Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth, #5)
This topic is about Soul of the Fire
Sword of Truth > #5 (Sept) Soul of the Fire: Finished Reading (SPOILERS)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 963 comments Mod
This is the place for those who have finished reading Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkind, Book 5 in The Sword of Truth series. What did you think?

*****WARNING—Spoilers Likely!****

message 2: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 963 comments Mod
At least we got away from most of the sexual sadism and torture.
In many ways, this was one of my favorite books in the Sword of Truth series so far. We still have somewhat contrived situations simply because characters who are allies refuse to be honest with each other. But Richard and Kahlan, overall, are behaving a bit more like adults. I was glad to see Du Chaillu and the Baka Tau Mana return to the story. The story is more cohesive, with only a few side episodes away from the main action and characters. The finale is a bit of a fizzle militarily but satisfying from a magic point of view. And I had guessed the truth about the raven...

Thomas | 11 comments I haven't quiet reached the end yet but I'm struggling to get through this and to be honest really not enjoying it. The way Kahlan acts all the way through the book gets to me it seems she's lost her intelligence and become a weaker character as the mother confessor she's lived her whole life in charge of the Midlands but now seems to not to be able to make a decision and stick to it or back it up.
Kathi said about getting away from the sexual sadism but for Terry goodkind it seems to be am integral part of his books I think there could be alot less and it would have the same impact on his stories.

message 4: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 963 comments Mod
Thomas wrote: "I haven't quiet reached the end yet but I'm struggling to get through this and to be honest really not enjoying it. The way Kahlan acts all the way through the book gets to me it seems she's lost h..."

I agree that the sexual sadism seems to be a recurring theme with Goodkind. And in general, the books would have benefited from tighter editing and less repetition. I kept thinking that there is a good, original story in there, buried under a lot of philosophizing, sermonizing, and unnecessary sadism.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Soul of the Fire (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Terry Goodkind (other topics)