2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives > August 2018 Roundup

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (last edited Sep 02, 2018 07:29PM) (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 11426 comments Mod
 photo image_zpsrov4ysil.png

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?
4. Any standout or 5 star books read? Why did you love it/them?
5. Overall summary of your reading month?

Barb
Jessika
Jonetta
Kirsten
Lauren
Melissa
Michelle
Robin

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 2607 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

None

I moved forward in six series:
Highland Pleasures - Jennifer Ashley
Gaslight Mysteries - Victoria Thompson
Weekday Brides - Catherine Bybee
King and Maxwell - David Baldacci
Grace Valley series - Robyn Carr
Maiden Lane series - Elizabeth Hoyt

I read one 5-Star book in August: Single by Saturday (The Weekday Brides, #4) by Catherine Bybee by Catherine Bybee. This series gets better with each book.

All of my books, except the Catherine Bybee book, were between 3 and 4 stars. Not great but not terrible.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Robin wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No

None

3. Did you move forward in any series? How m..."

You are rocking series progression, Robin! Sorry the reading experience, however, was just average. Maybe next month will be better.

message 4: by Jessika (last edited Sep 01, 2018 11:32AM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes, I finished Dirk Gently in August.

2. Did you start any new series?
Nope!

Yes, I moved forward in the Lunar Chronicles, completing books #3 and #3.5, and I started on #4.

I did enjoy Cress's storyline in book #3.

I completed 11 books, which is FANTASTIC for me! This included a number of short audiobooks, but I'm ok with that!

message 5: by Jonetta (new)

Jessika wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Yes, I finished Dirk Gently in August.

Nope!

..."

Yay!!! Congrats on that reading achievement. And, completing a series, too, is just a cherry on top.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No.

The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter
Girl Meets Duke by Tessa Dare
Bakery Detectives by Stacey Alabaster

The Charles Lenox Mysteries by Charles Finch (3 books)
Kendra Michaels by Iris Johansen (1 book)
The Hathaways by Lisa Kleypas (1 book)

The Tessa Dare was a lot of fun and I am dreading the end of the Charles Lenox series.

I read more series than non-series this past month!

message 7: by Barb (new)

Barb 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Didn't complete any, but got up to date in six, including three of my favorites. Now I only have to wait another year for the *next books in those series :(

*sigh* Yes :( Started five new-to-me series, all because the books filled challenge requirements that weren't working for any of my other books. I'm only planning to continue with two of those, though, so it's not as bad as it could be, I guess. I need to stop joining challenges that ask me to read a book/s by a new-to-me author!

As I've mentioned before, that's my primary goal for 2018, so yes! Including the new releases, I moved forward in 12 series, which makes me very happy :)

Really liked The Guilty Dead, by P.J. Tracy, and Hitting the Books, by Jenn McKinlay, which was no surprise, as those are two of my favorite series. I liked A Taste for Murder, by Claudia Bishop, much more than I thought I would, which is unfortunate, as my library system doesn't carry the series, so I'll have to find it elsewhere.

Another good reading month, and I even finished all of my challenges that ended in August before midnight last night :)

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

I completed one series, Shattered Past by Cecy Robson.

No! Even I’m surprised.

I moved forward in two series:
Gaslight Mystery by Victoria Thompson
Rizzoli & Isles by Tess Gerritsen

I had two books I gave a 5-star rating, Good Luck with That by Kristan Higgins, which was just stunning in nailing the life of women dealing with weight issues, and Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate, which wrecked me emotionally.

I finished 13 books and most were standalone and audiobooks. Not normally a problem but I’m getting behind in my eBooks. However, I’m am LOVING the books I’m reading. Guess I’ll have to figure it out.
Good Luck with That by Kristan Higgins Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Had a surprise end to a series. And a few up to dates

I started 3 and as usual I got up to date in it's well.

