You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > September 2018 - Reporting

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Sep 01, 2018 02:18AM) (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Please read through the reporting thread carefully to ensure to report correctly to get your badge/s.

After you have read your chosen book(s) for this month's group theme read, please report in the thread below.

Please state your WoF name, what book you read (and link it), that you discussed it (and where), and briefly summarise what you thought of the book and/or link to your review if you have written one.

If you lead the discussion, please state this in your post.

Here is an example for how to report your read:

“WoF name - Sarah. I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and discussed it in the [Harry Potter/Buddy Read/Other books in theme] thread. I really enjoyed the book. I watched the film first so I already knew the story line but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the book more as there was more detail involved. Plus I listened to the audio which was narrated by Stephen Fry who is a superb narrator. 4 stars.”

If you read more than one book which fits the theme, please report all your reads in the same post rather than in separate posts.

Please note, there are THREE different badges that can be obtained for group reads. Those reading and discussing one of the two chosen group reads will receive a colourful badge similar to those for previous group reads. Those reading and discussing any other book in the theme will receive a stamp. The discussion leader for the two chosen group reads will receive a badge stating they led the discussion. Maximum amount of badges you can receive for the group reads is TWO - one for the chosen group read/discussion leader and one for any other book in the theme.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. put your Wall of Fame Name at the beginning of your post as follows: WoF Name - Peggy
2. have read the book(s) before or during September 2018.
3. discussed it in the relevant thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in that thread.
4. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread below, along with a brief summary of what you thought

message 2: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2492 comments WoF Jenn
I have just finished 44 Scotland Street, and been discussing it in the Monthly Theme thread. After I adjusted to the pacing of a serial novel, I really enjoyed it. Not a heavy read, just a fun romp with some fairly ordinary people, with a bit of intrigue, and a bit of romance, and yes, I will probably be adding the next book to my TBR.

message 3: by Cherie (last edited Sep 06, 2018 06:01PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments WoF Cherie
I read Ajax Penumbra 1969 and discussed it in the Monthly Theme thread. I enjoyed meeting Mr. Penumbra in his "early years" and revisiting the 24-Hour Book Store. It was fun reading about the early history and finding out about the previous owners/managers. It was a short story but stuffed full of information and intrigue, even buried treasure. Nice to get another book off of my TBR pile.

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51931 comments WoF - Janice

I read 22 Britannia Road and discussed it in the thread provided.

I gave this book 4 stars. I liked that it dealt with the aftermath of the war and how it affected the relationship of this couple who had been lost to each other for 6 years. You hear the expression, "war destroys lives", but how do you pick up the pieces and move beyond it. This story attempts to do that.

message 5: by Laura (Lclwags) (last edited Oct 01, 2018 06:27AM) (new)

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 598 comments WoF - Laura (lclwags)
I read 4:50 from Paddington and discussed it in the thread. It wasn't my favorite mystery, but it was an enjoyable read. I was surprised by the ending, which I've come to expect from any Agatha Christie novel. Even when I think I've picked up on the clues, there's usually something I've missed. In this book, I don't think it was a missed clue, but it was information the reader was not given that led to the reveal.

message 6: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2492 comments WoF - Jenn
I also read, and discussed in its group read thread, 22 Britannia Road. It was a book about war, that wasn't about war. It was more about the effects and aftermath of war. Secrets and lies, who to trust and when, and is redemption ever possible? It was a well written 4 star read for me.

message 7: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15593 comments WoF: Peggy

I also read 22 Britannia Road, discussed in the thread and I'm discussion leader.

I'm wavering between 3.5 and 4 stars, but leaning more towards 4. What I particularly appreciated about this book was the focus on the years right after the war, and the effect the war years and being apart during those years can have on people and their relationships. I also thought the book was well-written and a relatively fast and easy read (in terms of writing style).

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51931 comments Laura (Lclwags) wrote: "I read 4:50 from Paddington and discussed it in the thread. It wasn't my favorite mystery, but it was an enjoyable read. I was surprised by the ending, which I've come to expect from ..."

Please edit your report and put your WoF name at the top. Thanks.

message 9: by Almeta (last edited Sep 16, 2018 05:57AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10538 comments WoF Almeta
I read 4.50 from Paddington and discussed it in the appropriate monthly thread.

I always enjoy Agatha Christie's novels. The cast of characters reflect a wide array of attitudes and lifestyles. Motives for murder usually abound and generally depict human frailty more often than complicated intrigue.

