You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

22 Britannia Road
This topic is about 22 Britannia Road
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > September 2018 - 22 Britannia Road

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments One of the group reads for September is 22 Britannia Road by Amanda Hodgkinson. Please discuss the book in this thread.

Peggy will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during September 2018.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions. See our spoiler policy
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments I had this book on my shelf for years, I bought it for almost nothing at a book fair some years ago. Great that it will finally be moved away from my shelf with books I still need to read. Let's create some room for new books ;-)

It might be a few days before I start this though. Right now I don't feel in the mood for a HF war book.

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments I started this yesterday. I’ve been reading a lot of books recently with a WWII setting, and I’m hoping this story focuses more on post-war events. There are no chapter numbers; I am on page 63 of my edition, chapter titled Poland, ending, “The sooner he left for Warsaw, he decided, the better.”

(view spoiler)

So far, there are more questions than answers, which will keep me reading,

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Are all the chapters named differently?

message 5: by Sandra, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sandra (sanlema) | 9802 comments I didn't start it yet, but I am looking at the table of contents and beside a couple of exceptions, all the around 50 chapters are called "Poland", "Ipswich" or "Felixstowe".

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Ugh, can't authors keep book discussions in mind when they set up their chapters? ;-)

message 7: by Sandra, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sandra (sanlema) | 9802 comments :) I guess we need to find a system to avoid spoilers and still keep the discussion going.

message 8: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Mine doesn't even have a table of contents. Maybe it will work to name the chapter title and also the % you've read (so paper readers need to calculate this), and make sure to read spoilers when you're a few % further than what the spoiler is about.

We did it with percentages in another read recently and it's not perfect, but works.

message 9: by Sandra, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sandra (sanlema) | 9802 comments Yes, I remember we did it for Sarah's Key buddy read and it worked.

message 10: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51924 comments I'll be reading the audiobook version so this ought to be fun. Kindle or ebook would be the easiest because they have percentages. Oh well, it will all work out.

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments I just checked TrudyAn, and your scene on page 63 is page 78 for me.

I'm 12% done (page 48). Just finished the Ipswich chapter that ends with 'when Aurek doesn't need me'.

Can't read your spoiler yet, but lots of questions indeed! (view spoiler)

message 12: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments TrudyAn wrote: "I started this yesterday. I’ve been reading a lot of books recently with a WWII setting, and I’m hoping this story focuses more on post-war events. There are no chapter numbers; I am on page 63 of ..."

We had the same thoughts TrudyAn. I like that so far war-chapters are mixed with post-war-chapters. I don't think I've read many books that focus on the period right after the war.

I'm 26% done now. (view spoiler)

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51924 comments I listened to 3 hours of the audiobook today, so I estimate I'm at 20%.

I find this book to have an interesting approach. It focuses on the aftermath of WWII, and goes back in time to fill in the story.

It seems to me that Janusz (view spoiler)

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51924 comments Peggy, it seems like you and I have (view spoiler)

message 15: by Sandra, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sandra (sanlema) | 9802 comments I am dying to start this one right now! I only have a few pages left on my current reading, so I hope to join you soon.
I won't read spoilers now, of course, but I am glad to see in general you are all having a positive impression of the book.

message 16: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Janice wrote: "I listened to 3 hours of the audiobook today, so I estimate I'm at 20%.

I find this book to have an interesting approach. It focuses on the aftermath of WWII, and goes back in time to fill in the ..."

Regarding Janusz, (view spoiler)

message 17: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Janice wrote: "Peggy, it seems like you and I have different affinities...."

(view spoiler)

However, I have now read a bit more (42%) and (view spoiler)

message 18: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Janice wrote: "Peggy, it seems like you and I have different affinities. "

Regarding Aurek: (view spoiler)

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51924 comments Peggy wrote: "Janice wrote: "Peggy, it seems like you and I have different affinities. "

Regarding Aurek: [spoilers removed]"

I thought that was a pivotal moment for her, and was going to mention it in my comments.

I'll come back to read your 42% spoiler once I've caught up.

message 20: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments 50%: (view spoiler)

message 21: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments How are you doing with the book TrudyAn?

message 22: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Sandra wrote: "I am dying to start this one right now! I only have a few pages left on my current reading, so I hope to join you soon.
I won't read spoilers now, of course, but I am glad to see in general you are..."

Yes, I'm enjoying it. It's a pretty fast read and it's keeping me interested. Curious to hear your thoughts on it :)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments Peggy wrote: "How are you doing with the book TrudyAn?"

I finished the book. I have read the spoilers above and had many of the same thoughts. Throughout the story, my opinions of Silvana and Janusz wavered back and forth. (view spoiler)

Six years apart is a long time, and I think the writer clearly demonstrated how challenging it would be to try to reconstruct a relationship and to reintegrate into society following war.

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51924 comments Six years apart would be a difficult hurdle in the best of times. Adding the dynamics of war, it would be even greater.

