Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > November 2018 Short Story/Novella Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5126 comments Mod
November 2018 Short Story/Novella group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Short Story Book Shelf

In addition to the books currently on our Short Story Book Shelf these Short Story/Novellas from our group's book shelf are also ineligible for nomination.

A Christmas Carol
Alice in Wonderland
The Canterville Ghost
The Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Secret Sharer
The Time Machine
Turn of the Screw

2. Only books up to 130 pages maximum are eligible for nomination. If a story slightly exceeds this number of pages the moderator will decide if the story will pass through to the poll, (probably a coin toss)

3. A story's size will be determined by using the Goodreads default edition. If a larger number of editions listed indicate the story has more pages than the default edition, it may be ruled ineligible. If the story has no Goodreads edition and is a part of a larger collection, please identify the collection title and indicate the number of pages applied to the story you are nominating.

4. Only stories/books that were published before 1999 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

5. When making a nomination, please use "add book/author" link to help moderators and others view the book selected.

6. Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to the poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

7. Only one nomination or one second per member will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

7a. A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier for the moderator to track changes.

8. Only one book per author, In the event that more than one book by the same author is nominated, the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

8a. Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

Nominations will run from today thru the 14th. Polls will open on the 16th and run till the end of the month

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1857 comments Nominating a Chess Story.

message 3: by Marilyn (last edited Sep 03, 2018 03:56PM) (new)

Marilyn | 804 comments I nominate The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster. Published in 1909.

"The story has proved to be far ahead of its time, with remarkably accurate predictions of modern technologies, and paints a chilling picture of over-dependence on them."

message 4: by Brina (new)

Brina I'm going to try again and nominate Pedro Paramo by Juan Rulfo.

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Cline I nominate Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott. It got a lot of seconds last time but was edged out in the final voting. Maybe this month it will succeed.

message 6: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma I’ll second Chess Story

message 7: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments I'd like to nominate Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead. Might be fun to read after finishing Hamlet.

message 8: by Bárbara (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 141 comments Brina wrote: "I'm going to try again and nominate Pedro Paramo by Juan Rulfo."
We're together in this ;) seconding!

message 9: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you, Barbara. Holding out hope that it might win :)

message 10: by Irma (new)

Irma Tove I second Pedro Paramo!

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3421 comments I'll second Chess Story

message 13: by Pillsonista (new)

Pillsonista | 380 comments Another vote for Chess Story

message 14: by Izunia (new)

Izunia | 32 comments I want to second Chess Story

message 15: by Dave (new)

Dave (adh3) | 781 comments I second The Chess Story

message 16: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 50 comments I second Flatland.

message 17: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments Loretta wrote: "I second Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead"

Thanks Loretta :)

message 18: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5126 comments Mod
No criticism just an observation but are we in a slump? Has anyone else noticed that we seem to be repeating the same nominations over and over again.

message 19: by Brina (new)

Brina I am wondering Bob if it is because everyone would like to see all of these read but there is only one a month. So by nominating other stories it is risking not reading one of these. Once all of these 5-6 are read, there will most likely be other choices

message 20: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1580 comments I will second Chess Story as well.

message 21: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3421 comments Bob wrote: "No criticism just an observation but are we in a slump? Has anyone else noticed that we seem to be repeating the same nominations over and over again."

I don't think it's a slump. I'd call it determination.

message 22: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 2018 comments I nominate The Willows by Algernon Blackwood

message 23: by J_BlueFlower (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1857 comments Bob wrote: "[...] are we in a slump?"

I am guilty here. I think that both Chess Story and Flatland should be on our shelf, and I do not mind nominating and voting for them so long as they have a chance.

message 24: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 804 comments Bob wrote: "No criticism just an observation but are we in a slump? Has anyone else noticed that we seem to be repeating the same nominations over and over again."

Also an observation and not a criticism - With the new nominating rules, the number of nominations has been steadily dropping. In April there were 14. In September there were 7. When the same 3 or 4 stories are nominated every month it is more noticeable.

message 25: by Michele (last edited Sep 03, 2018 02:04PM) (new)

Michele (micheleevansito) | 185 comments I'd like to nominate The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell

message 26: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma I agree. There are certain books I’d like to see on our shelves. Or that I really want to read with the group. We are a persistent bunch!

message 27: by Angie (new)

Angie | 604 comments Darren wrote: "I nominate The Willows by Algernon Blackwood"

I will second this.

message 28: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments I know Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead has been nominated a few times, but I only nominated it because I thought it would be fun to read after Hamlet. Don't remember the last time it was nominated though.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments I will 2nd FLATLAND, please. --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 30: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (adeczka13) | 55 comments I nominate The Witness for the Prosecution by Agatha Christie

message 31: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5126 comments Mod
Ada wrote: "I nominate The Witness for the Prosecution by Agatha Christie"

Ada, I’m sorry as much as I would like to see some nomination diversity, this choice is not eligible because of page count. Most editions listed are 192 pages and only one edition fit our requirements at 96 pages.

message 32: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 2018 comments Angie wrote: "Darren wrote: "I nominate The Willows by Algernon Blackwood"

I will second this."

