for this task.

Required: State which options you used when you post.

1. Carnival Games

Let's take a stroll down the aisle that has all the games stalls. There's duck ponds, water guns, gopher pounding and ball throwing. Everything has lights and sounds, and the game attendants are calling out the people, trying to entice them to play a game

In this game, you have three shots. Use the Goodreads Book Randomizer 3 times. Record your first 3 generated hits (*see note*). Choose a word from the title, subtitle or series of one of the books. The following words may NOT be used: a, an, and, the, to. Now, read a book with your chosen word in the title, subtitle, or series title. The word must match exactly.

*Note:* If any of your shots are duds, (none of the allowable words in the book's title would appear in an English dictionary or the title is not in English [or a language you read]) you may take another shot and choose another random book.

Required: Provide a link to ALL your random shots and specify the one that hit the target (the random book you used) when you post.

Optional Bonus: To be clear, this is not part of the task, but completely optional
To win the human sized imaginary stuffed pineapple that's hanging from game ceiling, read one of your random books. Please, if you manage this feat, brag about it and let us know what book you read and if you were able to fit it into the challenge anywhere.

2. Rides

To most kids, the rides are the heart of the fair. Ferris wheels, merry go rounds, The Scrambler and so many others flash brightly, inviting patrons of the fair to dash from ride to ride, with crumpled tickets gripped tightly in their hands.

Read a book that an amusement park ride appears on the cover

For example:
Four A Divergent Story Collection (Divergent, #0.1 - 0.4) by Veronica Roth TransAtlantic by Colum McCann

Required: Include the cover in your post

3. Carnival Food

Mouth watering and oh, so bad for you, carnival food sizzles in booths along the walkway. The stalls for roasted corn, dripping in butter sit beside stalls for deep fried mars bars. Popcorn and burgers, hotdogs and candy apples, it's all available here. Off to the side perhaps there's even pies for sale, supporting a local group.

Read a book from the first 3 pages of this list: Food-Related Fiction

Required: State the page that your book is found on when you post.

4. Demolition Derby

When evening comes, this is what many of the teens are here for. In a dirt enclosure cars duel each other for supremacy. The tortured screech and bang of metal on metal continues until there is only one car remaining in mobile condition.

Read a book in which a car or cars play a major role throughout the book. The focus of the book must be on car(s), not trucks or other vehicles.

For example: Christine, On The Edge, From a Buick 8, Once Around the Track, Revved, Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans, Clarkson on Cars, Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do

Required: If the role of the car(s) is not obvious in the Goodread's description of the book, explain the connection when you post.

5. Craft Building

Only as an adult did I come to appreciate the care that went into the artwork, quilts, displays, and also the preserves to be judged. As a child I just went in because my parents made me, and endured it until I was once again allowed to go back to the rides. Now it's my favourite part of the fair.

Read a book with the MPG of art or crafts, stand alone or embedded.

Be careful that your book adheres to the SRC general rule about "Coffee table" and Art books. All books must contain at least 100 pages of text.

6. Barns

No fair would be complete without the barns of animals. Cows and chickens, horses and goats. Here you are able to watch cows being shown, and see the blue ribbon on the best chicken of its particular breed. Often there are more exotic animals in the petting zoo.

Read a book which has been written by an author with an animal that appears intact in their name. This animal may appear in any position in the name. If there are multiple authors only one must have an animal in their name.

For example:
Candice Fox (fox), Bailey Cates (cat), Laura Bates (bat), Robin Cook (robin), Anthony Horowitz (ant), Cody McFadyen (cod)

Required: Point out the animal name you used when you post.

message 2: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Sep 10, 2018 05:52AM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Books that work
Option 2
Prairie County Fair by Lynn A. Coleman The Long and Faraway Gone by Lou Berney
Option 4
The Geography of Lost Things by Jessica Brody

message 3: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Sep 15, 2018 06:06PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Not approved for task
Option 4
North to You (Journey to the Heart #1) by Tif Marcelo

message 4: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Reserved 3

message 5: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 6: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments For option 4, a car is major to the plot--- would this one work?

The Geography of Lost Things

message 7: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Kathy G. wrote: "For option 4, a car is major to the plot--- would this one work?

The Geography of Lost Things"

Yes, that book works.

message 8: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Thank you!!!

message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4261 comments Would you accept this as a ferris wheel - Prairie County Fair by Lynn A. Coleman ?

message 10: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Bea wrote: "Would you accept this as a ferris wheel - Prairie County Fair by Lynn A. Coleman?"

That looks fine for a ferris wheel.

message 11: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4261 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Bea wrote: "Would you accept this as a ferris wheel - Prairie County Fair by Lynn A. Coleman?"

That looks fine for a ferris wheel."

Thank you. I thought it was one in motion but wasn't sure if it would look like that to another person.

message 12: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2700 comments Would Buck (male deer) work from Julia Buckley?

message 13: by Dee (last edited Sep 04, 2018 10:15AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7922 comments to make sure i understand one...use the randomizer which gives us a book title; chose word from book title and then read ANOTHER book that shares a word with that title?

my three random titles were:
1. Windows Sources Microsoft Excel 97 for Windows Superguide
2. Intellectual Dynamics in the Middle East and North Africa
3. La caresse du vampire

so i could read:
Under a Vampire Moon (vampire) or A Queen from the North (north)

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7922 comments Pam - i’m Planning on just copying and pasting the link to the 3 random books

message 15: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Trish wrote: "Would Buck (male deer) work from Julia Buckley?"
Yes, buck works.