I moved forwards in about 8.
Straight guy - Alessandra Hazard
Suncoast society -Tymber Dalton
The Lyon crew -Jordan Silver ( didn't know this was coming. Love novella surprises)
Swamp heads -Esther E Schmidt ( new series and up to date)
World of Kalquor -Tracy St. John
Corrupt Chaos MC - Bink Cummings ( new and up to date)
Sacred Sinners MC -Bink Cummings ( new and up to date)
Wolf Creek - T. J. Klune( long awaited )

As the plan for the month was to move forward in series I managed that. I had a lovely visit with old friends (In. death series ) and so managed to to catch up with a much neglected challenge. And ended it with a book that I've been waiting for year to be publish. Ended up being a solid 4*. Overall nothing stood out but nothing sucked either. Isn't that all one can hope for.

message 10: by Jonetta (new)

Kirsten wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No.

The Good Daughter by [author:Kari..."

Congrats on moving forward in three series and having a good reading experience. I also know how it feels to reach the end of a series you’re really enjoying.

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments Barb wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Didn't complete any, but got up to date in six, including three of my favorites. Now I only have to wait another year for the *ne..."

OH Barb I feel your pain. I've had too many new authors because of challenges and not because of recs. I'm going to make sure next year I'm not so eager to join everything that looks good. Must make sure it's doable

message 12: by Jonetta (new)

Barb wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Didn't complete any, but got up to date in six, including three of my favorites. Now I only have to wait another year for the *ne..."

Wow, you deserve the happy dance, Barb! You nailed every goal category and completed your challenges, not to mention you enjoyed what you read. Great job🎈🎈🎈

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Michelle wrote: "

Had a surprise end to a series. And a few up to dates

2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will yo..."

Lol! I’m not sure exactly how you felt about the month, Michelle, but it looks like you made good progress and enjoyed most of your reading. I’ll consider it a win☺️

message 14: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments 😄glad that came across. I myself am unsure. Let's see.
Happy as I actually managed to read 22 books. Granted some are rereads but that's never stopped me from enjoying them more the second ,3,4 time of reading it.
So so about some of the reads. I'm on the edge of slipping into a slump and nothing is getting me giddy. I'm reading but that's it. Just reading.

Hopefully I'll be able to stop a full blown slump.

message 15: by Barb (last edited Sep 01, 2018 12:59PM) (new)

Barb Michelle wrote: "I've had too many new authors because of challenges and not because of recs. I'm going to make sure next year I'm not so eager to join everything that looks good."

Unfortunately, I've committed to several challenges that require a LOT of series #1 books. Fortunately, they also ask for higher numbered series books, so that should balance out over the long run, right?

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments Sound like it should. :-)

message 17: by Jonetta (new)

Michelle wrote: "😄glad that came across. I myself am unsure. Let's see.
Happy as I actually managed to read 22 books. Granted some are rereads but that's never stopped me from enjoying them more the second ,3,4 ti..."

Have you tried audiobooks? They’ve gotten me out of my slump.

Are you still traveling a lot?

message 18: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Jonetta wrote: "Michelle wrote: "😄glad that came across. I myself am unsure. Let's see.
Happy as I actually managed to read 22 books. Granted some are rereads but that's never stopped me from enjoying them more t..."

I love audiobooks. Especially with a great narrator like Susan Ericksen (In Death) or Katy Kellgren (Royal Spyness).

message 19: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissasd) | 1443 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date in 1 series: The School for Good and Evil
Quests for Glory (The School for Good and Evil The Camelot Years #1) by Soman Chainani

No new series

I moved forward in 2 series: Throne of Glass and Sookie Stackhouse
Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas Dead in the Family (Sookie Stackhouse, #10) by Charlaine Harris

I'm really enjoying the Throne of Glass series.

Pretty happy with it. I'm trying to concentrate on making my goals for the year.

message 20: by Jonetta (new)

Great job, Melissa! You’re doing really well this year. And, you seem to be enjoying your reads.

