Beyond Reality discussion

Declare
This topic is about Declare
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > Declare--Finished Reading **SPOILERS LIKLEY**

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathi | 3379 comments Mod
If you've finished reading Declare by Tim Powers this is the place to share your thoughts with the group.

Caution: There will likely be **SPOILERS** in this thread.

message 2: by Chris, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris (heroncfr) | 617 comments Mod
I am generally drawn to books that cross multiple genres, so this horror-fantasy/World War II-Cold War spy thriller should have been a winner. I finished it a week ago, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

It's certainly very dense. The agents/double agents/triple agents coupled with the narrative continually switching time periods left me constantly confused about who was allied with whom. Perhaps that was the point? The narrative was stylish, and definitely created a spy-thriller vibe. I found the best part of the book to be the author's note at the end, where Powers goes in to the known facts of Kim Philby's life and describes how he created the story in the empty places left behind.

message 3: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathi | 3379 comments Mod
I, too, found the multiple time jumps and the variety of spy agencies and sub-agencies to be confusing. I loved all the scenes with Elena and Hale in Paris and Berlin—they seems to flow easily. I know, in some ways, this was Kim Philby’s story and Hale was a convenient way to tell it, but I didn’t enjoy the scenes with Philby.

I have to admit, I didn’t know Mount Ararat was so tall, and had glaciers!

message 4: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2390 comments Mod
It has been several years since I've read this, and I remember very little, but I do remember that I found it kind of confusing. I'll read it again if I have time this month (and if I can pry it away from the husband)!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Declare (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tim Powers (other topics)