Dee wrote: "to make sure i understand one...use the randomizer which gives us a book title; chose word from book title and then read ANOTHER book that shares a word with that title?

my three random titles wer..."

Yes, you've got it right. The results from the randomizer are rather... well... random, so asking someone to actually read those books was unfair. So either one of the books that you've suggested would be valid.

message 16: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2700 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Trish wrote: "Would Buck (male deer) work from Julia Buckley?"
Yes, buck works.

Thank you!

message 17: by Nick (last edited Sep 07, 2018 12:27PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2690 comments Shanna_redwind wrote:

Dee wrote: "to make sure i understand one...use the randomizer which gives us a book title; chose word from book ti..."

Will comic books work for one of the randomizer books from which you get your word?

message 18: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Sep 08, 2018 02:35PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Yes, any title you get works for the randomized book. They don't have to meet any guidelines since you're not actually reading those books for the challenge.

The one exception (And that is an optional exception) is when you get a "dud" that is in another language or has no useable words that are in the English Dictionary.

message 19: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2234 comments My first roll gave me You're Own Personal Genius and I would really like to know if the error was in the title of the book or in the entering into Goodreads.

message 20: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Sep 10, 2018 05:49AM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments My first thought was that I really, really hope it's an entry error. But we'll go with using the books as they are first seen, even if there's errors in the title. Then if it's driving you nuts you can fix it or have it fixed later.

A bit of Google Fu says that this is most likely an entry typo.

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1432 comments Does this work for a ferris wheel?

The Long and Faraway Gone by Lou Berney

message 22: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Yes, that's good.

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1432 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "Yes, that's good."

Thanks!

message 24: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Greene (dakimel) | 866 comments For option 4, can the car be a truck? (Specifically the food truck in this book?)

North to You

message 25: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Sep 15, 2018 06:04PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Melanie wrote: "For option 4, can the car be a truck? (Specifically the food truck in this book?)

North to You"

I'm sorry, I'm going to have to say no to the food truck and stick with cars only.

*Note that the above question was asked before an edit that explained the task better.

message 26: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 332 comments Is this ok for ferris wheel? It is there in the background.

Joyland by Stephen King

message 27: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Yes, that's fine. I can see the ferris wheel hiding back there

message 28: by Marie (UK) (last edited Sep 18, 2018 10:42AM) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments for option 1 on the randomiser i got Culture Shock and Japanese-American Relations: Historical Essays am i right in thinking i can read GAME, an American Novel

American being a shared word even though it is in subtitle

I also got The Walking Dead, Book One

and
after an unusable rennaiwokagakusuru my third shot was
Coastal Hydrodynamics

message 29: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Sep 18, 2018 07:30PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments (Yes, you are correct. GAME: an American Novel works for your random book.)

**Edited**
I have been made aware of an error of mine that makes this incorrect. GAME, an American Novel is not usable for this task.

message 30: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Sep 18, 2018 07:31PM) (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments I'm sorry, Marie. I've made an error. I was doing this on my phone and I didn't actually see the hyphen in Japanese-American. (I really should be using my glasses when I do things like this)

SRC treats a hyphenated word as a single word, so you would have to find a book that has the words Japanese-American, not just American. So GAME, an American Novel is not a valid book for this task.

I apologize for any difficulty this creates for you.

message 31: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Shanna_redwind wrote: "I'm sorry, Marie. I've made an error. I was doing this on my phone and I didn't actually see the hyphen in Japanese-American. (I really should be using my glasses when I do things like this)

SRC t..."

Its Ok Shanna i have options with "the Walking dead"

message 32: by Rach (new)

Rach (rachlovestv) | 263 comments For option 1, Carnival Games, the word "of" is not on the list of words we cannot use, but it feels in a similar vein to those that aren't allowed (a, an, and, the, to). One of the books the randomizer chose for me was "The Easy Burden of Pleasing God" and I was hoping to read "The Good Women of China" with "of" being the matching word. Is that ok?

message 33: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Of is an allowed word. That book is good to go.

message 34: by Trish (last edited Oct 16, 2018 05:09AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2700 comments Afternoon.

Could you genre lock Cut, Crop & Die for option 5 for me. I'm seeing 7 users with Art > Crafts.

Thanks.

message 35: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Genre noted. Arts>Crafts

message 36: by Julia (new)

Julia (julia103) | 1989 comments Does The Runaway Quilt work for Option 5? The MPG is Crafts > Quilting.
(I was pleasantly surprised to see this genre on a fiction book.)

message 37: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Yes, that works for Option 5. MPG of Crafts noted.

message 38: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments For those of you who have read one of your random books, here's your prize:

description

message 39: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2579 comments Hahahahaha! I love it! Thanks, Shanna. :)

message 40: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Calhoun | 211 comments Setting Free the Kites by Alex George work for option 2?

message 41: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 655 comments Kayla wrote: "Setting Free the Kites by Alex George work for option 2?"

Yes, that works