I’ve gotten miserably behind in the Throne of Glass series. Trying to catch up this month.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments Jonetta wrote: "Michelle wrote: "😄glad that came across. I myself am unsure. Let's see.
Happy as I actually managed to read 22 books. Granted some are rereads but that's never stopped me from enjoying them more t..."

I don't travel any more. And yes I've tried audiobooks. I love Susan Erikssen . I usually do audio books when I'm busy with a project but haven't knitted in ages. But thank you. I'll look out for more audiobooks.

message 22: by Michelle (last edited Sep 02, 2018 10:10AM) (new)

Michelle | 2549 comments Melissa wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I got up to date in 1 series: The School for Good and Evil
Quests for Glory (The School for Good and Evil The Camelot Years #1) by Soman Chainani

2. Did you start any new series..."

Catching up in challenges and goals a few months back. I hate how I get to October,November and I'm rushing to fulfill them. But then I'm also trying not to stress to much if I don't complete some.

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 4523 comments Mod
Robin wrote: "All of my books, except the Catherine Bybee book, were between 3 and 4 stars. Not great but not terrible.."

Hope you have better experiences in September!

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Jessika wrote: "1. I completed 11 books, which is FANTASTIC for me! This included a number of short audiobooks, but I'm ok with that! "

Brilliant Jessika! So glad you had a great month.

message 25: by Lauren (new)

Kirsten wrote: "The Tessa Dare was a lot of fun and I am dreading the end of the Charles Lenox series.."

Yes she is!
Glad you have a great month!

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Barb wrote: "Another good reading month, and I even finished all of my challenges that ended in August before midnight last night :)
"

Right under the wire! Well done!

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Jonetta wrote: "2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue?
No! Even I’m surprised. "

I'm surprised too, Jonetta! Lol!

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Michelle wrote: "
Overall nothing stood out but nothing sucked either. Isn't that all one can hope for.

Well.... we can all hope for only 5 star reads ;)

message 29: by Lauren (new)

Melissa wrote: "Pretty happy with it. I'm trying to concentrate on making my goals for the year. "

That's a great idea. I need to remember what my goals were....

message 30: by Lauren (new)

1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Nope

Nope, so it balances out :)

Yes, 8
Salvation in Death (In Death, #27) by J.D. Robb Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9) by Jennifer Estep Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas True Love and Other Disasters (Chinooks Hockey Team, #4) by Rachel Gibson Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8) by Victoria Thompson Obsession Falls (Virtue Falls #2) by Christina Dodd Twisted (LOST, #2) by Cynthia Eden A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10) by Kim Harrison

Queen of Shadows is fantastic. This series is getting better and better.

5. Overall summary of your reading month? I read fewer books this month - 8. I went on a cruise for a week to Rhodes and Crete which was amazing but didn't leave me much reading time and my brother and sister-in-law came to visit for two weeks so I was running about with them as well. Hoping September will be more accommodating :)

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

Lauren wrote: "I'm surprised too, Jonetta! Lol!"

I know, right?

message 32: by Jonetta (new)

Lauren wrote: "1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month? Nope

Nope, so it balances out :)

3. Did you move fo..."

You might not have read many books but that vacation sounds wonderful!! And, all eight books were series titles...that’s great!

message 33: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 1211 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I did, I finished two series: I read Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare and Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins.
Looking at my books I also read 84 Charing Cross Road & The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street so that is another series finished (and started). And I read De bruiloft by Nicholas Sparks the sequel to the notebook, so I finished 4 series :D

I started one new series, but it is only two books so I hope to finish it this month :)
And I reread Temeraire by Naomi Novik, so I can continue the series.

Yes bedides the books already mentione I also read: Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas (and started Queen of Shadows).

