Classic Trash discussion

The King Must Die > The King Must Die: In Progress (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 1082 comments Mod
This topic is for those who wish to discuss the book in progress. No spoilers please.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahmott) | 376 comments I’m really looking forward to this one...

message 3: by Adelaide (new)

Me too!

message 4: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 948 comments My copy is on its way from another library, so I should have it in a week or two. It looks interesting.

message 5: by Junichi (new)

Junichi | 13 comments I`m afraid I don`t have Greek myth basis.But I bought kindle book today.

message 6: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 948 comments Junichi wrote: "I`m afraid I don`t have Greek myth basis.But I bought kindle book today."

That's ok, Junichi. I don't know much about Greek mythology, either. I'm sure you can still enjoy the story, anyway.

message 7: by Adelaide (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Junichi wrote: "I`m afraid I don`t have Greek myth basis.But I bought kindle book today."

That's ok, Junichi. I don't know much about Greek mythology, either. I'm sure you can still enjoy the stor..."

I know a lot, and I think Sarah does too. If you can't find something on the internets, give us a shout!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahmott) | 376 comments Theseus is a mythical hero like Hercules who reputedly founded Athens. I always had a problem with how he handled the whole episode with Ariadne (I don’t want to spoil it, so I’ll park that here). I’ll be interested to see how Mary Renault handles that in the book.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahmott) | 376 comments I’m about a quarter of the way through and, to be honest, I’m a little bit bored. I’m not a huge fan of description, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of sensory description at all.

message 10: by Junichi (new)

Junichi | 13 comments Good morning,I read 8%. Please tell me,what is King Horse?,human?God?horse?something else?

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahmott) | 376 comments He is a horse - the #1 horse in the herd 🐎

message 12: by Junichi (new)

Junichi | 13 comments I understood,Thank you.

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 948 comments My book finally came in from the library, so I will start reading it today.

message 14: by Adelaide (new)

It is a little dry, but I am enjoying it. Even as a young person Theseus takes women and their availability for granted. He's a hero, but like many heros, kind of a jerk with something to prove.

I very much enjoy the contemporary trend of writing about the greek myths through the secondary characters, which kind of avoids the whole glorification of jerks with something to prove. Some books if folks are interested:

Circe by Madeline Miller. It looks like she has several myth related books. I gave this one 4 stars.
The Songs of the Kings by Barry Unsworth. It's about how Agamemnon was convinced to kill his daughter Iphigeneia so they could sail to Troy. It's been awhile since I read it, but I remember liking it a lot.
The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood. About Odysseus's wife Penelope. I gave it 3 stars.
Cassandra: A Novel and Four Essays by Christa Wolf. I haven't read this since college, but liked it a lot.

message 15: by Cheryl (last edited Sep 06, 2018 04:17PM) (new)

Cheryl | 948 comments Adelaide wrote: " Even as a young person Theseus takes women and their availability for granted. "

Yes, I agree. It's a bit hard to read how women were treated so casually by men in this culture, especially sexually. At the end of chapter 3 in the first section, the bard is asked if he'd like to bed any of the Palace women. It also mentioned the House Barons bedding girls they either captured or brought. Theseus himself grabs a girl who belongs to his mother (a slave?) to sleep with. All of that creeped me out. Imagine living in that situation and being casually expected to have sex with random men like that.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahmott) | 376 comments I would just eat a lot of garlic. Or be 41 years old, which is my current strategy. But, seriously, wouldn’t it be great if we were in a society where men were at our beckoned call all the time? I’d be like: “You! Open this jar. You! Theseus, paint my house.”

message 17: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 948 comments Sarah wrote: "I would just eat a lot of garlic. Or be 41 years old, which is my current strategy. But, seriously, wouldn’t it be great if we were in a society where men were at our beckoned call all the time? I’..."

Yeah, I'd be in competition to see how plain and homely I could look so that these men would just ignore me. It's funny you mention the men doing tasks like that. I tell my husband that the sexiest men's calendar for me would show hot guys doing household chores, like folding laundry or cleaning the bathroom.

message 18: by Adelaide (new)

OK. I am half-way in and Theseus is on his way to Crete. Do you think the author knows he is a jerk? It's written in 1958, so I am not sure his attitude towards women is just of the era, or if she is making a comment on it.

message 19: by Cheryl (last edited Sep 08, 2018 05:29PM) (new)

Cheryl | 948 comments Adelaide wrote: "OK. I am half-way in and Theseus is on his way to Crete. Do you think the author knows he is a jerk? It's written in 1958, so I am not sure his attitude towards women is just of the era, or if she ..."

I'm at the start of the Athens section. I was just thinking that I like all of the other characters (or at least find them more interesting) but don't really care about Theseus.

As to the attitude of the author, I don't really see her as pushing her own opinions here. (I could be wrong, though.) Maybe she's just pushing the opinions of professors she studied under or books written about this era at the time?

message 20: by Adelaide (new)

I think it's really funny that the month we are featured on the Group homepage is the one of the months when the book is kind of a dud for some people! (I am in the middle so far. It's okay.)

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 948 comments Dee ~ Chillin’ Out wrote: "I am really enjoying this book about Theseus, but I am a little bit of a history, myth type buff. So I will say no more till the end!"

I'm glad you like it, Dee. Everyone has different opinions about books, so don't let anyone's unfavorable comments affect your enjoyment. There have been times when some of us liked the group read and some of us didn't. Luckily, there's always a different group read each month. That way there's bound to be a book each person will like.

message 22: by Junichi (new)

Junichi | 13 comments I just entered Book2, I can`t finish this book this month. But I will keep reading this book.

message 23: by Adelaide (new)

Junichi wrote: "I just entered Book2, I can`t finish this book this month. But I will keep reading this book."

Feel free to comment on this thread even after the month is over. Let us know how it goes!

message 24: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Adelaide wrote: "It is a little dry, but I am enjoying it. Even as a young person Theseus takes women and their availability for granted. He's a hero, but like many heros, kind of a jerk with something to prove.

I..."

I loved Penelopiad and Circe was amazing.