Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > November 2018 New School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2383 comments November 2018 New School group read nominations are now open! Please review the requirements below for book eligibility.

Please take note of the nomination rules!

1.) Books that have already been featured as group reads are not eligible for nomination. Bookshelf

2.) Eligible publication dates for books are 1900-1999.

3.) Only five books, by five different authors will move forward to each poll. This will be determined by the number of seconds a book receives. The five books with the most seconds moves to the poll.

4.) Only one nomination or one second per member. will be allowed. A nomination can be changed only until it has been seconded. Once seconded, in fairness to the member making the second, the nomination will stand.

4a.) A second can be withdrawn and placed on another choice. This change must in some way be noted in a post such as, "I am withdrawing my second for book A and placing it on book B." It will be easier to moderator to track changes.

5.) Only one book per author, In the event of more than one book by the same author is nominated, only the first one to receive a second will be eligible. The nominator of the ruled ineligible book will be able to nominate a replacement or second another already in nomination.

5a.) Same author-multiple categories The same author may be nominated in multiple categories in a single month as long as the nominations are for different books. In the case of identical nominations, precedence will go to the first one to receive a second.

6.) Nominations will remain open until the 14th of the month. Polls will open on the 16th and run until the last day of the month.

message 2: by J_BlueFlower (last edited Sep 01, 2018 06:33AM) (new)

J_BlueFlower (j_from_denmark) | 1844 comments I would like to nominate Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, first published March 1966, 216 pages.

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3392 comments I would like to nominate Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh I've read 2 of his books so far and love his writing.

message 4: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 803 comments I nominate Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. Published in 1961.

message 5: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (last edited Sep 03, 2018 06:57AM) (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3622 comments Mod
I would like to nominate Brighton Rock by Graham Greene. 1938. 269 pages in the Vintage Classics paperback. (It would also fill Crime or Mystery Novel in Bingo!)

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 62 comments I would like to nominate As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner published in 1930

message 7: by Brina (new)

Brina I would like to nominate The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

message 8: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma I nominate The Good Earth

message 9: by Bárbara (last edited Sep 03, 2018 03:18AM) (new)

Bárbara (leviathan_) | 141 comments Jess wrote: "I would like to nominate As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner published in 1930"
Seconding!

message 10: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 2008 comments I nominate the The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler

message 11: by Izunia (new)

Izunia | 32 comments I want to second The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter. I bought the book a few weeks ago and need a push to start reading it :)

message 12: by Dave (new)

Dave (adh3) | 779 comments I second The Good Earth

message 13: by Brina (new)

Brina Izunia sounds great. Thank you.

message 14: by BAM the enigma (new)

BAM the enigma Dave wrote: "I second The Good Earth"

Thanks Dave

message 16: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2848 comments I second Brighton Rock :)

message 17: by CluckingBell (new)

CluckingBell | 25 comments Seconded!

Sarah wrote: "I nominate All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren."

message 18: by Adrianna (new)

Adrianna (adeczka13) | 55 comments I nominate The Shell Seekers by R. Pilcher

message 19: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments Darren wrote: "I nominate the The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler"

I will second this.

message 20: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 325 comments Ada wrote: "I nominate The Shell Seekers by R. Pilcher"

I will second.

message 21: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 2008 comments Janet wrote: "Darren wrote: "I nominate the The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler"

I will second this."

Thanks Janet! :o)

I see this on a lot of "Top 100" lists
although Samuel Butler wrote it in the 1870's he didn't dare publish it during his lifetime!
The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler

message 22: by Sarah (new)

message 23: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 183 comments CluckingBell wrote: "Seconded!

Sarah wrote: "I nominate All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren.""

Seconded no. 2 (thirded?)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Brina wrote: "I would like to nominate The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers"

I offer my second for this one!

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 30 comments I'd like to nominate Hubert Selby's Last Exit to Brooklyn.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 577 comments J_BlueFlower wrote: "I would like to nominate Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, first published March 1966, 216 pages."

second that

message 27: by Alissa (new)

message 28: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4182 comments These are some good choices. But I'm going to throw out another one, just in case anyone is interested.

I nominate Lucy Gayheart by Willa Cather. 1935, only 208 pages.