I really enjoyed Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

A good month I read more books then I thought when I looked back during the month (12 books). I didn't enjoy all the books as much as I had hoped, but also read some very good books.
And I finished a lot of series :)

Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3) by Stephanie Perkins 84 Charing Cross Road & The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff De bruiloft by Nicholas Sparks Temeraire (Temeraire, #1) by Naomi Novik Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass, #3) by Sarah J. Maas Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

message 34: by ~ Giulia ~ (new)

~ Giulia ~ | 104 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
No :(

The Cuckoo's Calling - Won't continue

I moved forward in 4 series:
Inkspell
Runemarks
One Good Dragon Deserves Another
Murder in Little Italy

No 5 stars, but the Heartstrikers books continue to pleasantly surprise me

Not a bad month :)

message 35: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 1631 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?

Nope. :-)

I started two new series but won't be continuing with either of them.

I moved forward in six series, which is a new record for me.

The River of Souls (Matthew Corbett, #5) by Robert R. McCammon The Wounded Hawk (The Crucible, #2) by Sara Douglass Hook, Line and Blinker (Miss Fortune Mystery #10) by Jana Deleon Evil Games (D.I. Kim Stone, #2) by Angela Marsons Midnight Tides (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5) by Steven Erikson Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2) by Kate Elliott

I had one five star read in August, Midnight Tides (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5) by Steven Erikson - full of layered world building and memorable characters.

I also had several four star reads so it was a good month all around.

message 36: by Laura (new)

Laura | 2344 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
I completed 3 series
Killer Instincts by Elle Kennedy
Manwhore by Katy Evans
Mackenzie Family by Linda Howard
I got up to date on 1 The Donnigans by Marie Harte
2. Did you start any new series? If so, what were they? Will you continue? 5
Black Ice (Ice, #1) by Anne Stuart Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1) by Sarah MacLean Hot Asset (21 Wall Street, #1) by Lauren Layne Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1) by J.T. Geissinger Tattered (Lark Cove, #1) by Devney Perry
I will continue all of them
3. Did you move forward in any series? How many?5
Legend (Real, #6) by Katy Evans Soul Deep (I-Team, #6.5) by Pamela Clare Shades of Gray (KGI, #6) by Maya Banks Stroked Long (Stroked, #2) by Meghan Quinn Cold As Ice (Ice, #2) by Anne Stuart Ice Blue (Ice, #3) by Anne Stuart
Midnight Action (Killer Instincts, #5) by Elle Kennedy Midnight Revenge (Killer Instincts, #7) by Elle Kennedy Midnight Target (Killer Instincts, #8) by Elle Kennedy This easily is my favorite romantic suspense series I've read so far. Non stop action, unique characters, believable hotness.
Black Ice (Ice, #1) by Anne Stuart I am into the "anti-hero" right now.
Stroked Long (Stroked, #2) by Meghan Quinn This is about an olympic champion swimmer battling mental illness and the girl trying to help heal him. I loved it.
Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1) by J.T. Geissinger quirky heroine who brings a bastard hero to his knees. Hilarious

I loved what I read. I concentrated on some favorite series and did alot of binging-Killer Instincts, KGI, Mackenzies, Ice series, Real series. Read 4 standalones, 23 books total.

message 37: by Christina T (last edited Sep 07, 2018 07:38PM) (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 558 comments 1. Did you complete and/or get up to date in any series this month?
Nope
Yes the Lucy Kincaid series by Allison Brennan. I did enjoy it but realize there is a trilogy that falls before the Lucy Kincaid books that I think I'll read first. So this one is on the shelf for now.

yes 4 All but one being group reads
Murder on Lenox Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #7) by Victoria Thompson Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6) by Tess Gerritsen Shattered (Max Revere, #4) by Allison Brennan

Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas love the world building and the complexity of Celaena/Aelin's character. Also I rated Murder on Lenox Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #7) by Victoria Thompson 4.5 stars. This series continues to catch my attention in such a positive way.

5. Overall summary of your reading month? I read 6 books this month which is not as good as I was doing when I was off work from surgery but twice as much as I was reading prior to surgery so I'm satisfied with it.

message 38: by Christina T (new)

Christina T (crysteena73) | 558 comments Lieke wrote: "I really enjoyed Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell."

I have had this in my TBR forever and have heard nothing but good things about it. I should put it on monthly plan soon.