Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Light in August
This topic is about Light in August
William Faulkner Collection > Light in August - NO spoilers

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2383 comments This thread is for background information and general discussion of our September 2018 New School Group Read selection, Light in August by William Faulkner.

Please DO NOT post spoilers in this thread.

message 2: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt (mmullerm) | 885 comments I plan to start Light in August this weekend. I read The Sound and the Fury last year and loved it.

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I started this afternoon.

Terris | 2879 comments I just started Light in August. I also read The Sound and the Fury last year and hated it. However -- I am really enjoying Light in August so far!! I'm pleasantly surprised and so relieved :)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments One of the great pleasures of reading Faulkner is his use of adjectives(some I think just invented by him) to describe the scene. An example is the country store porch, with the group of squatting men, which he describes as heelgnawed. Such a perfect description.

message 6: by Pillsonista (new)

Pillsonista | 380 comments OMG I love this book.

My absolute favorite novel of Faulkner's, even more than The Sound and the Fury, which was the first Faulkner I'd ever read.

Damn, first The Magic Mountain, now Light in August. I'm going to have to take a sabbatical from my current title just to focus on group/buddy reads. Couldn't hope for a better "problem" to have.

Bobbie | 101 comments I can't say this is my favorite but I certainly did enjoy it. The Sound and the Fury I had a hard time with but my son loves it and teaches it fairly often. I especially like Absalom, Absalom and the Snopes Trilogy. The trilogy was my first Faulkner and I just loved those books because it reminded me of so many expressions of my mother's that I had forgotten. I lived in MS as a child and my grandfather lived about 20 miles from Oxford, Faulkner's home, so I have been gradually making my way through his works for about the last 30 odd years. I was so glad we read Light in August because it was one that I hadn't gotten to yet.

Terris | 2879 comments I am SO happy!! I was not looking forward to this book at all and now I can hardly put it down!! I did not like the other Faulkner books that I had read and thought that I didn't like his writing. I guess I just hadn't read the right book yet! I am so pleased :)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2058 comments It was not what I expected either...I thought Faulkner was unreadable... Maybe I was lucky with my first Faulkner then .. 🙂

message 10: by Bobbie (last edited Sep 09, 2018 12:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bobbie | 101 comments I think a lot of people avoid him because they hear he is so difficult and actually a lot of his are very difficult but you have to find the right books. I like The Unvanquished and also The Reivers, both are quite humorous which was a great surprise to me. The first time one of his books made me laugh, I thought, "This is Faulkner?"

Terris | 2879 comments Bobbie wrote: "I think a lot of people avoid him because they hear he is so difficult and actually a lot of his is very difficult but you have to find the right books. I like The Unvanquished and also The Reivers..."

I'm so glad to know that! I have not even heard of those two books. I will definitely look them up, especially if they're funny! ;)

message 12: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - added it

Bob | 5130 comments Mod
Well message #2 and #4 are polar opposites. Me, I fall in the middle, with a slight edge toward the negative. After reading the Sound and the Fury I swore I would leave Faulkner on the shelf. Yet after reading the short story A Rose for Emily, I found myself on the fence, should I try reading another book by Faulkner?

If I hopped off the fence of indecision and try reading another Faulkner book, I had planned to read The Reivers, this would kill two birds at the same time. I would try Faulkner again and read the Pulitzer Prize winner for 1963. Last night I went to the library to pick up the copy of Cold Comfort Farm, they were having a book sale. My time was limited to just a few extra minutes, but who can pass up a book sale?

I stopped and asked if they had any classics already set aside and they said what was left was in a box against the wall. You guessed it, a copy in good shape, of Light in August was on top. So for a dollar I now have to decide, is my next Faulkner read going to be Light in August, or do I wait and hold out till I run across a copy of The Reivers?

Decisions, decisions.

Terris | 2879 comments Bob wrote: "Well message #2 and #4 are polar opposites. Me, I fall in the middle, with a slight edge toward the negative. After reading the Sound and the Fury I swore I would leave Faulkner on the shelf. Yet a..."

Haha! You should go for Light in August! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm going for The Reivers soon. I thought I didn't like Faulkner but I may be changing my opinion -- we'll see :)

Carlo | 206 comments I was a bit apprehensive before starting but I enjoyed it. It was an interesting read with some strong characters. Very descriptive writing which brought the scenes to life and he didn’t pull any punches when dealing with some of the brutal aspects of life.

message 15: by Liza (new)

Liza Tishchenko (thames_nocturne) | 27 comments Not currently reading along, but decided to jump in here and see what everyone thinks. LIA isn't my favourite Faulkner (I absolutely adore The Sound and the Fury & Absalom, Absalom!), but all of your comments are making me want to re-read it!

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments How do you ppl read it when the characters say "SHO" (and they do often!) So you read it as "Sure"?? As "For Sure"? Something else?? --Jen from Quebec :0)

Terris | 2879 comments Jen from Quebec :0) wrote: "How do you ppl read it when the characters say "SHO" (and they do often!) So you read it as "Sure"?? As "For Sure"? Something else?? --Jen from Quebec :0)"

I take it as "Sure." :)

message 18: by Pillsonista (new)

Pillsonista | 380 comments Jen from Quebec :0) wrote: "How do you ppl read it when the characters say "SHO" (and they do often!) So you read it as "Sure"?? As "For Sure"? Something else?? --Jen from Quebec :0)"

Terris wrote: "I take it as "Sure." :)"

Yep. Definitely 'sure'.

message 19: by Matt (new) - added it

Matt (mmullerm) | 885 comments In Memphis there is a place (or used to be a place) called Sho’ ‘Nuff BBQ. Sho is pretty easy - you should hear Cajuns talk - (folks usually from south Louisiana/New Orleans area) - it’s like another language!

message 20: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2383 comments We've got about a week left in the group read. Is anyone else joining in?

Sadly, Faulkner is one of those authors I have bad experiences with, so I won't be reading this one myself.

message 21: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen | 37 comments I was really hoping to but it's just not gonna happen for me this month.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments I am IN no matter what...I've come too far, lol. I am almost 33% into it or so. I have a lot to say, but waiting for a more natural 'pause point' before I pause the Audible. --Jen from Quebec :0)

Kaylee (kaylee66) | 50 comments I'm at 37%. It's been going much slower than I expected, because I am having trouble understanding parts of it. I'm still going to try to finish it by the end of the month, though.