It looks like we don't have any Willa Cather books on our group shelf, which surprised me. I haven't read her yet, and this one is lesser known, but looks good, plus it's short, a plus for anyone like me who is trying her for the first time. :-)

message 29: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 799 comments I adore Willa Cather, so I will second Lucy Gayheart

message 30: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Terris wrote: "I second Brighton Rock :)"

Thanks Terris. We're a lonely group this time.

message 31: by Julie (new)

Julie | 649 comments Sarah wrote: "I nominate All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren."

I 2nd this :)

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 273 comments CluckingBell wrote: "Seconded!

Sarah wrote: "I nominate All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren.""

I will put my second on this one as I have had it on Audible for ages.

message 33: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4182 comments Candi wrote: "I adore Willa Cather, so I will second Lucy Gayheart"

Thanks, Candi!

message 35: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Third for Lucy Gayheart by Willa Cather.

Shirley (stampartiste) | 846 comments I would also like to add another second to All the King's Men. It's on my 2018 Bingo Challenge (Literary prize of your country - 1947 Pulitzer Prize), and I would love to read it with the group!

message 37: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

I will withdraw my Brighton Rock and switch to All the King's Men.

message 38: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2848 comments Helen wrote: "I will withdraw my Brighton Rock and switch to All the King's Men."

Helen! I thought we were in on Brighton Rock together!! Haha! ;)
No problem, I have already read All the King's Men and I think you'll really enjoy it! I'll probably read Brighton Rock anyway :)

message 39: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1217 comments I'll second The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter. I have it on a couple of my challenge lists this year, so maybe this would give me a push to get it read!

message 40: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 4182 comments Loretta wrote: "Third for Lucy Gayheart by Willa Cather."

Thanks Loretta. :-)

message 41: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3392 comments Since my nomination for Decline and Fall is going nowhere, I withdraw and second Flowers for Algernon

message 42: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2670 comments Kathleen wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Third for Lucy Gayheart by Willa Cather."

Thanks Loretta. :-)"

My pleasure Kathleen! 😊

message 43: by Michael (new)

Michael (myerstyson) If I'm following, I think I can second Brighton Rock.

message 44: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2383 comments Helen wrote: "I will withdraw my Brighton Rock and switch to All the King's Men."

I'm a bit behind on group stuff, so I'm only seeing this now, but just as a reminder you can't withdraw your nomination if you still have seconds...

Terris (at the time) was still seconding it, and Michael just added a second to this too.

I'm going to be a dictator and reject your change of nomination for now since Michael's vote puts Graham Greene in the running to make it onto the poll and All the King's Men already has plenty of seconds.

message 45: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 2383 comments Here's our summary so far, assuming that neither Terris or Helen changed their nomination.

All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren, 1946, 439 pages - Sarah
5 Seconds: Clucking Bell, Christopher, Julie, Kelly, Shirley

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers, 1940, 368 pages - Brina
5 Seconds: Izunia, Sarah #2, Pam, Kimberly, Christine

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, 1966, 216 pages.- J_BlueFlower
3 Seconds: Randy, Alissa, Sue

Brighton Rock by Graham Greene, 1938, 269 - Helen
2 Seconds: Terris, Michael

Lucy Gayheart by Willa Cather, 1935, 208 pages - Kathleen
2 Seconds: Candi, Loretta

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner, 1930, 288 pages - Jess
1 Seconds: Bárbara

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, 1931, 418 pages - BAM
1 Seconds: Dave

The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher, 1987, 550 pages - Ada
1 Seconds: Nathalie

The Way of All Flesh by Samuel Butler, 1903, 315 pages - Darren
1 Seconds: Janet

Last Exit to Brooklyn by Hubert Selby Jr., 1968, 290 pages - Rachel

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates, 1961, 355 pages- Marilyn

message 46: by Aprilleigh (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 576 comments I'll second Flowers for Algernon - I know I read it and enjoyed it in school at some point (don't remember if it was assigned or I picked it up on my own), but I'm definitely down for reading it again.

message 47: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Terris wrote: "Helen wrote: "I will withdraw my Brighton Rock and switch to All the King's Men."

Helen! I thought we were in on Brighton Rock together!! Haha! ;)
No problem, I have alrea..."

Brighton Rock is probably in my future, but I think the writing on the wall was against us this month!

message 48: by katie (new)

katie | 73 comments I second The Good Earth, been wanting to read that for a long time!

message 49: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

The interesting thing about Flowers For Algernon is that it began as a short story, and the author later expanded it to a full book. Many people read the short story in school. (I have a ninth grade literature book that contains the short story.)

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I second Lucy Gayheart.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.