Historical Fictionistas discussion

The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
This topic is about The Last Kingdom
Group Read Discussions > September 2018- The Last Kingdom *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jasmine | 1223 comments Mod
This is the spoilers thread for the September 2018 read The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell. Happy Reading!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished this yesterday and thought it was fab. I loved the humour and adventure and thought the battle scene at the end was one of the best I've ever read (not that I'm into reading lots of war fiction).

I can't wait to read the following books and wish we were doing this as a series group read.

I love how Uhtrid sees the good & bad in both the Danes & Saxons and takes the best from them to become the greatest fighter. It was lovely to see him grow up through the book & develop a great inner strength.

But is Ragner The Fearless really dead? Perhaps he'll make a comeback in future books. No bodies were found so it could be possible.

I hope everyone else enjoyed the adventure as much as me.

Connie (connier) | 52 comments I never imagined that Ragnar was not dead, but that it the beauty of a series, because it makes you want to start the next one to see what happens next.

I really enjoyed this one as well, and I have not read many books during this period except for maybe some romance novels and they definitely don't talk about battle like this one did.

Robin (ukamerican) | 528 comments Catriona wrote: "But is Ragner The Fearless really dead? Perhaps he'll make a comeback in future books. No bodies were found so it could be possible."

Do you really want to know the answer, or was that a rhetorical question?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It was a dangerously rhetorical question as I want to read the next books & find out lol! But I've watched the mini-series & saw that they burned Ragnar alive so I have no doubt now that he's dead.

I'm not watching past episode 5 as I've not read the second book yet but it's almost a completely new story it's deviated so much from the books.

Robin (ukamerican) | 528 comments Lol, the books are definitely better but I still enjoy the show.

Ashley Simpson | 1 comments I finished the book today and loved it! I have not read any books from this time period because I was under the assumption I would have found them & the time period boring. Boy was I wrong! I too am excited to read the rest of the series.

I also am curious as to whether Ragnar is dead. However I’m going to assume since there are more books he is alive. I also found it interesting he didn’t say, “...I found out later that...”, which he often did in the book.

Was anyone else surprised when he got married, since in the beginning of the book he talks about marrying Alfred’s daughter?

This was my first time reading with the group. Thanks for picking a great book!

Robin (ukamerican) | 528 comments Ashley wrote: "I finished the book today and loved it! I have not read any books from this time period because I was under the assumption I would have found them & the time period boring. Boy was I wrong! I too a..."

In regards to Alfred's daughter (Aethelflaed), (view spoiler)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 644 comments Catriona wrote: "I'm not watching past episode 5 as I've not read the second book yet but it's almost a completely new story it's deviated so much from the books.

The TV series covers more than one book per season, I think. The first season seemed reasonably close to the first two books, but if you weren't expecting the shift, that would be a shock.

I've read almost the entire series by now, and I do love Uhtred even though war books are not my usual fare. He matures wonderfully, too, over the course of the series. I've also talked with Bernard Cornwell three times about the books (the most recent interview is due to post Oct. 2). If you're interested, you can hear the interviews by searching online for the New Books Network, then for Cornwell on the main page.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

C.P. wrote:

The TV series covers more than on..."

Wow you were so lucky to speak to the author so many times! Thanks for the info - I'll check out the interviews.

message 11: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 644 comments Indeed! He's an absolute dear, too. If I weren't on my tablet, I'd post the links—or at least links to the GR pages that would get you right there (don't want to upset the moderators). Will try to do that soon.

The 2014 interview talks more about his history and the series to that point; the 2016 followup says more about the TV series, which didn't exist in 2014—by then, he was understandably reluctant to give too much away about the interim novels. But in 2018 I found a way around that, which I hope will work for future novels as well.

message 12: by C.P. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 644 comments If you haven't started yet, the e-book is $1.99 today (and perhaps beyond today). Worth checking, anyway.

message 13: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finally finished! I took longer than I wanted, but I really enjoyed this book. I find that I really enjoy his writing. I loved Uhtred and the way he grows in changes in the book. I really enjoyed the Danes more than the English. Ragnar was such a great character and like everyone else I somewhat question if he is dead.

I like that they left open the plot for Thyra's taking and I'm hoping the next book will cover that more, though I know that the series has several books, so I may be waiting a little bit.

I also kind of hate Alfred. He's not a very likable character and his inability to admit his own faults and lust for power makes me want to slap him. Personally, if I were Uhtred I would never serve him again after he gave him over as a hostage without even telling him he was going to do it. That was so cowardly.

Robin (ukamerican) | 528 comments Uhtred definitely has a complex relationship with Alfred.

message 15: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new) - rated it 5 stars

Complex is a good word for it. I just found Alfred really unlikeable.