Thanks Angie! :o)

nothing like a bit of gothic fantasy/horror as the nights draw in...
The Willows by Algernon Blackwood

message 33: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1580 comments I will second The Willows as well.

message 34: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5126 comments Mod
Rosemarie, you will have to withdraw your first seconding of Chess Story before I can accept your second of The Willows. Only one second per member.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 577 comments Bob wrote: "Ada wrote: "I nominate The Witness for the Prosecution by Agatha Christie"

Ada, I’m sorry as much as I would like to see some nomination diversity, this choice is not eligible because of page cou..."

Most editions are short story collections with several other stories included. The actual short story "Witness for the Prosecution" is only 40-50 pages if I recall. I read it just about 3-4 years ago.

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5126 comments Mod
Randy wrote: "Bob wrote: "Ada wrote: "I nominate The Witness for the Prosecution by Agatha Christie"

Ada, I’m sorry as much as I would like to see some nomination diversity, this choice is not eligible because..."

This link works for the proper size, I don't know how readily available it is- https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

message 37: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Sep 07, 2018 02:32PM) (new)

Bob | 5126 comments Mod
With four days of nominating finished here is where we stand.

Chess Story by Stefan Zweig, 104 pages, 1941
J_blueFlower - BAM, Sue, Pillsonista, Izuna, Dave, Rosemarie, (6)
Has been on 12 past polls

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions by Edwin A. Abbott, 96 pages, 1884
Vicki - Irma, Chrissy, Jen from Q, Petrichor, (4)
Has been on 8 past polls

The Witness for the Prosecution & Other Stories by Agatha Christie, 40-70+-, 1948
Ada - Sarah, Catriona, (2)
New nomination, never been polled.

The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County by Mark Twain, 5-10+- pages, 1865
Katy - Milena, Pam, (2)

Pedro Páramo by Juan Rulfo, 128 pages, 1955
Brins - Barbara, (1)
Has been on 6 past polls

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard, 126 pages, 1966
Renee - Loretta, (1)
Has been on 4 past polls

The Willows by Algernon Blackwood, 105 pages, 1907
Darren - Angie, (1)
Has been on 1 past poll

The Thanksgiving Visitor by Truman Capote, 37 pages, 1967
Shirley - Kelly, (1)

The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster, 48 pages, 1906
Marilyn -
Has been on 2 past polls

The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell, 48 pages, 1924
Michele -
Has been on 6 past polls

message 38: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9893 comments Mod
Bravo Ada! A new nomination. Just the thing we need to put some spice into this category. You have given me the push needed to nominate something that hasn't been nominated (at least not lately).

I'll nominate The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County by Mark Twain.

This link goes to the book that has several short stories in it. But the title story is only 19 pages in my copy and is available widely free online to read also.

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments Katy wrote: "Bravo Ada! A new nomination. Just the thing we need to put some spice into this category. You have given me the push needed to nominate something that hasn't been nominated (at least not lately).

..."

I’ll second this.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments NO NO NO! AHHH!

Gotta check/change/fix the post that shows the total noms/seconds, as there is an error...

In msg 29, I 2nd 'FLATLAND', *BUT* I am listed as having seconded 'Chess Story', which I did not...

I am for FLATLAND all the way! Thanks. --Jen from Quebec :0)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I’d like to second, The Witness for the Prosecution, please. This has been made into a mini-series so it must be a good mystery.

I like that something new has been nominated - I do want to read some of the reoccurring noms but it was getting a bit predictable. I was hesitant to nominate anything myself as I thought it unlikely to get seconded, so thanks for this Ada.

message 42: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Has chess story or any of those other been buddy reads? Maybe we should just do that

message 43: by Milena (new)

Milena | 257 comments I'll second Katy's nomination

message 44: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 5126 comments Mod
Message 37 updated

message 45: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9893 comments Mod
BAM wrote: "Has chess story or any of those other been buddy reads? Maybe we should just do that"

Good idea!

message 46: by Petrichor (new)

Petrichor | 300 comments I'd also be up for a Buddy read of Chess Story, but for now I'll second Flatland.

I've read both of them already and both made it onto my quite selective favorites shelf. They are both mind bending in very different ways and offer plenty to discuss.

Shirley (stampartiste) | 846 comments Seeing as November is Thanksgiving month here in the U.S., I would like to nominate Truman Capote's 37-page short story, The Thanksgiving Visitor. It is usually included with two other short stories in the 107-page book A Christmas Memory, One Christmas, & The Thanksgiving Visitor. I read these years ago, and it was my first introduction to Truman Capote. I would love to read them again with the group. Thank you!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments Shirley (stampartiste) wrote: "Seeing as November is Thanksgiving month here in the U.S., I would like to nominate Truman Capote's 37-page short story, The Thanksgiving Visitor. It is usually included with two othe..."

I will second The Thanksgiving Visitor.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll second "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County" by Mark Twain because it's MARK TWAIN!! :)

message 50: by Bob, Short Story Classics (last edited Sep 07, 2018 02:34PM) (new)

Bob | 5126 comments Mod
Updated, 10 nominations is pretty good, but only 28 members have either nominated or seconded. I promise it doesn't hurt.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.