Addicted to YA discussion

Traitor to the Throne (Rebel of the Sands, #2)
This topic is about Traitor to the Throne
Series > Traitor to the Throne

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5323 comments Mod
This discussion will be lead by Jasmine. The discussion leader will be here to help keep the conversation going.

message 2: by Jasmine (last edited Sep 01, 2018 05:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jasmine | 5194 comments Hey everyone! I'm Jasmine and as Erika said I will be the discussion leader for Traitor to the Throne. I recently finished this trilogy and loved it and am excited to discuss the second book with all of you. To get things started tell me:
What did you think of the first book and its ending?

KatiEllen | 34 comments I loved this series too!! I found the first book really refreshing and different to a lot of books I read. I liked the ending, there were so many directions the book could have gone in after the end. Definitely wasn't expecting the direction the second book went it. So good!!

Jasmine | 5194 comments KatiEllen wrote: "I loved this series too!! I found the first book really refreshing and different to a lot of books I read. I liked the ending, there were so many directions the book could have gone in after the en..."

I agree! It did feel refreshing, and I liked the journey to ann area that isn't as prominent in YA fiction.

Veni~ (pure_poison) | 12 comments I've read the series and found it really enjoyable. I really liked the way their myths intertwined with the storyline.
I liked the ending of the first book mostly because of the choice Nursham had to make. (I've read the books in translation so I apologize if I'm not spelling the name correctly) I really liked his character - he was not usual Y/A character in my opinion.

Jasmine | 5194 comments Nevena wrote: "I've read the series and found it really enjoyable. I really liked the way their myths intertwined with the storyline.
I liked the ending of the first book mostly because of the choice Nursham had..."

I agree! I listened to the books on audio, and I'm a terrible speller so I'm not much help there. He wasn't a typical character. What did you think of the revelation that he was Amani's brother?

Veni~ (pure_poison) | 12 comments Jasmine wrote: "I agree! I listened to the books on audio, and I'm a terrible speller so I'm not much help there. He wasn't a typical character. What did you think of the revelation that he was Amani's brother?"

I was actually surprised by that. Even the fact that they had the same eyes didn't struck me as odd. I think the storyline about the soldiers' children was so believable, that I didn't even question it. I think I liked him so much after it was revealed why the coal-mine was blown up.

What did you think about the speed of Jin and Amany falling for each other?

Jasmine | 5194 comments I actually thought it we well paced. I was a little worried because I'm not a fan of instal-love, but I thought the author made it clear they were attracted to each other without having them fall into the trap of saying "I love you" on day two. What are your thoughts?

KatiEllen | 34 comments So so agree!! Don't get me wrong I love a good romance, especially when it's a slow burner. But they had bigger things to fry so it had to take a back seat, in so many books the relationship ends up taking over

Jasmine | 5194 comments KatiEllen wrote: "So so agree!! Don't get me wrong I love a good romance, especially when it's a slow burner. But they had bigger things to fry so it had to take a back seat, in so many books the relationship ends u..."

Yes! I'm glad that wasn't the case with this one, and I love that each character is more than their romance. I felt without the romance they would both still be strong characters.

Speaking of characters does anyone have a favorite? Or a few favorites?

KatiEllen | 34 comments I'm not sure I really have a favourite character but when Armani's cousin gave her speech before her execution!! I've never loved someone so much, I practically fist pumped the air whilst on a packed train.

Veni~ (pure_poison) | 12 comments Jasmine wrote: "I actually thought it we well paced. I was a little worried because I'm not a fan of instal-love, but I thought the author made it clear they were attracted to each other without having them fall i..."

For me it felt a little rushed in book One. But to be honest, in
Traitor to the throne Jin's doubts kind of cooled it off.

Favorite characters- for me it was definetely Shazad... And a little bit- Shira :))

Jasmine | 5194 comments I love Shazad! She is such a strong female character, but she can also be feminine and such a good friend and general. And I also really love Hala. She is just so sassy and spicy, it makes for fun dialogue.

I could probably make a case for how I love all the characters, even the Sultan at times.

Veni~ (pure_poison) | 12 comments Jasmine wrote : I could probably make a case for how I love all the characters, even the Sultan at times.
In Traitor to the throne he was the most interesting character for me. I really liked his power with words and how he made everyone, even people who hate him, to seek his praise.

Jasmine | 5194 comments His ability to manipulate words was so meticulously done. I also liked the backstory. I hate a villain who is just evil to be evil, or who doesn't have a good reason. The idea of thinking you are making your kingdom safe is what turns good people into bad rulers. I really loved how this characters was done.

message 16: by Jasmine (last edited Sep 08, 2018 09:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jasmine | 5194 comments All the gene's children have distinct and interesting gifts. Many sibling pairs have different gifts despite having the same father. Some of their gifts prove more useful then others, but all are intriguing.

Which gift would you want?

message 17: by KatiEllen (last edited Sep 08, 2018 02:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

KatiEllen | 34 comments I wouldn't want to stick out. That's something I loved about the first book, it was so unexpected, the eye colour was just an assumption because her dad wasn't her dad.

I think I'd like to have something elemental, Sam's gift would scare the crap outta me!!

Avy ❄️ (justanotherhopelessromantic) | 8 comments Hey guys! Sorry I'm late tot he discussion, but I've been reading all your comments and love them! I've read this series twice, and have loved it both times. I think what I liked about it the most was, like you guys said, the romance was great but not too much. Like you knew they were attracted to each other instantly, but love grew and became a part of the story later on. I kinda like that it takes a backseat too, like Amani knows there are more important things going on and need to go be a bada** and Jin can tag along if he likes lol

Jasmine | 5194 comments I agree! I think Amani’s ability to stand on her own without the romance was great and then the romance just served to enhance the book.

Jasmine | 5194 comments Since we are more than halfway through the month I think it's time to get into some spoiler questions.

(view spoiler)

KatiEllen | 34 comments Jasmine wrote: "Since we are more than halfway through the month I think it's time to get into some spoiler questions.

(view spoiler)

Jasmine | 5194 comments KatiEllen wrote: "Jasmine wrote: "Since we are more than halfway through the month I think it's time to get into some spoiler questions.

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Jasmine | 5194 comments Last day. Of course, we can keep this discussion going as long as we want. Final question: (view spoiler)

KatiEllen | 34 comments Jasmine wrote: "Last day. Of course, we can keep this discussion going as long as we want. Final question:

(view spoiler)

Jasmine | 5194 comments KatiEllen wrote: "Jasmine wrote: "Last day. Of course, we can keep this discussion going as long as we want. Final question:

[spoilers removed]"

I cried. I did know what happened because of the way she had phrased it. (view spoiler)

Carrie | 10 comments Damn, I missed the discussion. I blame school.

I loved this book! I've actually just finished reading the third in the series, Hero at the Fall. I can't wait to see what else this author comes out with.

Jasmine | 5194 comments She’s got another book in the making. I couldn’t tell you what it’s about, what the title is, or even what genre it is. I just know it’s on my TBR list.

Kate6 Hi! I love this book! This trilogy is amazing!

My Instagram account is @Butterfly_Books6