Addicted to YA discussion

A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1)
This topic is about A Study in Charlotte
Series > A Study in Charlotte

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new)

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5323 comments Mod
This discussion will be lead by Summer Fazzone. The discussion leader will be here to help keep the conversation going.

Summer (speaking_bookish) (speaking_bookish) | 27 comments Hey everyone! My name is Summer and I’ve never been a discussion leader before but Ill do my very best 😉 I hope some of you will come hang and chat about A Study in Charlotte. I’m super excited to get into this, it’s been on my TBR forever! Anyone else had this one waiting on the shelf for just the right time??

Janet (janetll69) | 18 comments Summer wrote: "Hey everyone! My name is Summer and I’ve never been a discussion leader before but Ill do my very best 😉 I hope some of you will come hang and chat about A Study in Charlotte. I’m super excited to ..."

My in person YA book club read it last year and I quite enjoyed it. While this Watson is a little "weak" and wishy-washy compared to the original Watson, the pair of Jaime and Charlotte really did feel like the original pairing.

Danielle I read this last month and really enjoyed it. Charlotte is really secretive and wrapped up in her mind like Sherlock Holmes, and Jamie Watson is hopelessly devoted to her despite being ignored and manipulated, just like in the original tales. Really enjoyed the nod to the original tales in the crimes too.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancybf) | 5 comments This is my first YA Group Read and yes, I've had The Study of Charlotte on my TBR List for quite some time. My book arrives Sept 5 so you'll hear comments from me after that. Happy Fall everyone! Happy New School Year to those going back!

Summer (speaking_bookish) (speaking_bookish) | 27 comments Awesome. I’m just reading it now even though I’ve had the series for a while. I’ve been really looking forward to it because I love historical fiction and retellings.

What do you guys think of retellings?

Summer (speaking_bookish) (speaking_bookish) | 27 comments And I realize this is not historical fiction but I love that it’s a modern retelling of the books based on historical fiction.

Jennifer Murcia (ladyj_booknerd) I was so hooked on this book. So interesting it gave me a whole new perspective of things.

BooksByDano | 17 comments I read it quite a while ago and I want to reread it and continue on with the series. I love anything Sherlock Holmes

Summer (speaking_bookish) (speaking_bookish) | 27 comments I’ve never read the original Sherlock Holmes but I’ve read books starring The Map of the Sky and I may be inspired to read the actual works based on him.

Who is your favorite character in A Study Of Charlotte so far?

Summer (speaking_bookish) (speaking_bookish) | 27 comments What I meant was The Map of the Sky series by Félix J. Palma features Sherlock Holmes as a character!

Gretchen | 49 comments I loved the Sherlock Holmes twist. He is one my favorite mystery writers !
I loved that Holmes is a sixteen year old girl and Watson is a sixteen year old boy. The mystery is a good old fashioned murder mystery. I liked the book!
The only thing I had a hard time with is the drugs . It almost not quite was a distraction. I couldn't figure out if Ms. Cavallaro put it in the book to say hey the drugs will mess up your life or she was just fixating on the drugs I couldn't tell...
Thoughts??

message 13: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate (katespofford) | 61 comments Gretchen wrote: "I loved the Sherlock Holmes twist. He is one my favorite mystery writers !
I loved that Holmes is a sixteen year old girl and Watson is a sixteen year old boy. The mystery is a good old fashioned ..."

I agree that the drugs were a distraction. I haven't read the original Sherlock Holmes but he may have been a drug-addict as well?

I really loved the relationship between these two. Jamie is adorable.

Gretchen | 49 comments Kate wrote: "Gretchen wrote: "I loved the Sherlock Holmes twist. He is one my favorite mystery writers !
I loved that Holmes is a sixteen year old girl and Watson is a sixteen year old boy. The mystery is a go..."

I really liked Jamie too!

Sharon I’m just starting it now. Don’t have much to compare it to as I’ve never read the original Sherlock book. Hoping I enjoy it. 😊

message 16: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancybf) | 5 comments I barely remember the one Sherlock Holmes book I read in high school or movie I watched but I get the set up. The humour is definitely there as is the mystery. Still in early reading stages.

Summer (speaking_bookish) (speaking_bookish) | 27 comments What do you guys think about recreational drugs being so prominent in A Study Of Charlotte? Do you think it’s an appropriate topic for YA?

Summer (speaking_bookish) (speaking_bookish) | 27 comments appropriate

Danielle Summer wrote: "appropriate"

It’s what Sherlock does in all his books, it’s not glamorised so I think it’s OK, we see huge consequences because of it