I didn't get much of a chance to read today, so will have to leave spoilers for a bit.

message 25: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 2489 comments I’m just starting now, but from the snippets I’ve seen on the thread I’m looking forward to catching up

message 26: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 2489 comments I just finished the Ipswich chapter that ends with and lets sleep pull her into the darkness of her dreams. 44%
I haven't read all of the spoilers as some are just past me, but am in agreement with much of the thoughts I've seen.
Sylvana (view spoiler)
Janusz (view spoiler)
My husband is in camp 7/7, we communicate almost daily and there are still issues. Trying to reconnect with someone after years with no contact, and all that has happened in between . . .

message 27: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51924 comments I think I'm about 65%.

I'm glad that Aurek (view spoiler)

Janusz - (view spoiler)

Sylvana - (view spoiler)

message 28: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51924 comments I finished the book tonight and gave it 4 stars. Most of the war stories I've read don't deal with the aftermath of the war, especially when it comes to relationships. Although this one had the obligatory flashbacks to their experiences, it focused on the effect of the war on their relationship.

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments I haven't read much of this book this weekend, but I'll pick it up again later or tomorrow.

Glad you gave it 4 stars Janice.

message 30: by Sandra, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sandra (sanlema) | 9802 comments I am in the 12%, and only read Peggy's spoiler in comment 11.
(view spoiler)

message 31: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Janice wrote: "I think I'm about 65%.

I'm glad that Aurek [spoilers removed]

Janusz - "

(view spoiler)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments A query, after you have finished the book: (view spoiler)

message 33: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51924 comments TrudyAn wrote: "A query, after you have finished the book: [spoilers removed]"

That is an interesting thought. (view spoiler)

message 34: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments 76%: (view spoiler)

message 35: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 2489 comments Finished last night.
(view spoiler)

message 36: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Wow! You're fast Jenn!

I have about 45 pages to go. Hopefully I'll finish tonight.

message 37: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 2489 comments Janice wrote: "Doris..."
(view spoiler)

message 38: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 2489 comments Peggy wrote: "Wow! You're fast Jenn!"
It's easy to immerse in a book when he's in camp (just don't tell him), and I don't have any impending tests to distract me lol just
winterizing :( and I'd rather be inside reading :)

message 39: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Winterizing? Already? I have forgotten where you live.

I also finished. I'll reply to comments tomorrow when I'm on my computer.

message 40: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments General questions for those who have finished: (view spoiler)

message 41: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 2489 comments Peggy wrote: "Winterizing? Already? I have forgotten where you live."

Unfortunately, winter seems to be coming early this year :( I'm in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada. It's supposed to be below freezing tomorrow and rumors of snow on Thursday :( So, I'm wrapping taps, digging out the last of the garden, and trying to get ready for it :)

message 42: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Good luck!

I was thinking you must be close to Janice (same state), but that's still about 750km. That's crossing the Netherlands twice, lol. Canadian distances never cease to amaze me. You winterizing too Janice?

message 43: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 2489 comments Peggy wrote: "General questions for those who have finished:"
Question 1 (view spoiler)
Question 2 (view spoiler)

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Sep 10, 2018 09:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51924 comments Jenn wrote: "Peggy wrote: "Winterizing? Already? I have forgotten where you live."

Unfortunately, winter seems to be coming early this year :( I'm in Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada. It's supposed to be below f..."

Hey neighbour!! I didn't realize you were so close (relatively). Yes, snow! I really hope the forecast is wrong, but they tend to be getting more accurate. The news was saying this is the first time in 4 years we'll have had snow in September.

Peggy, I should be winterizing, but I'm in denial. :) Ft Mac (as we call Fort MacMurray) is around 750 kms, but the road doesn't go straight between the two cities. You have to drive south east to Edmonton about 450 kms, and then 300 km straight north from there. If we could go straight across, it would be around 500 kms.

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51924 comments Peggy wrote: "General questions for those who have finished: .."

Re: actions during the war - (view spoiler)

message 46: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments TrudyAn wrote: "A query, after you have finished the book: [spoilers removed]"

I feel the same. I'm wavering between 3.5 and 4 stars, and I think the reason for not being convinced of 4 stars is (view spoiler)

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments Janice wrote: "I finished the book tonight and gave it 4 stars. Most of the war stories I've read don't deal with the aftermath of the war, especially when it comes to relationships. Although this one had the obl..."

Doris and Gilbert: (view spoiler)

Lucy: (view spoiler)

message 48: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15584 comments I feel so conflicted about Janusz and the things he did, especially with regard to (view spoiler)

message 49: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 51924 comments Peggy wrote: "I feel so conflicted about Janusz and the things he did, ."

One of the things I was going to mention is (view spoiler)

message 50: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn | 2489 comments Janice wrote: "Hey neighbour!!"

Always nice to see another Albertan (even if I am originally from B.C.) :)

« previous 1

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Invisible Bridge (other topics)
22 Britannia Road (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Amanda Hodgkinson (other topics)