4.50 from Paddington was no exception. However I did not think Christie gave me proper clues for solving the mystery. Marple made conjectures with seemingly no reason. Motives put forth were pretty weak. BUT why am I complaining,
I rarely solve the mystery anyway. I can guess who I think is likely, but really never gather the actual proof.

I think this installment is easy to read, entertaining and sometimes clever. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Clive (new)

Clive Matthews | 225 comments WoF - Clive

I read 4:50 from Paddington and discussed it in the group read thread.

I didn't really enjoy the book as the 'main' character was largely absent and I found the conclusion of the story to be a stretch of the imagination. It felt as though crucial information about 'who dunnit' was kept from the reader meaning that the ending came out of the blue somewhat. Even after everything had been explained, the motive of the killer seemed unlikely in regard to their actions.

I did enjoy the style of writing and had another book in the series recommended to me so I'm hoping I find that one better when I get round to it.

message 11: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9807 comments WoF: Sandra from PA

I read 22 Britannia Road and discussed in its thread. I gave the book 3 stars. It was hard to relate with the characters, and the story seemed confusing at times, but the author did a good job showing the difficulties people went through to try to have a normal life after the war. Things never seem to get straight again. Characters just seem to keep moving. Really heartbreaking.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15225 comments WoF name: Kristie

I read 4:50 from Paddington and lead the discussion. I thought it was ok, but Miss Marple made some big assumptions that the reader could not have made, so it was really difficult to tie the pieces together without her. I prefer when the pieces are there and you either see it and put it together or you don't. I still gave it 3 stars, but it wasn't my favorite.

message 13: by TrudyA (new)

TrudyA (trudyan) | 1676 comments WoF: TrudyAn

I read 22 Britannia Road and participated in the group discussion. I gave it four stars because I thought the writer provided a good description of how difficult it must be to resume pre-war life following a war. Those who have gone to fight, as well as those who have stayed behind, experience different realities, which can result in people changing in significant ways. I felt a distinct disconnection from the characters, much the same as the main characters felt disconnected from each other and their previous lives.

message 14: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments wof renee

I read 4:50 from Paddington and discussed it on the thread. I enjoyed it. I felt empathy with one of the chars. She is elderly and not taken serious because of it.

I often feel that people dismiss me because I am no longer vigorous. My mind is as sharp as ever its my body that's changing. I think this empathy contributed to my enjoyment of the book. It is not Agaatha's best. Yet it was a real good read.

message 15: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments WoF Tricia

I read 4:50 from Paddington and discussed it in the designated thread.

I enjoyed this book, but I have liked other Miss Marple books more. She didn't feature prominently enough in this one for my taste. Also, I had an idea of who the killer was before I started so that may have impacted my thought. There was a lot I didn't know though, and I was still surprised by some of the revelations in the book. As usual, I would not have been able to solve the mystery on my own.

I also read Fahrenheit 451 and discussed it in the September 2018 digits in the title thread.

This one took me quite a while to read even though it's fairly short. I know it's supposed to be a classic and I felt like I should have read it long before now, but I didn't find it all that enjoyable. It seemed really vague to me, as if we didn't get the whole picture somehow. I know it was supposed to make me think about what our society should look like and where our values should lie, but I was too stuck on how the society in the book worked to really contemplate things more deeply. I still think it's a book that people should read, but I can't say I really liked it.

message 16: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 1194 comments WoF Vicki

I read 4.50 from Paddington.

I haven't read many of Agatha Christie's novels but I have read the first Miss Marple and now this one. I don't find miss Marple particularly endearing but I'll still keep reading them because they are quick, fun and clever. I liked the cast of characters in this one especially the school boys and Lucy. I never solve the mystery ahead of time but I enjoy the way Christie lays suspicion and doubt on everyone in their turn. Still, this was probably not her best work. I gave it 3.5 stars

message 17: by Debra (last edited Oct 01, 2018 02:22PM) (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments WoF Debra T

I read 4:50 from Paddington

Initially, I had posted a few comments, but was too ill to make further comments until today... which I did, in depth! Once you get me started, I just can't stop, it seems!

Overall, I enjoyed reading this one, but would have liked to see more of Miss Marple in the book. My favorite characters were the two young boys. As others have said, it's nice to see that Christie has allowed Miss Marple to age well, and is still as sharp as ever. She's just delegating more work to others because she knows she can't do it all herself. Very wise! I think I'm going to give this one 3 stars. I've read better Christie books than this one, but Christie does write well.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments Badges are posted! Let me know if I've missed you.

message 19: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Thanks, Sarah!